Unassisted Home Water Birth with 1st Child! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first born son will be 2 weeks tomorrow. I had a successful unassisted birth on December 18th with my mother and husband present. The labor was only 6 1/2 hours. I had been walking a lil under a mile and a half every day from about 6 months and before that I was working at a surf camp. The day I went into labor I had walked about 3 miles and had a swim in the ocean. I think the walking and active lifestyle (i skated and surfed a couple times with big tummy!) contributed to the short labor. I never really felt Braxton Hicks. At around midnight on the 18th, I woke up with my first contraction. I never timed my contractions but they were definitely less than 5 minutes apart right from the start. I labored through the night with very little rest in between very strong contractions. Around an hour and a half before my son was born, right when I looked at my mother and told her "I cant do this any more," transition was over and i was into the "pushing" stage. The contractions weren't as strong and I had more rest in between. My mom had just read in Sheila Kitzinger's "Pregnancy and Childbirth" book that she referred to this as the "rest and be thankful" stage. Boy was it a relief! It felt really good to push with each contraction but in hindsight I think I may have pushed to hard and this might have been the reason I tore pretty bad. My son was born at around 6:30 am, he came out crying but hasn't cried since! He is so good and calm and we are convinced this is because of his mellow entrance into the world with no one grabbing him away and disturbing him. Around 20 minutes later (not really sure of time as you sort of lose a sense of time!) I birthed the placenta with a bit of a push. My mom and husband were a bit anxious about the placenta and cutting the umbilical cord but I assured them we should wait a lil. I would have waited longer. But we didn't need to tie it off. I instructed my mom to cut it nearer the placenta and it hadn't totally gone limp yet but there was only a little blood. My mom then shimmied on the umbilical rubber band i had ordered and clipped it on about an inch away from his belly button and we then cut the cord again. After examining myself I realized I tore pretty bad and we were a little concerned. We were sure I needed stitches but were not about to go to the hospital and have them take the baby and defeat the whole purpose of the home birth! The 2nd day it didn't look any better-I had torn inside and was really swollen! After doing research we decided to just leave it and let nature take its course. We had read a lot about stitches going wrong and it taking way longer to heal plus we tried to call a doctor to come to the house but they said we'd have to go to the hospital. I'll admit I was sorta freaked out about having a weird looking vagina and needing plastic surgery later on. But 2 weeks of staying put on bed rest and putting seaweed on it from time to time (we are very homeopathic around here!) and it looks totally normal! the perennial tear (right up to the anal sphincter)  has jelled itself back together and the once mangled inside tear is gone. The body is amazing and magical if you just let it do its thing and not interfere so much! I am so happy I decided to go unassisted with my first and cant imagine doing it any other way. Power to the unassisted! And you can do it with your first!

#2 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

That's so awesome! Congrats on your baby and successful uc! And also great that your tear healed up nicely! Thanks for the birth story!
#3 of 10 Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wow! That's fantastic. Hmm maybe I didn't really need stitches with my first. It was a natural hospital birth and boy did those stitches hurt and feel so weird.
#4 of 10 Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 AM

Congrats!  I also had an unassisted home waterbirth with my first back in September.  I wasn't as active as you throughout my pregnancy so my labor was longer (though the really intense part was only 5 hrs or so...but I had painful, fairly close contractions for DAYS before). It's a great feeling, isn't it?  I wasn't planning on it but midwives wouldn't help me since doctors were pushing for a c-section but I just knew that wasn't right for me.

Carly bf.jpg , wife to Danny namaste.gif (married 2.17.13 stillheart.gif), Mama to Asterion babyf.gif (9.19.13) uc.jpgh20homebirth.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#5 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!  Thank-you for sharing your birth story. 

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#6 of 10 Old 01-02-2014, 07:11 AM

Congratulations!! With my first I tore, too, and it really scared me because it *looked* so bad. A couple days after I uc'd I had a midwife come check up on us and she was like, oh you're fine its just a skid mark requiring only one stitch (for looks she said, but she didnt give me one). But rally it had looked SO bad!! I guess the common saying is if you put one torn labia (or something like this) on one side of the room and the other on the other side of the room they'll find each other. Just continue to give yourself as much rest as possible!! And enjoy your little bundle!!!
#7 of 10 Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 PM

That's awesome! I love hearing stories like this and knowing just how amazing our bodies are. I wish more would listen to them and rely on nature to do it's job. Thanks for sharing!

#8 of 10 Old 01-05-2014, 02:42 PM

Congratulations mama!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#9 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM

Congratulations!  Thank you for sharing your story!

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#10 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Simple and sweet wink1.gif

It is great that you continued to exercise into the late pregnancy. I need to exercise more and get better nutrition before I get involved with another pregnancy. I wish I had habit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page