UC vs Hospital Birth vs Castor Oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone :)  

I posted on here a few weeks ago because the backup doctors for the midwives I was using said I gained too much weight and would have to have a hospital birth, even though he never met me and the MW's said there wasn't a problem.  I was considering doing UC then, but my MW's suggested I transfer care to another city where my mom lives because the MW's there don't have the same set up with the doctors.

So that's what I did, and DH and I have been staying with my mom for the past few weeks, which has been fine.  However, I am now 41w2d and by 42w1d I won't be able to have a MW assisted home birth anymore.  At my last checkup baby and I were fine and I was 2 cm and 90% effaced, and since then I've been losing bits of my mucus plug.  I've been having menstrual like cramps for the last 2 days (since I started losing plug), but they aren't really going anywhere.

So if baby doesn't arrive on his own in time, my options are:

1. Castor oil (I've already tried the RRL, blue cohash, EPO, sex (which made me lose mucus plug), walking, birth ball, accupressure points, pineapple), which I've heard some people swear by and others say is dangerous.  If not for this timeline I wouldn't use it, mostly because I believe the baby should come when he's ready in an ideal situation,

2.  Hospital Birth - so I'd wait it out, refuse to be medically induced, labor at home as much as possible, then go to hospital.  I'm not interested in this just because I know how hospitals like to use interventions.  

3. Unassisted Birth at home - I'm scared to do this too!  I like the idea of it, but being a FTM makes it more scary for me.  If I'd had a baby or 2 already I'd probably want to do it even with other options available.  

So basically I'm not thrilled with any of the 3 options, but I'm going to have to go with one of them if he doesn't come out soon.  Anyone been in this situation or want to give me advice on what they would do?

It frustrates me that I'm on this set in stone clock...especially when my MW's told me most first time mom's go 7-10 days 'overdue' - so why is just a few more days such an issue?

Thank you.

Carly bf.jpg , wife to Danny namaste.gif (married 2.17.13 stillheart.gif), Mama to Asterion babyf.gif (9.19.13) uc.jpgh20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 04:20 AM

Unless you have conducted thorough research on UC, I would suggest staying home as long as possible while laboring and then transfer to the hospital. Getting into the hospital late enough into labor will take a lot of interventions off the table, and you can always refuse anything you don't want.

I have used castor oil effectively. There are risks, though. That is just something you have to weigh out the pros and cons on.
#3 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM

I've used castor oil as well, and it only works if your body is ready. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked for you! It's the grossest thing ever but you might as well try if you want your homebirth. Oh, and take a nice long walk! Not after the castor oil though, you'll probably need the toilet. 😉Good luck either way!
#4 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgartley View Post

Unless you have conducted thorough research on UC, I would suggest staying home as long as possible while laboring and then transfer to the hospital. Getting into the hospital late enough into labor will take a lot of interventions off the table, and you can always refuse anything you don't want.

This was true for me.  I arrived at the hospital more than ready to push, so really all they had time to do was get a room, get me on the bed, and watch the baby come out.  No IV, no meds, no induction, no nurses checking me every 5 minutes.  But, it would have been a perfect UC too....

It wasn't my ideal, but it wasn't horrible either.  :)

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#5 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. :)

You're right; if we had really researched UC for months (Like I plan to before next pregnancy!), it would be a good option.  But it's not a decision to make spur of the moment.  The other two options would be best so now I'll have to really think about the best option.  Right now I'm leaning towards at least trying the CO; it's not really any different (philosophically, not regarding the risks involved) than any other natural induction methods.

Carly bf.jpg , wife to Danny namaste.gif (married 2.17.13 stillheart.gif), Mama to Asterion babyf.gif (9.19.13) uc.jpgh20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 05:23 PM

I've heard the taste is more bearable when mixed with orange juice, although, I just took it straight. I took one dose, two nights in a row, and I went into labor 4 hours after I took it the second night. DD was born with no issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page