What do I need to know about Unassisted Childbirth??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello Ladies!

I am pregnant with baby number 7. I have had three hospital births and three midwife assisted home births. I am on the fence about what to do this time - midwife at home vs unassisted. I also feel like I need to know as much as possible about unassisted given that I am due midwinter and my area is prone to ice storms making travel on the roads impossible. So even if I decided to go with a midwife I could really end up unassisted and I want to be prepared. So please point me to some websites, give me some tips, I don't even know where to start!

Thanks!

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#2 of 5 Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, congrats! I found it really helpful to read all the threads under Unassisted Childbirth here on mothering.com. There are all kinds of questions and different things people ask or have to deal with. It helped me a lot to read up on something mentioned(if it wasnt explained here) to understand risks and know the broad range of normal. Being this your seventh(or at least many behind!) Im guessing you have a bit of experience to lean on and follow the little voices inside you. This is my quick reply for the short 5 minutes I had!
#3 of 5 Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Did you end up having a UC?

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

No, we ended up with our home birth midwife. This was a really good choice for us because I hemorrhaged after delivering the placenta and the baby had transient tachypnea. My DH is a paramedic so he monitored the baby while my midwife worked on me. I lost a little over 650cc of blood and was given an oral dose of methergine which didn't start working fast enough so I got a shot of pitocin which also didn't quite do the job. My midwife had to manually remove some huge blood clots from my uterus and massage it back into place. That combined with the drugs helped. Both situations were handled at home and no one needed a transfer. I was glad to have my midwife there as I was in no shape to handle anything and DH can't do two things at once.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

#5 of 5 Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM

I'm glad you went with what you felt was right for you and that it worked out well having your midwife there to help in your situation.  Congratulations on your baby!

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page