My Healing Unassisted Birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-31-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first childbirth was wrought with interventions, partly because I didn't know any better, partly because of hospital policy. As soon as I arrived in L&D, I was cathetered because I had discontinued care with my rude sOB at 32 weeks, and, of course, not wanting to subject myself to her rude comments any longer was a clear indication I was under the influence of drugs. During labor, I received morphine intravenously, and I was hooked to a fetal monitor. I pushed Portia out lying on my back after 5 hours of labor - 2 1/2 hours in the hospital. They didn't let me hold her for the first 20 minutes of her life, resulting in latch and bonding issues. I had 2nd degree tears, but was otherwise healthy. Baby was perfect. When my husband requested Portia and I be released after several hours, we were told insurance wouldn't pay if we left AMA, and CPS would be called. We were held in the hospital for 2.5 days under duress. My husband and I agreed subsequent babies would be born at home.

Four months later after a missed period, I tested positive on a pregnancy test. After a single visit to a hospital midwife, we went through the remainder of the pregnancy unassisted. My UP routine wasn't anything special. I ate healthy and exercised moderately. When I felt faint or dizzy, my husband checked my blood pressure. I checked my protein and sugar levels approximately twice a month (not on any kind of schedule. Just whenever I was in the bathroom anyway and thought of it). We "attended" childbirth classes via Google Hangouts with an UC-specific instructor. She was absolutely wonderful!

I woke up at 0530 on 18 December. When I timed the contractions, they were 1.5 minutes apart. My "perch" for the first 15 minutes of labor was the toilet with the lid down. I rocked back and forth while moaning an "oooo" sound. I woke my husband up around 0545 (he wasn't really awake for another 30 minutes). I moved from the bathroom to my vanity stool in the bedroom and continued to rock and moan (I'm thinking the rocking helped move Piper down). I first requested my husband bring a full gallon of water into the bedroom. I sipped throughout labor. So refreshing! I also requested my fluffy throw, as I switched from hot to cold several times. A few times, I had my husband apply counter pressure to my back. Around 0710, I started screaming through contractions. I begged my husband to take me to the hospital to get morphine again. Fortunately, my husband recognized that I was going through transition and didn't really mean what I was saying. He told me I was strong and beautiful and that he believed in me and my body's ability to birth autonomously. Additionally, to help with the pain, he filled our crockpot with water, plugged it up in the bedroom and added 4 drops of lavender essential oil. He also applied diluted clary sage to my ankles and put my slippers on my feet. Almost immediately, my confidence returned and the pain dulled somewhat. 20 minutes later, I had the all too familiar feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom. To confirm my suspicions that Piper was ready to come out, I stood and pushed a little. I felt her crown. I yelled for my husband to throw a few chux pads on the floor. I got down on my hands and knees and pushed with the next contraction, revealing half her and breaking my waters. I pushed once again, and she slipped out into my husband's arms. 6lbs, 12oz. She immediately pinked up and belted out a strong cry. I didn't tear at all. I flipped over and held Piper to my chest as I waited for the placenta. When the after pains became too much to bear, I handed her to my husband. The placenta came out around 0800, 30 minutes after Piper.

We had planned a lotus birth, so we drained and wrapped the placenta. After 14 hours, we decided to cut the cord. The cord had shriveled to only a centimeter in diameter, and we feel she greatly benefited from the extended delayed cord clamping. She is now almost 2 weeks old, and she hasn't lost an ounce.

My relationship with my first child was damaged by western medecine. By believing in my amazing God-given abilities, I have been healed. I feel I can be a better mother to both my children.
#2 of 7 Old 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, thank you for sharing your story.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#3 of 7 Old 01-01-2014, 12:20 AM

Love your story bc! Sounds so much like mine! Awful hospital birth that I felt like I was being held prisoner, although mine let me go sooner than you, and just had my first uc a week ago and so much happier with this birth of course :-)
bcgartley likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thank-you for sharing your birth story.:happyt

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#5 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
That is so amazing. Your first birth sounds similar to mine. I'm pregnant with my second and would love to have that kind of experience. Thank you so mich for sharing.
#6 of 7 Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 AM

