Hi everyone :)
I posted on here a few weeks ago because the backup doctors for the midwives I was using said I gained too much weight and would have to have a hospital birth, even though he never met me and the MW's said there wasn't a problem. I was considering doing UC then, but my MW's suggested I transfer care to another city where my mom lives because the MW's there don't have the same set up with the doctors.
So that's what I did, and DH and I have been staying with my mom for the past few weeks, which has been fine. However, I am now 41w2d and by 42w1d I won't be able to have a MW assisted home birth anymore. At my last checkup baby and I were fine and I was 2 cm and 90% effaced, and since then I've been losing bits of my mucus plug. I've been having menstrual like cramps for the last 2 days (since I started losing plug), but they aren't really going anywhere.
So if baby doesn't arrive on his own in time, my options are:
1. Castor oil (I've already tried the RRL, blue cohash, EPO, sex (which made me lose mucus plug), walking, birth ball, accupressure points, pineapple), which I've heard some people swear by and others say is dangerous. If not for this timeline I wouldn't use it, mostly because I believe the baby should come when he's ready in an ideal situation,
2. Hospital Birth - so I'd wait it out, refuse to be medically induced, labor at home as much as possible, then go to hospital. I'm not interested in this just because I know how hospitals like to use interventions.
3. Unassisted Birth at home - I'm scared to do this too! I like the idea of it, but being a FTM makes it more scary for me. If I'd had a baby or 2 already I'd probably want to do it even with other options available.
So basically I'm not thrilled with any of the 3 options, but I'm going to have to go with one of them if he doesn't come out soon. Anyone been in this situation or want to give me advice on what they would do?
It frustrates me that I'm on this set in stone clock...especially when my MW's told me most first time mom's go 7-10 days 'overdue' - so why is just a few more days such an issue?
I have used castor oil effectively. There are risks, though. That is just something you have to weigh out the pros and cons on.
Unless you have conducted thorough research on UC, I would suggest staying home as long as possible while laboring and then transfer to the hospital. Getting into the hospital late enough into labor will take a lot of interventions off the table, and you can always refuse anything you don't want.
This was true for me. I arrived at the hospital more than ready to push, so really all they had time to do was get a room, get me on the bed, and watch the baby come out. No IV, no meds, no induction, no nurses checking me every 5 minutes. But, it would have been a perfect UC too....
It wasn't my ideal, but it wasn't horrible either. :)
Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
Thank you for the replies. :)
You're right; if we had really researched UC for months (Like I plan to before next pregnancy!), it would be a good option. But it's not a decision to make spur of the moment. The other two options would be best so now I'll have to really think about the best option. Right now I'm leaning towards at least trying the CO; it's not really any different (philosophically, not regarding the risks involved) than any other natural induction methods.