Planning on oopsing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm currently 27+ weeks pregnant with my second.

I was originally planning on having a home birth but now I'm considering oopsing. Basically I want the midwife to arrive right after the baby is born, ideally as soon as the baby fully emerges the midwife enters the room. I know it's impossible to get this kind of precision with the timing but I'm wondering how I know when I'm in transition. Also, how long will transition take? I was thinking of calling the mw when transition starts.

Not surprisingly I am considering going unassisted because of a traumatic first birth with a mw that was in a hospital. Am very keen to avoid a repeat and I don't particularly trust mw's after what happened last time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How long was your transition last time?  IMO, it would be very hard to predict how long it will be before you give birth after transition starts.  Everyone is different and every birth is different. If I wanted to "ooops", I'd wait until I started feeling pushy, because then I'd know I have another 10-15 minutes, but that would depend on how far the midwife had to drive too.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#3 of 25 Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Strange pattern/lack of pattern starting up in really intense long contractions (varied timing, double peaks, etc), the beginning of feeling pushy, and feeling scared or out of control are pretty typical transition things for me and I've heard in others. Sometimes feeling hot or cold, shaking, or nausea. Transition signs can start awhile before the birth (I had one that happened at 5-6cm, passed, and I went on laboring calmly and birthed 6 hours later) or just before pushing begins, or get skipped entirely. And pushing can take a few minutes to a couple hours. If the MW's drive is pretty short (less than 30 minutes?) I'd give her the heads up you're in labor earlier on and call her to come when pushing just barely begins if you want her to just miss it.

#4 of 25 Old 12-01-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of waiting until I start to feel pushy. Last time I didn't have that experience due to epidural and didn't feel transition. This is all new. I think the mw is 15 minute drive away.

Any good resources for UC (such as a booklet or something)?
#5 of 25 Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Inspiring and informative site: http://www.unassistedbirth.com/

An old manual that explains things well and pretty well normalizes a patiently, hands off birth attended by a layperson http://www.theperfectbirth.com/gregorywhite.pdf

#6 of 25 Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Have you been seeing a MW so far for this pregnancy? If so have you told her your previous birth story and how you'd like her to be hands off for this birth? Feel her out and see what she says. Some MW's will stay in the other room and let you do your thing, and others aren't comfortable w/that so you need to maybe interview a few in your area if you can. If your choices are limited and your MW isn't super happy about being hands off then an oops could be a good option and I'd probably wait til I started feeling pushy to make the call. 

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#7 of 25 Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was wondering if the mw might be willing to wait in th other room. I guess I could ask.
matlori likes this.
#8 of 25 Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 AM

In that birth I mentioned with my transition coming and passing early and birthing 6 hrs later? My MW arrived 4 hours til the birth, listened to baby once, asked if she should check me, found me at 7cm, then knitted in my dining room until I was pushing and I called her in. That was my only mw attended homebirth and she was great about letting me take the lead, and staying out of the way.

#9 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM

I just typed a long detailed response and now it's gone. I trust that you didn't need to read all that or hear the details of my oopsing attempts!

Here's the short version:

Baby #1 - MW assisted homebirth. Present were DH, doula, my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandmother and then my sister-in-law who happened to be visiting and just decided to stay. Labor was 18 1/2 hours.

Baby #2 - I planned an Ooops. I didn't let anyone know though. Instead of a UC I ended up with a typical HB assisted by a MW. I wanted to be solo with my DH but instead I ended up with my DH on my right, my doula-friend on my left, my mother listening through the door and the MW sitting between my legs -- everyone waiting for me to deliver my baby. It was a fine HB but it was NOT what I wanted. Labor was 4 1/2 really exhausting hours.

Baby #3 - I finally got honest with everyone involved and stopped trying to please them. I wanted to please myself. I wanted a UC. The MW was fine with that. She planned a UC for her 3rd baby as well. My DH was NOT fine with UC. We finally reached an understanding that I was never going to phone the MW. If he wanted her for himself, he could call her. She knew to stay away from me. Labor was an easy 90 minutes that I could have gone Black Friday shopping afterwards.

Baby #4 - Everyone knew the drill. I'll call my DH maybe. It's his job to call the MW if he wanted her. She knew to stay away from me. Labor was 40 minutes 'till pushing but then he was all wrapped up in the cord and took an hour of HARD pushing. 100 minutes total.

Bottom line -- I gave my husband and my children the gift of him being at their births even though he wanted a MW. I gave myself the gift of being honest with everyone so I could birth the way I wanted.

Wishing you a beautiful birth and a happy, healthy baby!

