Update, no UC for me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

But it's hard to be unhappy when I came home from the hospital with my beautiful baby. My blood pressure shot up crazy high, over 100 on the bottom number. I knew it was serious, called my doctor and went to the hospital. Besides several months of stable edema (swelling) which is normal in pregnancy, I hadn't had any other symptoms. Traveling to the hospital must have driven up my bp even more, as I started having bad stars in my vision. After we arrived, I actually had eclampsia, which I don't remember, and the baby was delivered via emergency c-section. I hate that I needed a c-section, but I'm not against them when it is truly needed like in my case.

My little girl was 6 lbs and passed every test. I needed a little longer, but seem to be fine. Very happy to be home with my sweet lo, even if it was nothing like what I'd planned.

Blood pressure problems are like a silent killer because you don't feel sick at all. You feel fine. I encourage all UCers to check their blood pressure regularly, especially in the last 12 weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Congratulations!! So happy you and your baby are safe at home. smile.gif
#3 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 02:27 PM

Congrats on your baby! Sorry you didn't get the birth you intended..
#4 of 19 Old 12-20-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

It was all very strange, but I think it'd have been much more scary if we hadn't prepared as much as we did for a UC. My baby was 3.5 weeks early. I'm still a little amazed she is here with me instead of still inside of me!

#5 of 19 Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Congrats on your healthy baby! Eclampsia is nothing to fool with, so glad you and baby are safe!

For next time around, here's some info. on pre-e and how to easily prevent: http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id36.html

Ladynirvana likes this.

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!
#6 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, everything else I've read about pre-eclampsia says they don't know the cause but that it has something to do with the placenta. I actually did have good nutrician and low salt intake this pregnancy. Not sure how much doing more of that would have made a differnece in my case.

#7 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I'm sure nutrition is a factor for many with it, high protein and moderate salt is great and could lower rates, but yeah they can't pin down all the factors of pre-e. So glad you are happy with how things worked out, and that your baby is safely in your arms and you doing well now! Congrats on the birth!

#8 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Congratulations. 3.5 weeks early was why I didn't get my homebirth. LO had a stay in the hospital to help his lungs along. Glad you're home already.
#9 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Congrats on your baby. I think it's great that you did what had to be done and don't seem traumatized by it. I was just talking with my partner today about how I want to mentally prepare a bit for the possibility of a c-section and have it be positive even though its not what I really want. It's inspiring that you did that, so nice to hear.
BennyPai likes this.
#10 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy9 View Post

Interesting, everything else I've read about pre-eclampsia says they don't know the cause but that it has something to do with the placenta. I actually did have good nutrician and low salt intake this pregnancy. Not sure how much doing more of that would have made a differnece in my case.

Right, it's low salt intake that CAUSES the issues (or exasperates it) - please visit the link I sent and read.

Ladynirvana and Margo B like this.

SAHM to 2twins.gif (twin DDs, 6). One on the way Aug 14' joy.gif!!! Looking forward to (again!): belly.giffemalesling.GIFbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif Looking forward to (1st time!): stork-suprise.gifhomebirth.jpgplacenta.gifencapsulation!
#11 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Nonsense.

Preeclampsia cannot be "easily" prevented because its causes are not at all clear. Every single reputable medical authority agrees that we're not sure what causes it. Nor is there any real evidence for the Brewer diet. You shouldn't believe everything you read online. 
Alenushka and mothercat like this.
#12 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

FarmerMomma- I was worried about my baby's breathing too, but luckily she was okay. For me, that is the scariest thing about delivering early. Hope your little one caught up and is home now.

Viola P- It was such a shock, it is taking a while to process, but I always said I would go to the hospital if I needed to and I meant it. My baby is worth it, even the parts I don't like.

Twopeaedpod- I've been to that site before. I like what it says about diet and getting twins to term. I watched my salt but did not eliminate it for that reason, starting when leg and foot edema (swelling) happened at about 7 months.

Belive me, I've speculated a lot about how I could have avoided pre-e and what I could have done differently to not have a seizure or c-section. I had pre-e with my first and because of this last one, I'm predisposed to it from now on and will always be high risk. I may never get to have a homebirth if I have more children. I think the thing most likely to lesson my chances of pre-e is to not weigh over 200 lbs at the end of the pregnancy. I should weigh 150ish normally, non-pregnant. I started this last one right at 200 (and only gained 30). But even that may not be the answer.

I love that we try to help each other on this site even though sometimes there are no easy answers.

BennyPai likes this.
#13 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Yeah and sometimes there really isn't anything anyone could do, or could have done differently, to prevent a situation. Sh*t happens, there's stuff that's just beyond our control.
Alenushka likes this.
#14 of 19 Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks Happy. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks. He's now a happy, healthy 7 month old.
#15 of 19 Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Eclampsia!  Yikes!  So good to hear you are doing well.  I am often uncomfortable with giving too much weight to what we do and what the outcomes are-- because as mothers, we have an innate drive to feel guilty (maybe that's just a stereotype) and that feeds into it.  So, you do everything that you can to optimize your health, and then combine that with acceptance of the things that will go wrong anyways.  My good friend followed a diet similar to what was described above, was seeing a holistic practice that integrated nutrition, and ended up with HELLP and a very premature birth.  So, just to be 2-faced about it, 1) I am uncomfortable with the statement "how to easily prevent pre-e" and I hope no seeds of guilt were planted for anyone with that 2) It's great that your instincts with seeing those BP numbers was to get help fast, because IMO getting to the hospital before you started seizing was awesome.    

I am sorry about the loss of the UC, and the "future potential" losses for home birth.  Sometimes it's hard to grieve that when everyone keeps focusing on the "healthy baby healthy mom" aspect.  But feel free to wallow in it a bit if you need to.  It sounds like you had a good team that got done what needed to happen.  I had a planned-homebirth turned premature emergency, and having a team around me that a) clearly did save my DD's life and b) was making decisions that I was a part of (when possible) and that I understood helped a lot.

BennyPai and rlschrader like this.
#16 of 19 Old 01-02-2014, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations, Mama!  And Welcome to the world, little one!  :heartbeat

Thank-you for sharing, it is helpful to learn more about this and hear stories of what it can be like.  Sorry, this is a little off-topic, hope you don't mind:  I have never owned a blood pressure device.  I checked online and there are many options.  Does anyone here have a recommendation for an inexperienced user? 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#17 of 19 Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

My doctor wanted me to have one with a cuff that goes around the upper arm after I left the hospital. I don't remember what brand I have though...

#18 of 19 Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Omron is a good brand.
#19 of 19 Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is easy to use:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Omron-3-Series-Blood-Pressure-Monitor/15715279

Make sure your cuff is the right size. Larger mamas may get a false high reading if you're not using a large cuff.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page