Post care of our little one - any advice and sharing is greatly appreciated - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI There,

My man and I are planning on staying home throughout our labor and birth and have decided on complication that we will transfer to the hospital.

As we get closer (February) and decide on supplies and what tools we want - ex. neonatal resuscitation bag etc. I am on the fence about when we would take our little one in for a "checkup". Especially if all is within normal parameters. I am interested in knowing when you decided to take your little one in to get checked over and perhaps testing done.

So, with this does anyone have a good reference to Vitamin K injections and do many of you who have had UC's get this done? I plan to sip an infusion of raspberry leaf and nettles throughout labor and post partum. We also plan to ingets food rich in Vit K which my hope is will go through the milk to our little one.

Also, does anyone feel it is important to get the blood screening "heel prick" tests done after?

And lastly, I actually want to come back to hemorrhage during birth. Does anyone have a good resource on Shepard's Purse and Yarrow and the use of it. Also, an extract brand they would recommend? We are on the fence about whether to have this on hand as we are not experienced with these herbs and I have done some reading that brings caution to using them without experience. We are also 5-10 minutes away from the hospital and plan to transfer if 500ml of blood is lost after placenta delivery....any insight into how an inexperienced mom to be can handle this possible complication at home would be greatly appreciated!

Many blessings to you all who are passionate about safe and gentle, peaceful and loving births!

Codi 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM

I didn't take my little one in after the birth and he's about three and a half weeks now. All they are gonna do is pressure tests and vaccines, eye goop, vit k. I bulked up on my vit k foods for the weeks prior to birth. I believe the shot unnecessary. The eye goop they routinely do is unnecessary unless the mother has an std. I don't vax my kids either. So I had no reason to bring my son in at all. It's really up to you what you want. I don't know much about hemorrhage and shepherd's purse though sorry
Old 01-20-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Sgnorton123! It is great to hear your story. Do you have any yummy suggestions on how you bulked up on Vitamin K rich foods?

BTW, I have sourced a local herbalist with whom I am going to discuss herbal remedies and dosages with regarding hemorrhage which works for me, as I am new to herbals but believe in their power :)

Congratulations on your new arrival - have you posted a birth story yet?

Thank you!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM

I haven't written a birth story yet...I'd really like to. I should get to it before I forget all the details :-) I'm still just so thrilled with having done a uc this time though...so happy with this birth and that feeling of I did it! Just doesn't seem to go away! As far as my vit k intake I would just blend up a yummy shake everyday with homemade kefir and fruits and veggies. I put a lot of spinach in which is vitamin k rich and basically just included as much spinach in my diet as I could. There's other foods though that are even richer in vit k though as well. I just like that one and commonly keep it in the house
Old 01-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I bought Shepherds Purse from  St Francis Herb farm and had planned to just squirt a dropperful in my mouth if I hemorrhaged after the placenta is out. There are quite a few threads in here that have more thorough info :)
I do not worry about the vit K but I do think the blood screening is good to do. 

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List