UC questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First, can you post some links for me on the best info. I am kinda getting overwhelmed with the negative when I google search. I am concidering an UC as long as I feel comfortable with it, surprisingly my husband is more comfortable with it then I am. I am in the 2ww so I am not sure if I am even pregnant at this point, fingers crossed... this would be my 4th baby, 3rd VBAC. I have only had hospital births and each one has been more horrific then the last. In my state NJ a midwife cannot touch me (legally) outside of a practice. I know that there are midwives who do, but I don't have a way of finding out that info so a UC might be in my future. It is not labor and delivery that scares me, it is once the baby is born. What do I do, how do I get birth cirt., ss card, do I take the baby to the dr?, how long do I wait?  I am just scared to go to the dr and they call cps or something because I had a UC. Any support and info would be very much appreciated.

#2 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 01:24 PM

I am also considering a Unassisted birth.  Maybe it would help you to know that I had a C-section with my first and have gone on to have 4 all natural babies.  I have had three home births with a midwife.  One thing that is really helping my confidence is I found a website called http://www.indiebirth.com/  They are going to have classes on how to have an unassisted birth available online soon and I am definitely joining.  They also have a free 20 minute free consultation to answer any of your questions and I just signed up for that also.  I hope that helps.

ShaktiDevi likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 AM

I am also interested in what others may suggest! Here is what I have found just from Googling Unassisted Childbirth and Free Birth.

Here is a couple websites: 

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/

http://www.unassistedhomebirth.com/

An article or two: 

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011/10/13/preparing-for-unassisted-childbirth/

http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1387&context=etd

http://voices.yahoo.com/what-know-unassisted-childbirth-freebirth-149838.html?cat=68

Facebook page/group: 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unassisted-BirthFreebirth/226462721209

VeganPregnancy likes this.

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#4 of 9 Old 09-06-2013, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm out of town right now & so don't have my external hard drive with me, which has a bunch of birth handouts on it that I can email to you if you PM me your email address. 

Reading thru old threads here will give you lots of valuable info as well as the sites linked above. And just hang out & read current threads too. 
Many people never take their baby to the dr until/unless such a time that the child is actually sick and home remedies aren't doing the trick, though there is the issue of the newborn screening-for metabolic disorders which needs to be done shortly after birth and then again perhaps about 1 or 2 weeks later, if you choose to have it done...some people go to the hospital for it, others go to their doc. You might call around to Dr offices to see which ones are more lenient/understanding about delayed/non-vaxing cuz those are the ones that are more likely going to understand & overlook a UC. 

As far as the birth cert goes you have to look up your state's instructions on how to get one for a home birth. You often need letters from non family members notarized saying you were pregnant and gave birth to a live child blah blah. Look up Vital records.
Also check out this book, Emergency Childbirth, in its entirety here http://www.rixafreeze.com/pdf/gregorywhite.pdf

ShaktiDevi likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 9 Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 PM

I have had eight UC's and never took baby to the dr after birth. Birth cert depends on your state and usually there is a box to check if you want a ss card as well.
sgnorton123 likes this.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#6 of 9 Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you all so much for the website referrals. This is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you for your assistance.

#7 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM

I found that it was impossible to get info online about UC birth certs in my state (CT) but when I went in to the Vital Records office there was a nifty little packet they gave me and a nice woman who I spoke to.

I am supposed to take the baby in within 10 days to see the doctor according to the paperwork packet. Our doctor already knew I was planning a HB so it'll just be a "Oh no one ended up being there. Can you check the baby?" deal. They are on board with crunchy anyway. And yes I must have a bunch of stuff notarized. But no big deal. Totally worth it but just a pain. I was surprised about how much medical history they ask for from you on our state's paperwork.... I don't think a doctor's office would share that info... wouldn't that be a HIPPA violation? I'm not sure I'll fill it all out. Dunno yet.

I'm due any day now! This will be my 2nd VBAC, but first UC. My last was a HB with a very hands-off midwife present.

Hope some of that helps!

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#8 of 9 Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 AM

love indiebirth!!! ty for the link

jane28edelweiss likes this.

fencing.gif

Shakti & Shiva dancing to this song since Beltaine 2011!

knit.gifFiona, 1/29/04,  modifiedartist.gifRosie, 7/26/05,  and another little  treehugger.gif expected in late November, 2013!

#9 of 9 Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

I have had eight UC's and never took baby to the dr after birth. Birth cert depends on your state and usually there is a box to check if you want a ss card as well.

8 UC's, I find that very inspiring. I hope I can follow in your footsteps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page