Finally decided - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Due to so many people who do not really support UC I can say I'd really, really rather be posting in the private forum but despite my PM requests over the last 2-3 months I still don't have access nor have I had a reply, even though I *thought* I met the requirements and am certainly supportive of other's views and such.  

Anyways, at least this is still in a UC forum that, thus far, I've only seen supportive posts in, so I hope I can expect support and that nobody who might know who I am would go telling "IRL" people.  I'm not "afraid" to post here it's just that I don't want to deal with any headaches, as we are not going to be telling very many people we know about this decision.  

After much thought my husband and I agree that UC and unassisted pregnancy are right for us at this time and we have a peace about it.  I know this choice is not for everyone but we feel it is right for us and our baby and family.  I'm thankful for a UC forum I can share in without people freaking out about it. 

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
No judgement from me! I've researched and considered having a UC and thought dh was on board (during hypothetical conversations) but when I actually got pregnant, he really wanted to do another midwife-assisted homebirth. I still love the idea, since my last labor was quick and the midwife, while supportive and a peaceful presence, really wasn't necessary. This time I have a feeling she won't even make it in time, and then the thought of paying so much doesn't sit right. Anyway, I totally respect your choice, and in all honesty I'm a little jealous! Good luck!

Anna: married to my best friend (12/2005), mommy to DD (10/2006) and DD (12/2008). Thrilled to be expecting our third and last sometime in October'14! It's a boy!
#3 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Support from this end too :)

I am finally in a position where I will be able to have an unassisted. (was my plan for my second, but never happened). My partner and mother are super supportive and we are going ahead! All in all, I think most have been supportive (that I have read). When are you due?

I am in the process of figuring out what I need to have on hand. I have the typical home birth (with midwife) list, but I know I will need more than it has on it. Do you have any supply plans yet?

So far I have...

Crock Pot Hot compresses
Pillows Covered with Garbage Bags
Extra sheets Under plastic sheet
Towels Warmed in the dryer for drying baby
Receiving blankets  Warmed in the dryer for drying baby
Metal bowl For placenta
Wash cloths for hot compresses
Box lined with garbage bag For garbage
Peroxide For sanitizing
Digtal Thermometer Taking temp
Doppler taking baby's heart beat
Blue Pads For bed

And Need...

Plastic sheets  for bed
Plastic sheets  for floor around bed
Duct tape for sheets
Straws for drinking
Suction For baby's nose
Scissors

But..open to more suggestions! There is a wealth of info here on the forum!

#4 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 09:38 PM

Wow Rory! You're very prepared! Awesome! I had my uc two months ago. It was incredible and will definitely go that route again. I personally didn't feel the need for much preparation. We had a pool and hose, that was about it. Next time I don't think I'll even have that. congrats on your decision OP! this forum doesn't seem so active lately. If you're looking for more unassisted ladies check out unassisted childbirth-all are welcome on Facebook. Very active page there and supportive, knowledgeable women!
RorysMum likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy! From what I've noticed there seems to be many supportive people here and a vast amount of info. I haven't gotten into the "private" uc forum either, although I haven't tried PM-ing about it. I wish it were a bit more lively here on the uc forum. I'll be having my first uc here when baby gives the ok lol (39w 5d now), so hopefully I'll be giving our story soon wink1.gif
RorysMum likes this.
#6 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the group recommendation @sgnorton123 ! I will definitely check it out. Congrats on the little one! It is so encouraging to have other people willing to share their experiences. I have had three uncomplicated births, one at home...I figure it is now or never for UC. Can't wait to hear your story also @lsanchez !

lsanchez likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Another UC hopeful here!! I've been posting on this UC forum for years and it definitely has its ebbs & flows, but we're out here even if it's rather quiet. Just keep posting!! That's the only way it's gonna get busier!
I'm single using a donor to conceive, so I love that I don't have to convince a partner that UP/UC is the way I plan to go :thumb  my best friend is totally on board to be my support person and I'm good with that! I may ask her 20 something daughters to be there too to make food and take pics and what not as they're good at holding space, were born at home themselves and are just great people that I've known for a long time...  My mom is the only family I have nearby (2 hrs away) but she freaks at even the idea of a homebirth w/a MW so she will not be privy to the whole UC gig. She's also not keen (to put it lightly) on the idea of me choosing to be a single mama so we don't talk about that either! Thank god for my self chosen family! They're so supportive and excited for me! :love  I *think* I'm pregnant but have a few more days left before I'm "late". Keep your fingers crossed for me!! 
I love this crazy long list of everything that mama's have used for their births http://www.mothering.com/community/t/602248/not-so-basic-homebirth-supplies/220

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#8 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnorton123 View Post

Wow Rory! You're very prepared! Awesome! I had my uc two months ago. It was incredible and will definitely go that route again. I personally didn't feel the need for much preparation. We had a pool and hose, that was about it. Next time I don't think I'll even have that. congrats on your decision OP! this forum doesn't seem so active lately. If you're looking for more unassisted ladies check out unassisted childbirth-all are welcome on Facebook. Very active page there and supportive, knowledgeable women!

