Confused on all the tinctures i need - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im confused by all the tinctures most woman use.. I dont know which ones are more necessary then others.

Angelica is for placenta retention right? Do i buy the tinctures Alcohol or Glycerin Based? Which one is better working?

Black and Blue Cohosh? Can someone list all the tinctures i need to buy. Im trying to write down everything else i gotta buy and add up to show DH.

I still need to buy  Fish weight scale, my baby wrap, im also buying a Capsule machine kit, coffee grinder, throw away cutting board, Alfalfa Capsules, Red Raspberry tea leaf bags, Thermometer, i dont know what else im missing other then the "Birth Kit" which I DO have.

I have my birth pool, liners etc, hose. im more worried about the tinctures. If anyone can please list the names of them, what they do and websites etc i would appreciate A LOT

Thanks!thumb.gif

#2 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 02:55 PM

I would look into using homeopathic's instead of the tinctures for things like retained placenta. Also Blue or Black Cohosh I would stay away. They can be difficult to use and can cause issues rather than help. I am using Motherwort to ease cramping after baby is born and that is pretty much it.

Me 35 DH 37 DS (7)-- Furbabies Smoaky(15) Orion(5)

saynovax.gif ribboncesarean.gif belly.gifwinner.jpg

#3 of 9 Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM

You don't NEED to have tinctures but if you've read up on them and feel comfortable knowing what you're doing, then they are nice to have on hand. Everybody's different. Personally, the only one that I will definitely have on hand is Shepherd's Purse because I tend to bleed a bit after birth. Ones that I might have on hand are Blue Cohosh, Angelica, and Motherwort.
#4 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM

I have mostly homeopathics too, like arnica for pain. I also have some nice herbal tea blends that my friend made up for me with nettles, motherwort, rose, calendula and raspberry leaf.

#5 of 9 Old 08-27-2013, 03:23 PM

I'm confused now, what is the difference between homeopathics and tinctures? I googled but didn't get a clear answer...thanks for any help!
#6 of 9 Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 AM

Homeopathics are extremely dilute (so much so they don't contain any molecules of the original plant) they are an energetic medicine. The beneifit being that they are no side effects. If you use the wrong one, it simply won't work. But when it provides the energetic stimulus your body needs it can restore the body to a state of balance and nudge things in the right direction. For birth I always keep arnica on hand but would also personally have pulsatilla, cimicifuga (black cohosh) and caullophyllum (blue cohosh).

Tinctures are an alcohol extract of an herb. They are very potent medicine! The alcohol extracts out the active medicinal compounds in the herbs and creates a preparation that is fast acting and easy to administer. You can purchase "glycerites" which are glycerin based tinctures. This is fine for a few herbs, but not most. Many of the medicinal properties are not extracted into glycerin. There are a few companies that make their glycerites specifically in a way that does extract all of the medicine without any alcohol in the final product but unless you know their manufacturing process, it's best to stick with traditional tinctures. It is also importnat to remember that just because it is "natural" does not mean it is 100% safe. There is a time and a place to use the stronger acting tinctures, but it is best to have some herbal background to know what to administer when and in what dosage.

For birth, I would personally keep on hand:

*Motherwort (1 droperful under the tongue in between baby and placenta to help the placenta release and the uterus contract, or 1-2 dropperfuls in water for postpartum cramping)

*Angelica (1 dropperful under the tongue every 15 minutes as needed for retained placenta or clots)

*Shepherd's Purse in case of severe hemorrhage (1-2 dropperfuls under the tongue) but bear in mind that Shepherd's purse can cause very large clots to form resulting in concealed bleeding. You need to monitor fundal height carefully in the immediate postpartum if you've used Shepherd's Purse. Alternatively, you could use Yarrow or Lady's Mantle for postpartum bleeding/hemorrhage.

*Cramp Bark (2 dropperfuls in water for postpartum cramping).

*As an herbalist and midwife I do carry Black and Blue cohosh in my herbal birth kit but I very rarely use these. Personally, I don't think they are necessary for a UC as they are strong medicine, but they are excellent herbs to stimulate the uterus to contract. They can be very useful for uterine atony (the uterus not contracting following the birth the of the baby). However, I would personally prefer to use Organic Cotton Root Bark for this purpose. 

