First baby, UC waterbirth (legible story in post 6) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-21-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He arrived on yesterday just after midnight, since being in labor for 4 days (active labor for 2 days).  It ended up being an unassisted homebirth with my husband being midwife!  We had to decide on that last minute rather than doing an induction as we were being pressured to do..  My mom and our friend was there too.  6 lbs, 7 oz, 19 inches!  More info and pictures to come. :)

belly.gifnamaste.gifstillheart.gifh20homebirth.gif

3rdtri.gif

Carly bf.jpg , wife to Danny namaste.gif (married 2.17.13 stillheart.gif), Mama to Asterion babyf.gif (9.19.13) uc.jpgh20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#2 of 18 Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM

I can see that there was something written but when I click on the title, nothing shows up.
#3 of 18 Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you quote it in your reply you will be able to read the text.

rlschrader likes this.
#4 of 18 Old 09-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Congrats! Enjoy that newborn and wishing you lots of post baby bliss.

#5 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

He arrived on yesterday just after midnight, since being in labor for 4 days (active labor for 2 days).  It ended up being an unassisted homebirth with my husband being midwife!  We had to decide on that last minute rather than doing an induction as we were being pressured to do..  My mom and our friend was there too.  6 lbs, 7 oz, 19 inches!  More info and pictures to come. :)

belly.gifnamaste.gifstillheart.gifh20homebirth.gif

3rdtri.gif

Quote:

Carly bf.jpg , wife to Danny namaste.gif (married 2.17.13 stillheart.gif), Mama to Asterion babyf.gif (9.19.13) uc.jpgh20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#6 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

He arrived on 9/19 just after midnight, after being in labor for 4 days (active labor for 2 days).  It ended up being an unassisted home birth with my husband being midwife!  We had to decide on that last minute rather than doing a c-section as we were being pressured to do.  My mom and our friend was there too for the last few hours.  6 lbs, 7 oz, 19 inches!  Here he is at 2 wee

VeganPregnancy likes this.

#7 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM

He is sooo cute! Congratulations!!
#8 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 03:41 PM

What a great UC success story! Loving the photo on the leaf too!!

DS blahblah.gif 10/04, DD upsidedown.gif 05/08, DS bouncy.gif01/10, DS  thumbsuck.gif Due 09/13
#9 of 18 Old 10-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Wonderful! Congrats!
#10 of 18 Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM

Congratulations!  He is a handsome little one!  :joy

#11 of 18 Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!! Welcome sweet boy!! :love

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#12 of 18 Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Congrats!!! So cute!!!
#13 of 18 Old 10-11-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

It was a bit scary having to sign that "Against Medical Advice" document to leave the hospital, but bot as scary as being there!  I went in not because anything was wrong, but because my midwives insisted I go for a non-stress test as I was over 41 weeks, despite the fact that I was 4-5 cm dilated and having painful contractions.  I still wanted a homebirth with midwives, so I complied even though I thought it was ridiculous (I was also annoyed b/c I felt I was being pressured to have the baby within a certain amount of time even though I felt I should be able to let him come when ready - I was also pretty much done with midwives as I was with another group who had a backup doctor who, without ever meeting me, insisted I have a hospital birth because I gained "too much" weight and it would be a big baby - he was less than 7 lbs!). 

When I got to the hospital they wanted to keep me before I even checked in simply because they don't "allow" anyone to go over 41 weeks.  Ugh.  They made me lay flat on my back on a little table for an hour even though I was having very painful back labor.  They wouldn't even give me water.  After an hour my husband asked if I could just walk around the room for a few minutes as I was in such pain but they refused.  He told them we were leaving.  The amniotic fluid was "low" and they apparently didn't see him moving enough on the ultrasound (he was always a sleepy calm baby in the womb), and I guess his heart rate slowed a bit after a contraction, so they were freaking out and wanted to give me a c-section.  But intuitively I knew it wasn't right.  Just walking out I felt so relieved.  We decided that even though the midwives wouldn't help me as I didn't pass the test, we were going to have him at home anyway.  He arrived a little more than a day later (Luckily we had the birthing kit and tub already).  It was really painful back labor for a while, but he did come out eventually (I must admit I wasn't sure he would at times!) and was perfectly healthy.  He was born with his eyes open which was awesome.  I was wrapped up in the cord a few times but DH just calmly unwrapped him.  Ash is a really calm baby and I think his birth is part of the reason why.

#14 of 18 Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 PM

How awesome!  I wanted to walk out AMA with my 2nd birth but lacked the courage.  So wonderful to hear how you listened to your mommy instincts and they were right!  Many blessings to you for a peace-filled baby moon.

Lori

#15 of 18 Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

That is so awesome. I was in a very similar circumstance with my first baby and the hospital told me i couldn't leave and my husband backed them up. It was awful You are so lucky. I admire you. Congrats.

#16 of 18 Old 10-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Yahoo Mama! I am so glad to read your confident story, what a birthing warrior you are! I am preggo with a boy, our first baby, and we are planning an Unassisted Home Water Birth. I've certainly been scared at moments when my hormones are raging, but nothing sounds scarier than being flat on my back under fluorescent lights at the hospital trying to listen to random instructions that won't match my needs. I originally wanted a Midwife, but we just can't figure out why we would want to be $4,000 under with a new baby and me wanting to stay at home as long as possible. Thankfully we have Medicaid "just in case" so I've been going to monthly appointments to ensure all is well. But honestly, the Doctor doesn't even say much or do anything, and I certainly wouldn't have paid out of pocket for such boring appointments! Anyway, I appreciate you sharing, and I'd love a detailed labor and delivery story sometime if you're willing! I'm a moody lady, so my only fear per se is the length of time that labor can be, and that in the process my confidence will go up and down. I'm trying to fuel strength with lots of reading. Congrats on your gorgeous angel, I solute you for your bravery! I know all that I need is full belief in myself and my beloved baby boy. <3

#17 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Thank you for the update.  I am in awe of your strength to go against medical advice and do what you felt was right for you and your baby!  To boot, you weren't planning a UC, but had one anyways!  You have my greatest respect, KaliHekate!  :Bow  Wonderful birth story!  I hope everyone is continuing to do well.  :love 

#18 of 18 Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Yes, wonderful story. You have courage. I am courageous at home but somehow the hospital overwhelms me once I get there.
It's great you didn't let youself get intimidated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page