We are pregnant for the tenth time. We have 6 children, the losses were early in the pregnancies. This time it is TWINS!!!! So excited! Twins are common in my family, with zero complications during birth. My babies are always almost 9-10 lbs, my family usually has 7 lb twins. In Alberta Midwives are not able to care for twin pregnancies. So I am stuck with an OB, though my midwife is going to try to do shared care and be at the hospital for the birth. We plan on continuing with the prenatal care with health pros. Here is the thing though. We are 1 hour away from the hospital. My labors are fast! 2 hours max, last baby was 1 and 1/2 hours start to finish. We waited 10 mins to know for sure, had to wait 20 mins for childcare to come, 40 mins driving, pulled over to push, was moved to the ambulance one push from crowning, and he was born on the way. I am always stuck laboring in the front seat of a vehicle! It sucks, hubby wont have it again. We were told that we will need to either get induced or move into town at 30 weeks. We will not do either. Hubby wants us to avoid the hospital, he says he is sick of watching me get pushed around and told what to do. We are considering an UC at home if it starts there, or getting a room if we are in town.
None of our family and only one of our friends (who we will call to help with the kids) will be ok with this. I will not have a support system. What do we tell the dr when they ask us to move again? If they get too pushy can we just stop going?? I just want care so that we can monitor the positions of babies, and our health. With how far we are from the hospital I want as few surprises as possible.
I do not know what I am asking here. Just looking for some advice on getting ready, how to get support, and what ever else I might need. Any thoughts or words would be helpful. I know I can do this birth!
We are super happy about the twins. I do not even want to think about how big i will get though!lol. the US shows that everthing is fine, and I plan to get another one or two US to check placenta posision and babies positions as well. though i know they can flip at any time. I have started to study Emergency Childbirth for help with bleeding and breech. Even if we choose later on to go to the hospital, I think it would be unwise for us NOT TO study for an UC. Unless we move, at least one baby will be born with us only. My brothers were born 5 mins apart, my sister and I 2 mins apart, and my neices 10 mins apart.
If we were to call an ambulance if we notice lets say, feet first. If baby comes and we finish on our own, everything is fine, can we call off the EMS? if they do come, and it all works out fine, do we have to go with them?
We have Blue Cross, so ambulance is covered, although I do not know what it would be if they ended up going away without us?? I wish I was closer, but we live on a farmstead. We can only afford to eat from our farm, so we have to stay at home. We could not afford to feed everyone, and pay for two homes to live in from 30 weeks, not to mention the loss of work. Too crazy!
I'd say keep going with prenatal care since you are feeling you need it. If they're hounding you about moving or inductions or whatever, just smile and give your best answer, whether it's a flat out, "no, thanks," or "we've got it covered," or just be agreeable and say "okay." It's really none of their business, and you could tell them that, too. For me, I just went to all my appointments until I gave birth. No biggie.
Anyway, my first birth was a wonderful twin UC. I didn't really need anything special, just the obvious two of everything that's going to be for them. If you're interested, I'd be happy to share their birth story. :)
(Btw, I have short labors too, twins was 4 hours and last baby was 1 hour!)
I would just add that I wish I would have had a doppler heart monitor last time. If it feels right, go for that UC!! Good luck :)
Mommy to Adilene Faithand Damon LeeWife of Joshua
Breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering x2
With your history, an induction with a favorable cervix would probably have a good chance of being a normal vaginal delivery. That situation of being pulled from house to car to ambulance and frantically trying to avoid birthing on the side of the road does sound totally wretched. I would want to avoid it too. But planning to stay near the hospital or having an induction would be the most likely to avoid the ambulance mess. Transferring with two newborns, 6 other children, while you're hemorrhaging is not going to be easier than moving to town while pregnant- why not closer to term than 30 weeks? Maybe it's not your OB's ideal plan but it's not about his ideal, it's about what is possible for your family.
At home amongst the redwoods with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 Instant CNM, just add !
Oh yes! Birth story please! I would love lots of twin birth stories, and even stories "when things went wrong" I do need to see how when things come up, others act and deal with it, even if it is a transfer! So happy to have found somewhere to get advice and support, for what our family may need.
To be more clear, my husband is not the kind of man to insist on what I do or do not do when it comes to labor and birth. He is not telling me to do anything, only letting me know that this crazy idea of doing a home birth on my own is not crazy at all. I had a hard time getting him to like me going to a midwife last time. But he came around with time while I did what I needed to. I understand that a transfer and so on would be a lot to do as well. But we are a single income home with a farm to run, leaving is not an option for any longer than a few days. I also feel very strongly that I need to make sure that this time I do not get rushed at all. I feel these babies need all the time that they will take. I have done a induction by breaking the waters, it ended well, but was terrable to do. Also worried that as soon as things get messed with they will put me on the clock. As it is they only give you 30 mins- 1 hour to birth the second baby.
I am going to be very greatefull though if I need to go in to have the MW there to help out.
I had my twins unassisted. They were born at 38 weeks 3 days. It was by far my easiest birth. both babies were born in the caul baby B was breech. Baby A was 6 lbs 4 oz (same as his older brother) and baby B was just 5 lbs. I stayed with my OB (midwives also could not continue my care) until the end just in case I changed my mind.
I would be happy to answer any questions best I can. Do you know what kind of twins you are having? do they share a placenta?
That would be my question too. I personally think it's too early in the game to be totally set on a UC for twins. Mine were identical, but they didn't share a sac. Both babies were vertex and whatnot. I pretty much just said that as long as the pregnancy went well, and then labor went well, we'd be having two babies at home. Lol.
Here's my twin UC story:
This, exactly. There is quite a bit of increased risk with a mo-mo birth, the babies would also be at higher risk for complications in utero. Very good news that they are fraternal!
Yes I am going to take my time finding an OB that I really like, so that I can get along ok if I need to. If it does work out for us to have both babies here. For how long do I need to make sure I have my husband or a friend around after? For if bleeding starts up ect? I am also wondering if there is anything I can do to help increase the chances of my unterus closing up well enough to prevent bleeding. Twins are known to stretch out the uterus quite a bit. Also is there a place that I can ask for help to figure out what kind of help I will need, maybe for if I need to go on restricted activity, to keep babies in longer, or after to help with house and kids and learning to care for twins. I have a mom that lives 10 min away, but she works so would need to get time off to help, and I think I could ask my church family to help out too. Just not sure what I will need???