As mentioned in the response above, you dont NEED any tinctures on hand and honestly may be better off not using them if you aren't well informed or comfortable with their indications or how to use them. But these are sort of the basics of herbs most often used for birth. Of course this is only a glossing over of the indications, doses and herbs to use, but I hope it helps :)

#7 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM

I had a UC 2 years ago and had:
Shepherds Purse for PPH ( I have a history), Angelica, and some tincture for after pains. I can't recall exactly what it was.
We administered the SP kind of on a fear-based whim... I think I was afraid to hemorrhage and jumped the gun. Baby was having a little trouble with his breathing and we transferred about 45 minutes after the birth. While at the hospital, I passed out. I woke up to a room full of nurses and a terrified DH. A nurse began to do fundal massage and numerous HUGE clots came plopping out. It was disgusting and terrifying!! I was given a dose of Pitocin and luckily all was fine after that. I later learned if the connection between SP and the clotting. I hadn't come across that info while prepping!
I didn't use the Angelica. I used the cramping tincture for my after pains and it worked sooooo well. I will definitely have it on hand for my upcoming UC in January. I want to say it was Cramp-Ease... but I'm having a brain fart right now LOL!
Needless to say, I will NOT be using SP again. I believe that in most cases of bleeding, nursing baby, gentle fundal massage, and skin to skin with baby solves the problem well. I would also be willing to place a piece of raw placenta under my tongue if need be, but that kind of grosses me out wink1.gif

Brittany-- SAH, Intactivist/Lactivist,Homeschooling,Natural Birthing Momma to Z(03) J(04) E(06) and G&B(09) and wanting a 2011 baby! innocent.gif
#8 of 9 Old 10-06-2013, 04:12 PM

The last post mentioned eating raw placenta...
My last super hippie midwife was a fan of the raw placenta bite. 
But she told us that if it grossed you out (at the time) then you don't need it. If the idea of eating it is not a big deal after the birth, then you may, in fact, need it.
After my HB it was still unappealing to me, so the midwife said there was no need to try. :)

I'm a doula and attended a friend's HB (using the same HB midwife) who had PPH in a prior hospital birth. She ate a chunk of her placenta after her HB, no prob. She said she had been disgusted at the thought before the birth but it was no big deal and it was like jello. Essshhh... ;) But it was exactly like the midwife described... that since she likely needed it she didn't flinch and didn't mind it at all.
Never have read up on that phenomenon anywhere else but it was interesting to see it play out at a birth.

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#9 of 9 Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Jello... OMG. That just made me queasy!! LOL! I wonder if it is more effective to actually EAT a piece versus placing a piece under the tongue. I think I could maybe swallow a few tiny pieces but chewing it... ehhhhh....

If I were bleeding heavily, I would try it without hesitation. My husband is Native Anerican and talks about eating "raspberries" back home on the Rez. He means COW PLACENTA. I always make him shut up when he starts in about the gross stuff he has eaten. Hahahaha! I'm very squeamish :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganPregnancy View Post

The last post mentioned eating raw placenta...

My last super hippie midwife was a fan of the raw placenta bite. 

But she told us that if it grossed you out (at the time) then you don't need it. If the idea of eating it is not a big deal after the birth, then you may, in fact, need it.

After my HB it was still unappealing to me, so the midwife said there was no need to try. smile.gif

I'm a doula and attended a friend's HB (using the same HB midwife) who had PPH in a prior hospital birth. She ate a chunk of her placenta after her HB, no prob. She said she had been disgusted at the thought before the birth but it was no big deal and it was like jello. Essshhh... wink1.gif But it was exactly like the midwife described... that since she likely needed it she didn't flinch and didn't mind it at all.

Never have read up on that phenomenon anywhere else but it was interesting to see it play out at a birth.

Brittany-- SAH, Intactivist/Lactivist,Homeschooling,Natural Birthing Momma to Z(03) J(04) E(06) and G&B(09) and wanting a 2011 baby! innocent.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page