Placenta piece left inside? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-07-2013, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm asking on behalf of a friend. She just had a UC yesterday/last night(YAY!) and everything went well. I'm guessing she had a water birth. She wrote in a message that the placenta looked whole, but it ripped. She isn't sure did a piece get left inside afterall. First I want to ask is it possible to get the piece out yourself naturally, if it's still in there and how? And secondly, what symptoms can she look for, if any, if there is a piece still? I'm thinking everything is fine, just like she is, but I want be on the sure side of things and help her if she needs it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
It probably isn't possible to get any retained placenta out manually now as the cervix will have closed again. And even if it was I would not recommend people go fishing around in their uterus at home. The risk of infection is too great.

Signs of retained placenta are excessive bleeding and/or a boggy uterus, foul-smelling discharge which may be an unusual colour (such as greenish or bright bleeding after brown), fever, chills, aches and pains, reduced milk supply, generally feeling unwell, lower abdominal or lower back pain.

It is not uncommon for a placenta to be complete but a bit lacerated. If she still has it she could try laying it out on a flat surface, maternal side up and just sort of slide the edges of her hands under each side. Cup the edges slightly and any lacerations will come together but there will be spaces if a love is missing. It's not a foolproof test but it can give you a better idea of what you're looking at.

I would suggest that she not delay in seeking assistance if she develops and of the symptoms I mentioned or feels unwell in any way.
cyclamen likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I would hope anyone with common sense would not even attempt to go digging around in their uterus smile.gif I was thinking more on the lines of homeopathy or herbs tho, that could help. I have passed some bigger "clots" myself after birth, in the next couple of days after birth. It can happen naturally that way too of course that small pieces come out with your flow. I have heard of some women retaining pieces for many months. They must not always cause infections then? The placenta came almost right away, very soon after baby was born. Im sure my friend will be just fine-im the worrywart:) Nice to know this stuff otherwise tho!!
#4 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 03:58 AM

No, doesn't always cause either infection or excessive bleeding (the two complications associated with retained products). I have also heard of people passing large clots or fragments some time after giving birth.

Where I work we don't do anything special we just note that the placenta or membranes seemed lacerated/ragged etc so we can be aware if any signs of complications do appear.

#5 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 02:10 PM

#6 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Hi All, I've removed a post from this thread that in violation of Mothering's UA. @katelove, would you please edit your post above to remove the references to the post that has now been removed? Thank you in advance. OP, I hope your friend is doing well and thanks to all who have posted in support of the OP and her questions. :)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#7 of 7 Old 11-09-2013, 06:21 PM

Thanks @HappyHappyMommy. I've remove my post as it doesn't make sense except as a response to the post you deleted.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page