A few concerns I have - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Too true. I attempted to skim an article yesterday about the risks in c section themselves but the article was too long. I couldn't finish it. Point being, there's risks at home. There's risks in hospital. C sections carry their own set of risks. So basically, take the c section risks with guaranteed c section or take the home birth risks with much more likely vbac and preferred birth. That's up to OP
To decide. Although I think OP came her for UCers input obviously because that's what she's leaning towards. She didn't come for an anti UCers point of view
dalia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnorton123 View Post

Too true. I attempted to skim an article yesterday about the risks in c section themselves but the article was too long. I couldn't finish it. Point being, there's risks at home. There's risks in hospital. C sections carry their own set of risks. So basically, take the c section risks with guaranteed c section or take the home birth risks with much more likely vbac and preferred birth. That's up to OP
To decide. Although I think OP came her for UCers input obviously because that's what she's leaning towards. She didn't come for an anti UCers point of view

Anti-UCer?  How many times have I said that a woman does and should have every right to UC?  How many times have I acknowledged that for people like Viola the benefits of UCing certainly may outweigh the risks?  

And your inability to read an article doesn't prove any point at all. Of course there are risks in any option. It's risky to ride a bicycle down the sidewalk. It's risky to ride a bicycle on the shoulder of a busy highway at night. Guess which one my kids are allowed to do?
#33 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for all that. I'm fully aware of my risks for a vba2c. I've done my research. There is also risks of a repeat c-section as well. On the ican website it said you are 6 times more likely to have a complication from a repeat c-section than a vbac. I understand I wouldn't be at the hospital in the unlikely event of an uterine rupture, but that honestly doesn't put me off from a homebirth. I understand there is a risk that something could go wrong at home, but there are risks that something could go wrong in the hospital. I could've died during my last c-section, but I didn't.
sgnorton123 likes this.
#34 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Oh, by the way Maria, I don't know if anybody ever really addressed your question about how the hospital would respond if you transferred. I think it really depends on not only the hospital, but the Dr you get. I'm a firm believer that honesty is always best and would tell the truth no matter the scariness or the consequences of it. I had my baby on Christmas eve day. Although all was well with him I went to the ER twice due to nothing being open for the holidays. First I went because I'm rh negative blood and need a special shot in a limited time frame and second I have an umbilical hernia that was aggravated during labor. I actually went in two separate days because I was hoping my hernia would be ok but seemed to get worse. Anyway, the first visit the Dr was somewhat questioning and surprised how I'd birthed. I answered all his questions although much had nothing to do with why I was there. He at least was fairly respectful and I got my shot and left with no problem. Second I got a woman who was awful to me telling me the baby needed to be seen, he needed shots and eye ointment. She asked if I was going to bring him in...ugh, I finally told a lie there. As strongly as I feel against it she had be terrified that I'd have cps on my doorstep so I felt the need to appease her although I had been completely honest up till that point. And when she felt my hernia she
Pushed on it and hurt me and I can't help but wonder how much of the pain inflicted was intentional. I mean this woman was fuming mad! Her face was bright red. She sent somebody else back in the room with a tummy wrap thing and my diagnosis papers. Anyway, baby hasn't been seen. I'm anti vax and the eye ointment...yikes, completely unnecessary. So, I guess do what you gotta. If I have to go in again for anything though I'd still tell the truth again. I just have to. That's just me :-) hopefully if you needed to go in for anything you'll have a more pleasant experience than me
#35 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
@appalled - the worst case scenario you present is awful. Still a risk of .24 is small.

The truth is that there are all kinds of avoidable risks that pregnant women choose to take every day for a variety of reasons including necessity and personal comfort. Each and every time you drive a car there is a risk of fatality. Walking under a coconut tree and swimming in the ocean all carry risks and are all probably easy to avoid. Should we start citing all these risks in order to scare women out leaving their houses? Are pregnant women morally obligated to take the least risky path in every situation? I think the answer to both questions is no.

The increasing restrictions placed on pregnant women in the name of "safety" are highly disturbing and are also, evidently as the maternal mortality rate continues to rise, ineffective.

My body my choice, period.

ETA

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-pregnancy/
bcgartley and Maria26 like this.
#36 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

We are anti-vax as well and are very much into natural healing. Unless of course medical intervention is necessary. There's so many things that the hospitals think are necessary that I don't agree with. I would've had my last two children at home but my husband wasn't comfortable with it. He was coming around to the idea of home birthing but last night he changed his mind. He keeps going back and forth. I guess I just need to be patient and consider having someone there for his benefit. I'd really rather do it completely on my own than have others there. I handle things better when I don't have others to distract me. I understand his concerns, I just wish he'd understand my need to do it my way.
#37 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

How close are you to the hospital? If it were me in that situation id either plan a c-section or rent a hotel room right across from the hospital.
#38 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Plan a c-section because there's no way in hell I could go through hours of monitoring and abuse and coercion again. I've decided this time if I go to the hospital it'll be for a c section, I don't think my hubby is too crazy about hb or UC either, but he didn't suffer from 5 months of PTSD and almost have his professional reputation ruined permanently either, I did. So again, my body mt choice.
sgnorton123 likes this.
#39 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM

I can't imagine what it would have been like if I'd had to birth at the hospital this past time. I just feel so strongly in my beliefs the more and more I learn. The thought of having to battle an ob while in labor would have been traumatizing and stressful in itself for me. You
Do what's right for you and your husband and baby. I hope that if you end up birthing in hospital that at least you can get a mw or doula for support and to help you fight battles as well. It's just not a time for a woman to be stressed out. Stress in itself can be labor hindering of course.