Congratulations!  And thank you for mentioning the fb group.  I joined :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsanchez View Post

Congrats on your pregnancy! From what I've noticed there seems to be many supportive people here and a vast amount of info. I haven't gotten into the "private" uc forum either, although I haven't tried PM-ing about it. I wish it were a bit more lively here on the uc forum. I'll be having my first uc here when baby gives the ok lol (39w 5d now), so hopefully I'll be giving our story soon wink1.gif

Excited for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prescottchels View Post

Another UC hopeful here!! I've been posting on this UC forum for years and it definitely has its ebbs & flows, but we're out here even if it's rather quiet. Just keep posting!! That's the only way it's gonna get busier!
I'm single using a donor to conceive, so I love that I don't have to convince a partner that UP/UC is the way I plan to go :thumb  my best friend is totally on board to be my support person and I'm good with that! I may ask her 20 something daughters to be there too to make food and take pics and what not as they're good at holding space, were born at home themselves and are just great people that I've known for a long time...  My mom is the only family I have nearby (2 hrs away) but she freaks at even the idea of a homebirth w/a MW so she will not be privy to the whole UC gig. She's also not keen (to put it lightly) on the idea of me choosing to be a single mama so we don't talk about that either! Thank god for my self chosen family! They're so supportive and excited for me! :love  I *think* I'm pregnant but have a few more days left before I'm "late". Keep your fingers crossed for me!! 
I love this crazy long list of everything that mama's have used for their births http://www.mothering.com/community/t/602248/not-so-basic-homebirth-supplies/220

Thank you for the list!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorysMum View Post

Support from this end too :)

I am finally in a position where I will be able to have an unassisted. (was my plan for my second, but never happened). My partner and mother are super supportive and we are going ahead! All in all, I think most have been supportive (that I have read). When are you due?

I am in the process of figuring out what I need to have on hand. I have the typical home birth (with midwife) list, but I know I will need more than it has on it. Do you have any supply plans yet?

So far I have...

Crock Pot Hot compresses
Pillows Covered with Garbage Bags
Extra sheets Under plastic sheet
Towels Warmed in the dryer for drying baby
Receiving blankets  Warmed in the dryer for drying baby
Metal bowl For placenta
Wash cloths for hot compresses
Box lined with garbage bag For garbage
Peroxide For sanitizing
Digtal Thermometer Taking temp
Doppler taking baby's heart beat
Blue Pads For bed

And Need...

Plastic sheets  for bed
Plastic sheets  for floor around bed
Duct tape for sheets
Straws for drinking
Suction For baby's nose
Scissors

But..open to more suggestions! There is a wealth of info here on the forum!

I have my birth pool but have to buy new hoses this time since they got left out last time and yucky (not cleaned out).  

We put a few sleepingbags under the pool for extra padding and then a tarp on top of those and old dark towels where I get in and out of the pool.  I STILL have pads from three births prior (because I water-birth and hardly bleed after/during birth, thankfully thus far) - we only use a couple blue pads when I get out of the pool, deliver placenta then I put on a "depends" type thing.

Hmmm... we have plenty of dark old towels left (purposely bought years ago for home/water birth).  Before the birth I'll just wash 'em up and put them in with the rest of the birth supplies in a plastic bin.  I'll keep a dark-colored sheet to go over the bed as well, in case there are any minor spills (though, if you soak sheets in cold water usually blood will come out).  I have a suctioning thing for baby but I really don't like to use it unless baby seems to be having a problem/really needs it.  We have oxygen but I think I'll need to get a mask.  I won't need hot compresses since I'll be in warm water but I think we need a new pool thermometer (though I generally go with warm but not feeling over-heated and then we cool it a bit more or just don't add more hot water when it's close to baby's birth).  

We do plan to take a class that will give us some good ideas for what to watch for if any issues arise.  It's also a class for those who want to learn ways to care for yourself during pregnancy (like, how to palpate, find baby's heart-rate, etc.).  As far as supplies go I'll have to make a small list of things to get but I'm just starting my 2nd trimester this Wed. so I have a little time to prepare :)

And thank you all for your replies, as I don't feel like this room is so empty now :)

RorysMum likes this.

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
#9 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 01:46 PM

This is a good resource to have to! http://www.rixafreeze.com/pdf/gregorywhite.pdf  Emergency Childbirth manual

rachie likes this.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#10 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Loving the facebook group! What a supportive bunch :)

rachie likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM

I've been a part of this group on FB for a while and it's very active, speaking of FB  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unassisted-BirthFreebirth/226462721209

RorysMum likes this.

#12 of 12 Old 03-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Congratulations Rachie! I do drop in to look at the UC forum from time to time, but for me it's kind of like an alternate DDC, only better. I'm anti-FB so this is where I got a lot of information to research & birth stories. I looked at your blog, you have a beautiful family! I'm sure they're all excited too.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page