BennyPai likes this.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#10 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

That's so awesome, thank you
#11 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post

That's so awesome, thank you

Well, if I could impart just one piece of advice, it's that you learn from my experience with baby #2, because who knows if you'll have the blessing of a #3 or #4. I really should have been honest for what I wanted and needed. When I began my second pregnancy, it was kind of assumed by everyone (me, too) that I'd do the same HB MW plans that we had with my first, but with a few less people (we had a small party in attendance!). And, I went with that idea, until I got closer to the 3rd trimester when I realized that I wanted something else. That I wanted a UC... it's just I didn't tell anyone. I probably could have had my ideal birthing experience with #2 if I had just shared my wishes.

So, I hope you can share  your wishes, find an understanding with all the stakeholders involved and have the best birth for you and your baby. :throb

#12 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know what my wishes are at this point. The idea of UC terrifies me at times. I don't know that I could handle being that responsible for the outcome if something did go wrong. Really I'm thinking it would be awsome to be alone - totally alone - in a bedroom with my midwife and dh and mom in the other room, but I don't know if mw are allowed to do that. I don't want to have my choices limited in any way by the presence of a mw, and I think that limiting might be inevitable.
#13 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Midwives, in general, are allowed to just sit in another room. You just have to find one that is willing to do that.
#14 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I will ask. Thank you
#15 of 25 Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM

It can't hurt to ask in a specific serious way just to see what her thoughts are on UC. Or even if you just share that you're feeling called in your heart to labor by yourself with others out of the room - that will give her the chance to talk about how much of a possibility that is with her birth philosophy. Most MW do seem to be quite okay with that.

I think you're really wise to explore your options and 'try on' different ideas. It seems like each baby teaches us a little more about how we birth best.

#16 of 25 Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola P View Post

I'm currently 27+ weeks pregnant with my second.

I was originally planning on having a home birth but now I'm considering oopsing. Basically I want the midwife to arrive right after the baby is born, ideally as soon as the baby fully emerges the midwife enters the room. I know it's impossible to get this kind of precision with the timing but I'm wondering how I know when I'm in transition. Also, how long will transition take? I was thinking of calling the mw when transition starts.

Not surprisingly I am considering going unassisted because of a traumatic first birth with a mw that was in a hospital. Am very keen to avoid a repeat and I don't particularly trust mw's after what happened last time.

my transitions were variable w/ each child.

key hints for me-
1. pushy feeling, bearing down heavily w/ each contraction

2. legs get tingly and twitch 

3. fall asleep between contractions (i have done this deep squat WHILE pushing- i have long labors and my body prioritizes)

4. i always just completely give up and decide i'm gonna just die once this is over- transition isn't a wave i can ride, it's like being inside a huge tunnel wave and just praying it will end soon.  and preferably w/out me getting totally crushed at the end.

my transition times were as little as 30 min, and as long as 9 hours (baby twisted and just took that long to shift from posterior to not posterior, then 7 min of pushing and he was out) so waiting for an oops seems really hit or miss for me!

i really wanted to oops.  but i'm a little too uptight and wanted someone there w/ my husband b/c he is NOT okay being the only one there w/ me!!!  my midwife knows i won't even begin to relax into labor until she gets there, so we have a good understanding.
BUT- recognizing transition is so helpful.  my husband is the best at seeing it in my face and then knowing to come in.  he know's he's not welcome unless that baby is popping out.  

my midwife is a knit in the other room (or play on her iphone) and i took baths alone, slept, wandered the house, and she pretty much was there for me if i needed her, but she didn't have a huge need to be w/ me except for the occasional fetal stethoscope monitorings.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#17 of 25 Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM

I am sorry you didn't feel safe at your last birth, and also do not totally trust your current care. You deserve more and better than that.

Here's some info on the end signs of the second stage of labor (how to know when to call because you are close)

Fetal Ejection Reflex & The Urge to Push

The Fetal Ejection Reflex

The fetal ejection reflex is caused by the hormone oxytocin. Oxytocin release happens naturally when the atmosphere is carefully guarded and the mother feels safe and confident  As a hormonal response, the fetal ejection reflex is highly sensitive to the environment. Dr. Michael Odent explains:

“The passage towards the fetus ejection reflex is inhibited by any interference with the state of privacy. It does not occur if there is a birth attendant who behaves like a ‘coach’, or an observer, or a helper, or a guide, or a ‘support person’. It can be inhibited by vaginal exams, by an eye-to-eye contact, or by the imposition of a change of environment. It does not occur if the intellect of the laboring woman is stimulated by a rational language (‘Now you are at complete dilation; you must push’). It does not occur if the room is not warm enough or if there are bright lights

The strong contractions of an authentic ejection reflex will fill the mother with confidence and energy—she will have a wonderful and irresistible desire to get into a powerful upright position. Part of the reason this upright posture is instinctively assumed is because it helps protect the pelvic floor from tearing.

