Switching to unassisted in 2nd trimester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New here, so my apologies if this has been asked elsewhere- links appreciated!
I'm 22 weeks with my 2nd baby, had a hospital birth that was sorely mismanaged with #1. Currently seeing midwives and obgyns in a joint practice, but disappointed with the lack of communication between care providers, their attitude toward my choices, and them categorizing me as a traumatic birth and slapping labels around.
Has anyone gone UC midway through obgyn care? Do I just cancel future appointments and not say why? I'm going to look into a homebirth midwife but not sure if insurance will cover or if I can muster the $$ without.
Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'd suggest you tell the office you are switching care providers and ask for your records. They might bug you with reminder calls otherwise, and maybe the records might come in handy for the possible midwife or for .registering the birth.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ditto to what jamiecatheryn said. I'd also suggest calling your insurance to find out about coverage.

I began this pregnancy with a midwife but decided to uc, at my last appointment I was about 18weeks. The midwife seemed really wishy-washy about my decision, and said she'd still help out with certain paperwork like proof of pregnancy and that I'd get a call from her secretary and they'd give me my records too. I doubt I'll ever get that call considering I'm going on 35 weeks now. Lol and I haven't even bothered to get in touch with them again, I didn't like how she treated me for deciding to uc.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish you blessing. I say if heartbeat looks fine in babe then you can determine how best to handle the situation. If you are confident that your nutrition is good, spiritual stuff in line, not a hemorrhage risk and so on, I believe you can make the best choices.

If you feel like they are "snikering" at your choices, I think prayer cuts the negative voices that loom.

Hospitals really can't turn you away nor hold you captive against your will if you make last minute decisions.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the input! JamieCatheryn, I have online access to my records so I'll have to see if I can print that out to avoid the awkwardness of an in person request.
If I do end up UCing, I'm not sure I'd expressly tell anyone. Not too many natural minded family members or friends around :-/

User Tag List