Do you sterilize cord ties ahead of time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sterilizing scissors ahead of time and storing them in a sterilized mason jar, filled with rubbing alcohol. I found this on a midwifery site. But what about the hemp cord we will tie the umbilical cord with? Should I sterilize ahead of time and if so how do I store it? Should I bake it in a paper bag and just roll up the bag, store in a plastic bag? I'm just not sure. Or boil it then bake it and store in a paper bag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Uh, I'll have the hubby sterilize scissor after baby born probably. I don't personally feel the need to do it ahead of time. I don't know. Personal preference I guess :-) and I think for the tie you soak in alcohol, let dry and then put in Ziploc bag?
#3 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just gotta say, I don't know who these people are who are able to tie the cord with strings. That stuff is tough! We had sterilized strings and they were slippery and useless. So in the moment, we grabbed a binder clip (sometimes called "alligator clips", for paper) and we used that, protecting the cord with a sterile gauze wipe. The clamp is strong on those little clips. Worked wonderfully!

Six kids, sixth sense, six degrees of separation. . . from sanity!
Not sure that I'm crunchy, but definitely a "tough chew".
#4 of 7 Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM

I read to boil the ties and then store them in a ziplock in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
#5 of 7 Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 PM

We burned the cord with two beeswax candles with both of our previous babies and intend to do the same with this one.

The burning cauterizes the umbilicus and is really a lovely ceremony. The heat of the candle is meant to restore chi to the baby as well.

You must hold the cord taut with two hands and it can take a little while for the candles to completely burn through and separate the cord.

#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I do just to know it is already done. I used braided embroidery thread and either used soap and water or alcohol.... let it dry and then bagged it up for use later
#7 of 7 Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
Just gotta say, I don't know who these people are who are able to tie the cord with strings. That stuff is tough! We had sterilized strings and they were slippery and useless. So in the moment, we grabbed a binder clip (sometimes called "alligator clips", for paper) and we used that, protecting the cord with a sterile gauze wipe. The clamp is strong on those little clips. Worked wonderfully!
I will say the thread doesn't stay on for a long time, but it works great as a temp tie off. We actually replace the thread with a tiny hair rubber band on the stump.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page