Viola-this is totally deja vu! Haha
Viola P likes this.
#40 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I really really want to avoid a c-section. There's so much I hate about having a c-section. Like they take the baby away and you have to wait an hour to hold him/her. I can't handle pain meds at all, I'm a lightweight. I'm a small person too so that doesn't help, 5' 3" and about 130 lbs pregnant. Recovery wouldn't be so bad if it was only me and a newborn, but I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old, and a 20 month old. Plus we have several pets, two dogs, 3 cats, and I have pet birds as well. My house isn't a mess like you'd think either lol. It gets a little unorganized at times though. My husband can only take a week off. I don't really have family to come help either, they all have full time jobs. So a repeat c-section isn't the best option. I can go on forever about why I want to avoid a c-section. I will hire a doula and do a hospital birth if it comes down to it. She would have to be a strong willed person to be able to help me get the best experience I can at the hospital. A uterine rupture does not scare me at all. I'm slightly higher risk since I've had two but the vbac in between lowers the risk too. I told my husband I will talk with a doula and find out what she would be able to do and then go from there. I'll be honest I thought UC'ers were all crazy at first. But it fascinated me and the more research I did the more I wanted to do it myself.
sgnorton123 likes this.
#41 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 02:43 PM

"I thought UCers were all crazy" - ha ha me too!! When I was pregnant with my first I was totally shocked when I saw a UC vid, couldn't believe that someone would do that. Now I get it!!
Maria26 likes this.
#42 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Hahaha! Love it! I suppose we all start somewhere! This past pregnancy actually in the beginning of it it was my parents idea to uc and they kinda pushed it a few times and I was like NOOO! that's crazy! I can't do that! But I knew I couldn't do hospital again. I started looking into other options. Insurance wouldn't cover hb midwife. I told hubby we'll sell a car or something if need be. There was birth centers which I tried to settle on but they turned out to be far too medical and controlling as well. I researched midwives in the area and even emailed one I thought was promising which did NOT go well. Basically I felt like all the doors were closing. Every option I looked into wasn't feeling right to me. So I ended up looking more into this uc thing and ended up finding out there's lots of people that do it, it isn't crazy and I actually wanted it! So, here I am, had first uc on Christmas eve day and I'm hooked now! I'll have my future children uc as well :-)
Viola P likes this.
#43 of 48 Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM

So beautiful snorgton
#44 of 48 Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I read your birth story sgnorton , it was beautiful! Okay so as of last night my husband and I discussed a UC again. I think he finally understands why I want to do one. I pointed out the benefits of it just being us. The more I read the more I want to do this. Even if we could afford a midwife, which we probably could if we really really tried, I wouldn't want one. I would like some recommendations on any books that would be beneficial. Maybe a midwifery textbook? I have read good things about the book Emergency childbirth by George White. I want something strait forward. Any recommendations?
#45 of 48 Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 PM

I read the Gregory White manual which was very informative. My doula said the Laura Shanley book called Unassisted Childbirth is really good. I also read that the Fathers Home-Birth Handbook is good for dads.

Maria26 likes this.
#46 of 48 Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM

I didn't read any books myself, but I would have loved too. Just never got around to it. I'd actually like to still read some as I intend to have more kids. I should start a list lol
#47 of 48 Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnorton123 View Post

I didn't read any books myself, but I would have loved too. Just never got around to it. I'd actually like to still read some as I intend to have more kids. I should start a list lol

How did you prepare for any unexpected complications?

#48 of 48 Old 01-13-2014, 07:31 PM

I know the question of how did you prepare for complications wasn't for me but I want to answer.

I made a list of what I would do in each situation and reviewed my list of possible complications with my midwife.

Cord prolapse- transfer and defer

Presentation
Transverse - try to turn, if doesnt work cesarean
Face first - cesarean
Hand first - cesarean
Bum first - okay to continue
Footling - ??

Mecomium
Mecomium with evidence of fetal distress = transfer
If mecomium is thick = if very thick transfer unless delivery is imminent
If mecomium is thin = more frequent monitoring, continue at home

My primary objective, other than to have a healthy living baby and mom, is to avoid being at the hospital unless its for surgery. That's why the mec issue is a but complicated.

Footling breech is also complicated becuse I know I'd be comfortable continuing vaginally if I was fully dilated, but how would I know if I was? I have to think about that one more.

For me it's important to have a reference sheet for when ill transfer so I don't decide for the wrong reasons like last time.

I totally get why many women who UC would find this off putting!
sgnorton123 likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page