Hello beautiful strong mothers! I am pregnant with my second child and am choosing no prenatal care. I had previously chosen a birthing center for my first son. At first everything was a dream, very home-like, the midwives were great, but it was not as natural as a process as they claimed it would be. I found myself very tired going every week at the end of pregnancy just for them to say hi then bye... not to mention how much that cost. ON TOP OF THAT, THEY GAVE MY SON THE WRONG SHOT AT BIRTH. THEY GAVE HIM A SHOT THAY WAS MEANT FOR ME. I was in shock and didn't know how to respond. upon speaeking with cdc we were assured my 2 hour old son would survive..they hoped. GOD BLESS he is alive and healthy. Looking at the rates it is about 3800 for homebirth midwives.... what the heck is that?! I am in awe of this state we are in. I believe as women we should be learning how to birth eachothers children or our own. WHERE IS OUR COMMUNITY FOR WOMEN/MOTHERS?? The only reason they want you to do it in a hospital is so they're pockets swell. BUT, I DO RESPECT A MOTHERS CHOICE- DO WHAT IS COMFORTABLE/APPROPRIATE FOR YOU AND YOUR CHILD. AND I BELIEVE ONLY THE MOTHER WILL KNOW THAT! SO NO JUDGEMENTS ONLY LOVE! I BELIEVE IT IS TIME TO EMPOWER OUR WOMEN AND MOTHERS! this is a very natural process that has been made to be comfortable in another manner than nature intended. Every women is capable of delivering her child. Just be safe and smart. Listen to your body. I have had worse pains then laboring pains throughout my teens ( ovarian cysts caused by pearl tampaxx (BAN THESE PRODUCTS) So natural birthing for me seemed like something I knew would empower me and make me stronger and more knowledgeable regarding LIFE. LOVE TO ALL THE MOTHERS OUT THERE. AND A BLESSING TO YOU AND YOUR LITTLE ONES.
QUESTION TO MOTHERS CHOOSING OR WHO HAVE CHOSEN TO BIRTH THEIR OWN CHILD: Did you consult midwife/ or dr about the procedure regarding the umbil. cord? When you have birthed your child, what are the next steps? If you know please inform me. I will most likely speak with a mid wife and do more research but would love to hear from a powerhouse who has lived it.. Thank you! blessbless mama nature
 I am choosing to keep the cord intact for about 14/15 hours - what is the proper care of the placenta and how do you cut of the cord and care for the newborns stump when opting out of western way?please help!
!!

#7 of 7 Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you consult midwife/ or dr about the procedure regarding the umbil. cord? When you have birthed your child, what are the next steps? I am choosing to keep the cord intact for about 14/15 hours - what is the proper care of the placenta and how do you cut of the cord and care for the newborns stump when opting out of western way?please help!
!!

I didn't consult a doctor or midwife per se on how on care for the placenta; just websites by midwives. I had intended to do a full lotus birth, so all of my information came from websites/webpages regarding that. In a full lotus birth, most people apply coarse sea salt and herbs to ward off the musky smell the placenta sometimes gets after a couple days, but if you are only leaving it attached for 14-15 hours, I would think that is unnecessary. I'm leaving a couple links below for you. =)

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=239

http://lotusbirth.net/index.php/care-of-the-placenta

It's really nothing complicated, especially if you are planning on separating the cord that first day. We washed the cord and the placenta with room temperature water, wrapped the placenta in cheesecloth, and put it in a waterproof drawstring bag. You will want to keep it level with the baby while it is still attached. The cord went from 1.5-2 inches thick at birth to about a quarter inch thick around 14 hours. We used cord clamps and sterilized scissors to cut the cord, but you can use a shoe string to tie the cord (if you even need to; the cord might not even need clamping depending on how shriveled the cord has become in that time). We used a baby wipe to clean around the stump during diaper changes while it was still attached. My daughter's cord stump fell off within 3 days. We actually have the placenta our freezer right now; we are planning on thawing it out, cutting it up, and feeding our spring garden with it.

lsanchez likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page