Travelling in Summer - wish to have a UC in OR - birth certificate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I'm Canadian and dh is a dual citizen and am hoping to travel to the US for a few months. I have a little one due in August and was hoping to have a UC while I am down there. The hitch is that I would have no way of proving my residence. Would this mean that my LO could never have a birth certificate?! How would I get back to Canada? Even if I got a midwife I still don't have proof of residence. What do people who are travelling do if they just "have" their baby suddenly? It doesn't make sense to me. A person needs a birth certificate and just because their parents chose something unorthodox or even had something unorthodox happen to them unexpectedly doesn't justify keeping a vital record from them. What can be done?

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Interesting question!  I don't have an answer for you but thought I'd bump your question up for input. Anyone have advice to offer?

#3 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the bump ;)

My dh was thinking that maybe point in the rules is to discourage people to visit the US in order to help their baby receive US citizenship. Since my dh is dual that's really not an issue for us. We just want to have the baby where we have friends but we don't have time for me to immigrate or establish residency. As I've been pondering this I've somewhat concluded that I would probably have to contact the closest embassy/consolate and set them to getting me a birth certificate. I imagine they'd at least be able to get us back into Canada but I would still really like a b.c. so that we can get a passport in the future. I'd still love to hear anyones thoughts on how to get a b.c. without residency. Maybe I should pose the question more generally on one of the other boards. Thoughts?

#4 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 PM

I don't know this from experience, but I don't think you have to be a resident. I just had my UC in December, and I didn't have to provide proof of residence. I did however have to provide an address. Maybe you could provide your friends' address and have the birth certificate mailed there. Try contacting the state's vital records office. They might be able to help you more.
#5 of 8 Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I think if you birthed in the US the baby would get us citizenship by virtue of that and would also get Canadian citizenship. I think you should call an immigration lawyer and ask for a half hour consult, which should hopefully be enough given how specific your Q is
#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM

I would try looking at the recorder clerks office for the county and state you will be in. Research their office to find any documents for births outside of a hospital. I had a homebirth in Mexico with my 2nd, I'm a us citizen and daddy was going through immigration, but I believe it's different if your in the us. I think their are some states that have laws against "anchor babies" but as long as one parent is a citizen I don't think it's an issue.
#7 of 8 Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM

(Will you have travel insurance? I have friends who UC'd as Canadians in the US, ended up transferring to a hospital & because they didn't have any insurance, were stuck with a huuuuuuuge hospital bill - that they are still paying off today, 8 years later. Not to discourage, but you want to make sure you always have lots of options.).
#8 of 8 Old 01-17-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

No travel insurance but we have the means to pay. We had to take our 2 year old in for croup while down last summer and ended up with a $5000 bill for one night!!!

I've been thinking that maybe I should just phone people. There are tons of anchor babies every year (we wouldn't be one because dh is citizen) and somehow they don't stay in limbo. The gov't may be resistant but eventually they get their citizenship along with all the appropriate papers. There just must be a way even if you have to press hard and even contact the consolate in Portland to set them to the task.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page