Seeking Moms Who UC'd because of Restrictive Midwifery Laws- esp NH, VT, NY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello awesome Mamas,

My name is Laura Donnelly and I am a CPM/ homebirth midwife in Maine.  I fully support the right of women to UC and I totally understand the reasons why women would choose UC as a positive and empowering birth option.  However, I also recognize that some women UC when they would rather have a midwife-attended homebirth because the midwifery licensing laws in their state forbid any midwife from attending them.

The midwives in Maine are preparing a bill to get licensed.  Many midwives in the state have mixed feelings about this because we are concerned about women's rights in birth and women's access to midwives.  In most states that license midwives, women's rights to access midwives are restricted.  We don't want this in Maine.

So, I am looking to email and/or talk with women who wanted to have a midwife-attended homebirth but were denied that option due to state regulations of midwifery.  I would like to hear your stories. I am looking specifically for women who chose to UC rather than go to the hospital.  I would also like to talk to women who traveled to another state with less-restrictive laws in order to have a midwife-attended "home"-birth-away-from-home.  I would especially like to talk to women who live in NH, VT, and NY since those are the closest licensed states to Maine. You can find my contact information on my website: www.WithChildMidwifery.com.  And, if you live in Maine and are concerned about how midwifery licensing laws may affect your rights, please check out the Maine Advocates for Birth Choice on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/352680348173037/  Thank you so much for your time and I hope to talk to some of you soon.  Happy Birthing!

Springshowers likes this.
#2 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Bumping up for attention. Thanks Laura!

#3 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM

I am choosing uc for similar reasons. I live in Missouri where I have had two successful homebirths. This time we discovered that since cpm's became legal, midwives are risking out pretty much everyone. I risked out because I have asthma.

I have been trying to go the ob route but simply can not take it any longer and just this morning made peace with my decision to uc.
sgnorton123 likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM

Selissa, I am also in Missouri and strongly considering UC at home. Would you be willing to talk to me about it?
#5 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM

Absolutely. Feel free to message me anytime
#6 of 7 Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM

I currently live in NH, homebirthed twice in MA once with a DEM and once a CPM, my eldest was born in a hospital with a CNM. Im expecting again in July and am going through so many frustrations I did not face in MA. They are pushing legislation hard in MA, I fear it is a mistake and insurance accessibility is the only advantage I see (and some ins cover it in MA anyway).My choice of midwife is not my first choice, now, and I'm pretty upset by the fact that 3 miles over the border is 3 miles into laws that prevent my sister-midwife from being at my side. If homebirth outcomes in MA were poor, fine, regulate midwives, but I feel the regulation here in NH has hurt midwifery and access to trusted competent midwives.

I feel I may better be served by my partner alone with plans to transport, rather than feel disconnected from my midwife.

#7 of 7 Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM

I am a midwife in NH who is supportive of mother's rights to birth where and with whom they choose (so... I mostly seem to get calls in Mass). Let me know if I can be of any help. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page