UP, measuring large for dates. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious, for those of you that measured ahead for your dates (with a singleton), how far ahead did you measure and did you keep getting bigger or did it eventually level out? I'm also wondering how common it is to measure ahead, particularly for consecutive pregnancies. 

With my last one, I always measured right on and only topped out at 35 cm with a normal amount of fluid and normal sized baby. With my twins, I started measuring ahead between 4-5 months and then started growing like crazy from there. It seems like there's only one in there most of the time, but I know that the earlier on it is, the easier it is for one to hide if you're carrying multiples. More frequently now, my uterus seems more "full," but at this stage it's still too difficult to tell if my uterus is just tensing up or if I'm feeling a body on both sides. I didn't feel around a whole lot when I was pregnant with my twins, but I did with my last pregnancy, and I do know that I was able to feel a head and butt at least half the time by this point. This time it's just been hard to tell, and I can't seem to tell where baby begins and ends.  (Actually, recently I've been able to feel the head consistently, but then I get confused when I follow the body...not a problem I had with my last one.)

Today while measuring my belly (I do this when I feel like I've gotten bigger, even if it's only been a few days since I measured), I was feeling around, and I felt a hard bump that was unmistakably baby (it "kicked") high up by my ribs, and I could also feel what I believe was a head down by my pubic bone. My uterus felt quite "full," and I don't think it was tensing up because I could feel legs/arms. When it tenses, I can't feel limbs. So I'm thinking, do I really have a huge kid in there, or maybe there are two? I've been considering going in to get checked out. But I'm curious as to others' experiences.

My measurements have been as follows:

12 weeks: 10 cm
14 weeks: 12 cm
16 weeks: 15 cm
17 weeks: 17 cm
18 weeks: 19 cm
19 weeks: 22 cm
20 weeks: 22 cm
21 weeks: 22 cm
22 weeks: 24 cm
23 weeks: 27 cm
24 weeks: 27 cm

And today, at 24 + 4, I am 29 cm.  (That's 7 cm in 3.5 weeks!) It was around this point, I believe, that I started to get significantly bigger with my twins. At 28 weeks, I was 35 cm. I don't really remember any measurements before that, unfortunately.

Anyway, any input/experiences would be appreciated. I realize there are higher instances of complications with twin pregnancies and births, so if I continue to suspect twins, I may just go in to make sure everything is going fine. But I'd rather not if there's no reason to. 

#2 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never had twins but with my third pregnancy I measured ahead and ket measuring ahead. I would say by your measurements you are not likely to even out. That usually only happens when being 1-2 cm ahead. Also, with measuring ahead you probably have polyhydramnios and that makes it more difficult to palpate the body. The reason I measured ahead/polyhydramnios was because my daughter had a brain malformation and a midline defect. Polyhydramnios is usually a sign of an anomaly....or you could just be having twins again.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Im not a UP'er but saw this on the main page and hope you dont mind me butting in. 

After my twins I had a singleton who measured WAY ahead. Not only was she a big baby, but I also just felt bigger from very early (before I would have no matter how big the baby was, if that makes sense). She was born at 38 weeks and weighed 10lbs6ozs- absolutely no GD or anything. Just big roly poly baby. 

I have since termed it my goldfish syndrome. They grow into the space they can. My twins made everything all nice and roomy and so she felt like "Ahhhh.... let me spread out!" 

I am now expecting a singleton again after having triplets last year so I will be testing my goldfish theory again. :p 

Many blessings for your pregnancy and birth, mama. 

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
#4 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM

I think you might also be measuring bigger because this isn't your first. Everyone's different and every pregnancy is different! Also, it could also depend on how the baby is laying at the time. I've never found my measurements to be accurate every time so I don't even worry about it.
#5 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

A little off is very normal, mine were ahead a couple cm and behind a couple cm in different pregnancies. Fundal height is an approximate thing, it's just if it's way off that you start to look into twins or wrong dates.

#6 of 8 Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had any problems palpating the body...I feel a body, it just doesn't make sense.  Like I can't find the end of it.  I don't think it's extra fluid, because I'm feeling body parts all the way from my fundus to my pubic bone. Now that I've been palpating more and more, every single time I do, it feels like there is a body on each side.  Sometimes I think I can feel two separate heads (and sometimes that means one up in my ribs and one down in my pelvis), but it's still somewhat hard to tell at this stage (25 weeks).  It is starting to feel exactly like my twin pregnancy though.  With my last pregnancy, by 25 weeks, I could feel a definite single body in there and push her back and forth.  I could usually find her head and butt with no problem.  I always measured right on for my dates, and topped out at 35 cm.  With my twins, starting around 24 weeks, my uterus always felt full of baby, so I never really tried poking around a whole lot.  It feels like that now.  I never measured significantly ahead with them, but the trend was the same: the farther along I got, the more I measured ahead.  I'm 25 weeks today and 30 cm.  At 28 weeks with my twins, I was 35 cm...kind of looks like I'm heading there.

Anyway, I've scheduled an appointment with an OB to be sure, and if there are two, to find out if they are mo-mo or not and possibly rule out any placental problems such as TTTS.  I'll keep you guys updated.

cyclamen and rlschrader like this.
#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Could be twins! Or could the baby be posteior? My girls were psterior and harder to tell there position. I hve never had twins before so I would go with your gut.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I do have reasons to believe it's twins besides the fact that I'm measuring large/feel huge, on a growth trend that tends to happen with multiples, and it feels like two babies.  And besides the fact that both di/di and mono/di twins run in my family, and I already have a set of twins.

I know when I ovulated, and I think I may have ovulated a second time a day or two after I first suspected ovulation.  I do tend to have pretty long fertile windows that last about 5 days.  When I was about 7 weeks, I had a sort of epiphany that hit me telling me I was carrying two.  I wrote it off as me just thinking of it as a possibility.

Who knows.  I'm pretty much convinced there are two at this point.  I even started to pack my birth kit a while ago (before I had any clue as to whether there were two in there or not), and I did happen to pack it in case of twins.  I guess I felt that strongly about it.  I'll find out for sure soon though.  My appointment is on the 24th.

rlschrader likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page