Kind of confused about different views between homebirth vs. unassisted Childbirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I saw the article about Amy T. the "anti-homebirth" "Dr." on the home birth board and saw that when I mentioned that I do unassisted homebirth and do not rely on a midwife I get a few scornful remarks. That didn't really make sense to me. Then I looked a little deeper as I made the statement that her information is "useless" to the real woman who understand's herbs and remedies to help birth do its thing.

I don't understand because I've had 4 of my pregnancy outside of hospital assistance (miscarriage, stillbirth and fullterm) and didn't feel the need for a MANA or a midwife to assist.

I don't feel that "certification" means anything or "professionalism" means that a person is qualified.

Is there a difference between the "midwife" assisted homebirth and just general unasssisted "anywhere" birth????

Confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Spilde View Post

Is there a difference between the "midwife" assisted homebirth and just general unasssisted "anywhere" birth????

Is there a difference?  Sure.  The difference is that in a midwife assisted homebirth, there is a midwife present.  That can mean a lot of things.  At the very least, it means that there is another set of hands to assist if there is a problem that requires help from someone else (applying pressure to resolve a shoulder dystocia, for example, or being on hand if you suffer a severe hemorrhage and lose consciousness ).  In the best case scenario, the midwife will be highly skilled and experienced and know how to resolve complications that you may not have anticipated.  She will also know when problems are serious enough to warrant a transfer to a hospital. 

In either case, the vast majority of  full-term pregnancies will end with a healthy baby and a healthy mother, regardless of whether a midwife or doctor is present. 

Oh, by the way, you mentioned Native American traditions in the other thread: As far as I am aware, most American Indian tribes used some sort of midwife during childbirth.

(Nothing here should be construed as a critique of homebirth or UC.  I'm merely trying to answer her question.)

rednightingale likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think every people group from European, to asian, to Jewish to African American, to Russian, to Mexican has some sort of Unasissted birth vs. Midwife assisted story. I think somewhere in the middle of history Midwives were burned at the stake and called "witches." Before then supposedly most people were born unassisted.

I don't know for sure because history can get twisted like a snake on a pole.
#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2014, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"Before then supposedly most people were born unassisted."

Not if they could help it, I would think. Even the book of Exodus (in the Bible) makes reference to the Hebrew midwives and the book The Red Tent talks about women at least giving birth with other women there, or the midwife coming.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#5 of 6 Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I have never used a midwife at home but have in a birthing center. I did interview two midwives for my first hb but didn't approve either. I found that most still have protocols, procedures and fear of liability just like doctors..... and that was what I was trying to avoid. yes some midwives are very hands off..but from what I have seen, certified ones are very much like doctors because their certification is at stake. lay midwives don't seems as concerned with protocol..... but I still prefer uc.
#6 of 6 Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
For me there's a difference between having people there for me in a supporting role,and having a midwife there in a professional capacity. So I think it's just my natural inclination to birth with people guarding my space but leaving the birthing up to me.

It's great when you can find people who are supportive of and interested in whatever you're into, but yeah, a lot of time there isn't much love between midwifery and UC. It sounds like that bothers you.

In answer to your question, depending on the midwife there can be a small or vast difference between them and UC.

And people are scornful because they believe UC is unsafe, and that therefore UC is not ok. If you're looking for support you can't look to those people. If you're looking to engage in conversation, then sometimes that can happen.

For what it's worth, I am supportive of UC but not because I think herbs will make everything ok. And I think real women give birth in all sorts of ways, hopefully exactly how they want to.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page