My Essential Oils Cheatsheet for Labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finally finished my essential oils cheat sheet. I compiled my list using many different websites and resources. Also, for budget reasons, I narrowed my needs down to just a few oils with multiple uses: Lavender, Frankincense, Helichrysum, Clary Sage, and Peppermint. I also purchased sweet almond oil as a carrier oil. Many of the listings under "during labor" can also be used "after birth."

By symptom/need:

During labor

Nausea:

Peppermint on the tongue, 1 drop at a time
Peppermint in water: I use this as a diluted sprizter which acts as an anti-nausea agent. Best during transition on a cloth for your face, forehead or chest. This can also be used to stimulate mom to pee if she’s having a hard time going by just simply dropping it into the toilet.

Encourage labor:

Clary Sage
Taking a drop of Clary Sage for example once every 15 minutes to an hour might do it.

Fear:

Lavender – add to bath water at birth or diffuse it in the room.

Blood Pressure (If too low or too high during pregnancy or birthing):

Clary Sage lowers BP if it is too high.

Breech/Posterior Babies:

Peppermint – breech, apply peppermint to the top of abdomen, Posterior, apply peppermint to lower back.

Dilation, if delayed:

Clary Sage, use orally 1 drop every 15 minutes or 6 drops and see what happens over the next couple hours, then repeat if necessary.

Exhaustion:

Peppermint- inhale or diffuse for energy.

Uterine Pain Management:

Keep a heated crockpot filled with purified water and a dozen wash cloths. Make sure the water is hot (but not too hot to handle). Place 15-20 drops of Lavender in water. Have someone assigned to keeping a steady flow of warm, wrung out, wash cloths to place across the mother's belly during contractions. As soon as it cools, replace with a new cloth. Lavender is very helpful for dulling and easing uterine pain; but, it is also good for relieving back and leg pains. In addition, it is a balancing and calming oil that can help to relax the body and ease mother's anxiety. It restores emotional balance, and may also strengthen contractions. During transition, apply Frankincense to abdomen in a carrier oil or on warm washcloth as described above.

Headache:

Peppermint or Lavender is good for stress/tension headaches. Apply to back of neck or temples, but be careful not to get in eyes.

Dizziness:

If feeling light-headed, dizzy, or like you’re going to pass-out, apply Peppermint to chest and behind the ears.
Hold bottle close to your nose and inhale slowly.

After birth:

Trauma/Bleeding:

Helichrysum – heals tissue trauma, stops bleeding.

Stalled Bladder:

If having a hard time urinating after labor, put a few drops of Peppermint in the toilet.

After Pains:

After labor, apply a warm, wet washcloth with a few drops of Frankincense and Lavender on it to the abdomen.

Difficulty Sleeping:

Lavender diffused into the air. Also a drop or two of Lavender on the blankets or sheets make for a peaceful sleep for mommy and baby.

Cleansing Perineum After Birth:

6 oz. warm water, 5-10 drops Lavender oil in peri-bottle.

Swelling or Soreness after Birth:

Soak clean wash cloth in water with 5 drops of Lavender oil and 2 drops of Geranium oil. Wring out cloth, place in a Ziploc, and refrigerate until well chilled. Apply to sore area for relief.

For Grounding:

Frankincense - apply one drop to top of baby's head after birth for calming and grounding.

Cord:

Frankincense – Apply to cord diluted to prevent infection.

Methods of Application: (1) *Spray of 100 cc water with 2 drops e.o on face sheet, pillow, or bean bag or (2) 4-6 drops oil in bath or 2-3 drops of oil in footbath or (3) Inhalation or (4) Massage with 2 drops in 50 cc of almond oil.
#2 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OH! This looks great! I would be really careful with taking essential oils internally/by mouth.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 8 Old 11-17-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Ian'smommaya - completely agree. The only one I would take internally would be helichrysum and only if I was hemorrhaging - so, only in an emergency situation. All of the others would be applied with a carrier oil topically.
ian'smommaya likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 12-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Great list! I hope you don't mind, but I think I would like to keep a copy of that list.

Anise is supposed to aid delivery in childbirth. That may be a good oil to add to the list.

ian'smommaya likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Of course! That's why I posted it. =)
A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#6 of 8 Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 PM

I have peppermint oil and lots other essential oils...maybe I should get the lavender as well. That one I don't have. Avoided it tho cuz my parents love it and have it so I've smelled it and just didn't care for the smell at all
#7 of 8 Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oils definitely have a different affect on different people. Lavender just might not be your thing. There are other oils that can be substituted for lavender in any of these uses.

Geranium oil can probably be used for fear instead of lavender as it has a calming effect.

Clary sage can also be used for uterine pain management by applying diluted to pressure points or on your tummy.

Chamomile and geranium can be used for difficulty sleeping. I occasionally drink chamomile tea before I go to bed; it helps me wind down.

Raw honey can be used to treat perineal tears – it is a disinfectant, anti-inflammatory and pain killer and prevents bandages from sticking to wounds.

Comfrey and witchhazel can be used to help with swelling or soreness after birth. A lot of women I know freeze menstrual pads with these oils on them.
sgnorton123 likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 PM

I would like to add that if you are using Theraputic grade oils almost all are consumable. I only use young living essential oils for that reason. feel free to ask me questions. what a great list! thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page