How to inflate birthing tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. Just wondering how you inflated your birthing tubs, or how you plan to? This time we have the large ocean reef kiddie pool. We had the aquadoula before but the expense is too great this time. My husband wants to use his air compressor, but I'm reading online that you run the risk of overinflating and bursting the pool. Which would be horrible since I have intense back pain due to posterior babies each time. But battery operated pump we have is way too slow, and the foot pump might be a big pain in the butt although I guess it could work. Going to try that next and see how it works. Maybe inflating partway with the air compressor and finishing with the foot pump for the fine adjustment at the end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Air compressors are pretty powerful aren't they? Maybe like you said fill most way and use the foot one for the rest. We have an electric air pump that plugs into the wall. Works great. Think u could get cheap if you wanted one. Also we did a test run couple weeks ago. Moved furniture to where we will want it, inflated the pool. We didn't fill the water tho. I think that part is going to be awful, not so much the filling, but the draining...not that I'll have to do that part. :-) but still would prefer hubby with me after baby comes than working on emptying the pool for a while. Thinking I'll have him leave it a while anyway
Old 10-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'd planned on searching for a foot pump or small electric air pump at thrift stores this week, but then DP surprised me today by inflating the tub with the simple hand pump that came with our yoga/birthing ball.

We've got La Bassine, which isn't very large though has very wide air chambers for the walls. It took her a while, but she said it wasn't too bad... And it's a good thing she did it, because we found an air leak that'll need to be patched.

Our plan is to leave the inflated tub on our patio until needed, then bring it inside and fill it only then. I'm due November 5th, but we want to be ready!

As for draining, all you need is a long hose and somewhere lower than the tub where you can let it drain out... The natural syphoning effect will take care of emptying the tub without any work from hubby! Unless you're in an apartment and thus need to use buckets, in which case yes, I too would make cuddling you & new babe a priority smile.gif
Good luck!

Queer and parenting kid #1, born November 2013 heartbeat.gif

User Tag List