Chord clamping and care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies, I was just looking for some consolidated guidance/ experience sharing of what worked for you and what you did about chord clamping. What do I NEED to have on hand for delayed cutting, do I need anything to clean his navel while it's still healing? It will be very cold here when he arrives this Xmas, want to keep him clean,warm, and cozy! Considering freezing the placenta for smoothies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whatever device you use to cut it should be sterilized first if possible. If all the blood has clotted in the cord before cutting, you don't technically need anything except something to cut it with (scissors being the easiest option--but candles, a knife, etc. can work too).

Sometimes they can get oozy afterwards. For security's sake, I think it is best to use something to help prevent the oozing from becoming full on bleeding. You can use shoelaces, cotton cord, yarn, plastic cord clamps, or elastic bands to secure the cord. For ease of explanation, let's pretend you use shoelaces...

Tie one shoelace tightly around the cord a few inches away from the baby's navel. Following the cord up to mom, leave an inch or so of space, and then tie another shoelace around the cord. Now you have two areas where the cord is tied with a bit of space inbetween the two ties. Cut the cord in that space between the ties.

You do not need to use anything (rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, soap, etc.) to clean the cord afterwards. Just leave it alone and it will fall off / heal on its own.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:20 PM

Agree with PP, but would like to add that applying myrrh or frankincense to the stump can help the stump fall off faster, as well as help prevent infection.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Love it, thanks! Planning on shoelaces for sure. Love the herbal tip!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Powdered goldenseal is another good one to apply to the cord stump. I would have rubbing alcohol around in case you find you do need to clean it, sometimes they can get pretty icky.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Aside from essential oils because I have no experience with those, I've found that just leaving the cord alone after clamping and cutting works best. It falls off faster.

User Tag List