Anyone have medicaid or state insurance as a back up in case you transport? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious if anyone has thought about how they'll incur the cost of transporting to the hospital during labor if something arises. I'm planning a UC in March and have considered applying for state health insurance just in case I end up transporting so I don't owe many thousands of dollars. My current, crappy health insurance plan has a ridiculously high deductible and doesn't cover maternity care (I bought it to cover potential roller derby injuries - but it doesn't include the "nine month injury". Roller derby anyone? Anyway.) I definitely qualify for state coverage, but I'm not sure that I can just apply for it and not use it.. do they make you see a doctor?

I apologize if I'm repeating a question, but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 09:45 AM

I have state provided maternity coverage for exactly that reason. No, they do not make you see a doctor or anything. At least in WA; you get enrolled in a plan and they send you your medical card, that's it. Although I did choose to start seeing a mw at 23 weeks this time (more for DP than for me) I mainly applied for the insurance to have "just in case." I know no one likes to think about anything going wrong with pregnancy or birth, but I feel more comfortable knowing everything will be covered if something does come up. Those medical bills can rack up quickly and would only add more stress to an already stressful time.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM

No, I don't qualify in my state because of "assets" (ie, one crappy old motorcycle that dh cant sell) even though we didnt have work between March and two weeks ago. Having a up/uc has been my backup plan...preserving the precious last bit of savings we have left in case something goes wrong and we need to transport. Even though I think I might like to maybe (a very slight maybe) have a midwife at least on call for the birth because my dh works out of town, I just cant bring myself to spend that money on what feels like a want not a need. In a truly dire situation, I know what money we have left wouldnt go far in the world of hospital bills, but if it were a small issue that could be resolved with a quick ER visit then we'd likely be able to pay it off without compromising our ability to keep up on everything else. For the first half of my pregnancy we lived in another state and did have medicaid...I felt a lot better about all the what-ifs (from a financial standpooint, i mean) with that safety net in place, for sure. I never saw a mw/ob and was never hassled about it by the powers that be. I would sign up in a heartbeat if we qualified here.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 AM

One thing to consider, if you are not married to your partner but are living together (or for other reasons don't plan to ask for child support) being on medical assistance can interfere. The state will pursue child support from the baby's father, plus $1500 in "birth costs" even if you share a household and don't want a formal child support arrangement -- at least they do in Wisconsin and I'm assuming other states do too. I had a UC on medical assistance and they still charged my (ex) for birth costs (though I did have prenatal care, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for them to ask him to contribute.) if you are married this shouldn't be an issue, but if you're not it's probably something to look into before deciding.

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lia_joy View Post

One thing to consider, if you are not married to your partner but are living together (or for other reasons don't plan to ask for child support) being on medical assistance can interfere. The state will pursue child support from the baby's father, plus $1500 in "birth costs" even if you share a household and don't want a formal child support arrangement -- at least they do in Wisconsin and I'm assuming other states do too. I had a UC on medical assistance and they still charged my (ex) for birth costs (though I did have prenatal care, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for them to ask him to contribute.) if you are married this shouldn't be an issue, but if you're not it's probably something to look into before deciding.

It does depend on the state.  I live in NYS, with my kids' father, and have medicaid and they did not go after him for child support any of the times I have been on medicaid.  In my application for medicaid we submitted a statement saying that we shared a household and he supported the kids and I with his income.  However, if you do not share a household, you generally do have to have a formal custody/support agreement.  So definitely see how your state does things.  

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM

I'm in Colorado, and decided to apply for Medicaid and got it. I've been seeing a doc for "Prenatal Care", but it's at the point where her knowledge and my beliefs are starting to interfere with each other. I'm so thankful I DO have it ready to go, the hospital is 30 minutes away through a mountain valley, but I'm fully planning my UC. Have you gone into Human Services to apply? No harm in that. Good luck mama! <3

User Tag List