rhogam after uc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering how other mothers dealt with getting the rhogam shot after a uc. Would a minute clinic have this? Or maybe I should go to a clinic? Nervous about them giving me grief or being difficult because I had chosen a uc. Obviously I'm rh negative and don't want to risk going without this shot. I know I have 36 hours after delivery to get it done if I remember correctly. We have no idea of husbands blood type. Will try and find out what it is before hand in case he too is, but I'm assuming he's not. Sure would be a relief if he was though considering we have this time to deal with and I think we plan on another child eventually as well
#2 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 04:59 AM

More important than testing your husband's blood, you should test your baby's. If he/she is negative, there is no need for the shot. As for where you can get it: you should be able to walk into the emergency room at any hospital and just tell them that you are Rh-, but your baby is Rh+, and you need the rhogam shot. Not sure if a clinic would have this, but you could always call around and ask.
dinahx likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
The minute clinic is not going to have rhogam. They exist to deal with minor illness, so rhogam is kind of outside their usual operations.

If you're getting shadow care, your ob should be able to hook you up. If not, I'd say the experience of other uc moms in your state is the thing that should most guide you.

While I understand the previous poster's explanation that the baby's type is more important then your husband's, you can test your husband now, and if he's rh-, you don't need to worry about testing the baby. That would make for a much nicer post partum experience, so it's worth doing.

It was not my experience that hospital's would take my word for it about my blood type, or the baby's. The current standard of practice in my state requiredeach hospital to recheck my blood type, and if the record about my blood type was more then about two weeks old, they had to recheck their own tests. If you bring a healthy newborn to the ER for e hogam, you should expect that they will do blood typing on you and the baby, and that you will wait fora very long time. If you can find a sympathetic midwife to do this, or rule out the need, that would be better.
cyclamen likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can order a blood type test for your DH and get one for baby too just so you know what it is for future reference. It's super easy, affordable and kinda fun if you like science projects :wink  I hear you can use some cord blood to type baby so you don't have to prick them.
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Type-Kit-Eldoncard-micropipette/dp/B000FSOCR4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1380506601&sr=1-1&keywords=eldoncard

AND if you discover that you & DH and/or baby don't have compatible blood you can decide after the birth if you need it. The only reason is if there was trauma during the birth causing yours & baby's blood to mix, which causes you to develop antibodies to that type of blood, which could affect future fetuses. 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#5 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 AM

Just to offer another alternative and a warning about relying on the Eldon cards for blood typing -

I'm Rh- and my husband is Rh+. We've had 4 kids all born at home in some version assisted/unassisted. Many birth advocates believe that it's modern birth practices that create mixing of fetal and maternal blood (cord clamping, early cutting, forced pushing, augmentation, etc). Even with RhoGam after delivery, they added RhoGam mid-pregnancy as protocol and still they're getting sensitized mothers. That said, with each of my pregnancies and births, I never had RhoGam. All 4 of my kids are positive (actual blood test) and I'm not sensitized (actual blood test)... I also didn't force pushing, clamp or cut early or have birth trauma. I always figured that I would get RhoGam if trauma occurred though.

The other thing is Eldon cards are not super reliable. If you actually are concerned about being sensitized and want to really make sure you get RhoGam if your partner is + then you'd want to get an actual blood test.

Wishing you the best possible pregnancy, birth and happy healthy babe!
rlschrader likes this.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#6 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks spark! I hear you and I've read a lot that it really isn't necessary unless there's trauma, blood mixing...I really want to go in that direction as well. Only get it if I feel it's needed, still nervous about it though. Debating...I'm probably gonna order blood testkits. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
#7 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Sg, you definitely have my support either way! We all make the best decision for ourselves. Excited for that little one you're building strong and healthy!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#8 of 8 Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM

Go see a MW or OB for the shots. Many will see you just for this, as it is super important.

There is no downside to getting the shots as scheduled, but serious upsides, as you know. True, trauma can make sensitization more likely, but sensitization can happen even without, which is why you get a series, to be safe. If the baby has the right type, you wont need it, but better to be safe than sorry on this one. No reason to risk sensitization waiting to learn the type. Before rhogam, and before any modern birth methods, moms with RH factor lost countless babies. It really is a modern miracle.

(My babies both had Hemolytic disease (HDN) which is what you get from sensitized Rh factors. I'm not RH, but have other antibodies that attck my babies blood (E,C,e). It sucks, and meant long NICU stays for them.)

Good luck with your new baby and UC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page