The Urge To Push

The urge to push is a complimentary but different reflex that is caused physiologically not hormonally; and it usually starts to build 10-60 minutes after full dilation. Some mothers experience both, some neither, and some mothers experience one without the other. The urge to push is spontaneous and overpowering. It is most often triggered when the presenting part descends and applies pressure to the rectum and pelvic floor. As the baby’s head descends through the birth passage, the location of any pressure that the mother feels will progressively move downward. Eventually the mother will begin to feel rectal pressure, as if she needs to have a bowel movement. The urge to push usually correlates with this sensation. Pushing feels to many women as though their bodies are already pushing starting at the beginning of the contraction and that they merely joining their breath and attention to the effort. If the mother is not sure, there is no harm done in letting the sensation build until external signs of imminent birth are observed or the urge is irresistible. If the urge to push only comes at the end of a contraction, and not the beginning, the mother can continue to wait and breath through contraction

Because this urge is not dependent on the cervix being fully dilated but rather on the pressure being applied to the pelvic floor, it is possible that the mother could start to push before full cervical dilation. The urge to push is dependent on pelvic floor pressure not full cervical dilation. Alternatively, the cervix could be fully dilated without descent sufficient to trigger pushing which is one cause of the common pause in labor between the first and second stages. A well-toned pelvic floor seems to be correlated with a mother sensing an urge to push at the most helpful time for her birth.

The common means to confirm that full dilation has occurred is to do a cervical examination. Since the examiner in an unassisted birth scenario may not have trained hands to know with total confidence whether the baby’s head has fully passed the cervix, another option is to wait for external rather than internal signs of progress. The external signs of imminent birth include a distended bulge in the vagina, perineum, and rectum. The external signs of imminent birth include a distended bulge in the vagina, perineum, and rectum.

(SB: Signs That Delivery Is Imminent Include:

·       Increase in bloody show or discharge; often the membranes rupture if they haven’t already

·       The mother may experience the desire to bear down

·       Tonally, the mother may grunt during contractions or at the end of exhales

·       The mother experiences a pressure in the rectum similar (and sometimes mistaken for) a desire to have a bowel movement

·       The perineum flattens and then bulges[i])

[i] Oxorn-Foot. Human Labor & Birth. 5th Edition. East Norwalk: Appleton-Century-Crofts Publishers. 1986. P 128

before full cervical dilation. ervical dilation.

stick with it. But I don'esult in se. the most helpful time for her birth. s

#18 of 25 Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!
#19 of 25 Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great topic, OP.  I've been thinking of doing this.  I've talked with my DP.  Now that I've read some of these replies, I'm thinking of asking the MWs about a hands-off, leave me in the birth room until I request their presence approach and see how they respond...

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#20 of 25 Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to wait until the end to call, like when I start to feel pushy. Last time my mw was awful.
#21 of 25 Old 01-02-2014, 10:01 PM

At the start of transition I always throw up a little, with my youngest I just dry heaved, but that's the sign I'm hitting it. I usually realize right after that I'm completely dilated and begin losing my reasoning.

I love the post above that talks about difference in the urge to push and the fetal ejection. I honestly feel if my midwife wasn't in the room I would have birthed easier. Especially with this pregnancy, I'm just drawn to being alone to birth.
#22 of 25 Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM

I never had an urge to push myself. I went from contractions getting closer and closer down to a minute and a half to two minutes, then went into transition I guess. Went back up to every six minutes or so but much more painful. Then getting closer and closer until one on top of the other and my body just literally ejecting the baby. I had no urge to push and no control over it when it happened. Was quite interesting actually. Never experienced that before as my first was hospital induced and on pitocen
#23 of 25 Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow snorgton good explanation. I too was on pit last time so it'll all be new for me.
#24 of 25 Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Mine have all 4 been natural Sngorton; that happened w/ my 2nd & it was amazing. Nothing, then I could see my stomach getting bigger & bigger than I ever thought it could.

sgnorton123 likes this.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#25 of 25 Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM

That's exactly what I'm thinking. My fiance feels more than comfortable being alone, I assured him last night that I was glad he supported me and believed in my ability to birth but that I would only feel comfortable if he would take a very active role in learning the process. As in, watch graphic human birth footage and read, read, read and listen to my childbirth education course, basically a crash course in an emergency birth that isn't an emergency :) I'm happy to heads up a mw and then call her when I'm pushy, she's about an hour away, but then I can have the birth I want and aftercare I may want. (In my perfect picture). We are 10 minutes from 3 hospitals, if transport is necessary we will act accordingly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page