Considering Unassisted Birth... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a mother of 3, now pregnant with my 4th. I had two hospital births that were awful experiences, but when I put my trust in God and hired a midwife I had the most amazing experience with a home birth. This 4th baby was a bit of a surprise to us so we were not financially prepared to pay for a midwife. I have been going to a midwife practice that delivers at the nearest birthing center to me, but it is one hour away. I am starting to have doubts about the car ride there and putting myself in the hands of a birth center that is located inside of a hospital. I want so bad to have a home birth, but I have a few concerns doing it unassisted.

1. What if the baby is breech? I have never had a breech baby but my Grandmother has and boy has she scared me.

2. What if I lose to much blood or hemorrhage?

3. What if my baby isn't breathing? Although I do know CPR.

I guess I am just looking for reassurance or someone to tell me I am crazy. Its hard enough convincing myself but I need to be 100% confident to convince my husband.

#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Breech births are a variation of normal.  You can look up unassisted birth videos to see how it works out.  Sometimes women do hemorrhage.  Eat a piece of placenta and transfer to a hospital if needed.  Shepherd's purse tincture is also a way to handle that.  There is an artery on the thigh that can be compressed to save your life while waiting for help to arrive.  If baby is not breathing perform cpr, run warm water over the placenta to stimulate blood flow to the baby if it is out, if not keep him attached.  Transfer if necessary.  Best birth wishes to you.

MrsCamery likes this.

fencing.gif

Shakti & Shiva dancing to this song since Beltaine 2011!

knit.gifFiona, 1/29/04,  modifiedartist.gifRosie, 7/26/05,  and another little  treehugger.gif expected in late November, 2013!

#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy & welcome to Mothering! I joined for my UC & have stayed through for a lot of other great forums. Our 4th baby was a UC & those are natural/ important questions.

There are no legal midwives in my area but I did consult 1 who agreed to do as much prenatal as I wanted. She met me at 20 weeks to get a baseline for growth & said she'd be happy to meet me around 36 weeks to check baby's position. We were a little more strapped by my late 3rd trimester so I went onto the spinning babies website for belly mapping to check baby's position instead, but I was grateful for her input. Anyway, there's time for you to figure that out.

You could lose too much blood & hemorrhage anywhere, hospital or home. There are some herbs/ tinctures you can take at home but it's a far cry from emergency, on hand care; the hospital can deal w/ that far more effectively than you can at home, especially if your #2 & #3 happen at the same time. My baby came out very purple w/ a pink spot only over her chest. She required lots of suction & stimulation & it wasn't given all that gently. Husband's whole attention was (rightly) devoted to her & had I been bleeding I likely wouldn't be here or had recovered enough to go out & do the milking the next day. I am blessed w/ exceptional health & I made sure to do all I could to keep it last pregnancy as well. If you're not/ can't be comfortable w/ that possibility you may want to rethink your options.

We were able to get a doula & she was a blessing during the whole process. She helped me get what I needed while baby was coming, being attended to & when we transferred for a retained placenta. There wasn't magical fairy dust & a chorus of unicorns during this last birth (like there seemed to be at my first home birth, lol) it was harder though just as rewarding & I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

For myself I don't live life based on "what-ifs", it's all already in God's hands. The concerns are real, they do need to be addressed & then at the appropriate time, let go. I see you doing that now by being here, good for you. There are a lot of other great threads in the archives that will likely address any other concerns you have.

MrsCamery likes this.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The best way to have an unassisted birth that goes off safely and smoothly is to be very, very lucky.  The best way to avoid complications with a UC is to avoid being unlucky.  

WaitingForKiddos likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 01:26 PM

I agree with voon. You should definitely educate yourself as best you can before hand. Be prepared to transfer if need be. But honestly the likelihood of complications I believe are very low and breech although may be little more difficult to get through can still be done at home. I've seen so many videos of breech births unassisted that still went just fine. Also I too believe in not living in the what ifs but have faith that all will be ok. I'm pregnant with second right now and after first birth in hospital feeling quite violated and disrespected I'm planning unassisted birth at home this time in good faith that my baby is in God's hands and my baby is quite safe.
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Go to mothercultureone.com and find her "birth affirmations". I find them very encouraging and have even printed many of them out. Of course being educated is important too.
MrsCamery likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page