Birth certificate and proof of pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you going unassisted in pregnancy but planning to get a birth certificate:  what do you do to get a proof of pregnancy?  It looks like my state requires a letter from a clinic, midwife or physician stating that I was pregnant, LMP, EDD or DOB of the baby, date, etc...  Ugh... I want to avoid going in to a medical environment for prenatal care.  I'm hoping a local midwife will be willing to do a proof of pregnancy visit for me (only). 

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

What about a chiropractor?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 PM

Are you doing a newborn check up? I'm planning on seeing our "family" doctor. (We've barely had her for 2 months, but she knows of our homebirth plans and already gave me a "proof of pregnancy" paper). I'll also had her do a urine preg test on me so that I can take those test results with me as well.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Oh and the dr I used is a considered a family physician, not an ob. I told her we were planning a homebirth, but that I wanted proof of pregnancy to ensure the baby's paperwork was done correctly as I had had an issue with it not being done correctly with a prior birth with a midwife. I made the appt a "routine evaluation".
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

The state/county I'm in won't accept it from a chiropractor.  We just switched insurance/care providers so I don't have a prior patient relationship with any family doctors.  They don't even allow for pregnancy-related testing or anything in the main office and would send me to the OB/GYN office just for testing.  

Our blog!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM

How far along are you?

When I went in I hadn't established a relationship with my dr either. I made an appointment for a routine wellness; I didn't even mention I was pregnant at the time. And once there explained that I wanted a urine pregnancy test done, I got a weird look at first because I was 34 weeks along lol but I just explained that I had a midwife (not true) and that I wanted to make sure the birth certificate was done properly and needed proof. I told the dr the EDD that the "midwife" had determined and had her write the info that's required for the proof of pregnancy on her offices' letter head/perscription pad.

The city I live in is like that too; where they refer you right to an ob if your pregnant. But you can get away with a yearly "wellness appt" thing. And I don't know of a single dr office that doesn't have the urine preg tests. wink1.gif
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 AM

I found this old thread and it has a lot of useful info. Like doing a walk in pregnancy test at planned parenthood. I'm hoping your referring to CA as your state. That's where I'm at.
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1252981/having-trouble-with-proof-of-pregnancy
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
IDK if there's anywhere in your area that gives free preg tests (planned parenthood or a preg crisis center) they will usually write you a proof of pregnancy if you go in and take a test.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

My prior midwife and friend said she'd do the proof of pregnancy for me!  She also told me a new CA law says the baby will have to be seen by a pediatrician before I can get the birth cert.  Anyone heard of this change?

Our blog!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Yay that's awesome! I haven't heard of that change though. On the county's website it mentions that you could get a note from a pediatrician after the birth as proof of the pregnancy, but it does not mention that being mandatory.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:02 AM

We just had a baby girl UC 11 days ago in California, got her birth certificate on the 9th day.

You need:

Proof of pregnancy, which can be a health department pregnancy test or an exam after the birth by an OB or mw if you didn't get the proof in time.

The baby

ID for you and partner, witness

A utility bill proving your address

Marriage cert or paternity slip if you want partner name on certificate

The firms they offer for the birth certificate

That is all. Pku is not required and neither is a pediatrician.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital%20Birth%20Package.pdf

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitha View Post

We just had a baby girl UC 11 days ago in California, got her birth certificate on the 9th day.

You need:

Proof of pregnancy, which can be a health department pregnancy test or an exam after the birth by an OB or mw if you didn't get the proof in time.

The baby

ID for you and partner, witness

A utility bill proving your address

Marriage cert or paternity slip if you want partner name on certificate

The firms they offer for the birth certificate

That is all. Pku is not required and neither is a pediatrician.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Out-of-Hospital%20Birth%20Package.pdf

Awesome.  Thank you for sharing!  And congratulations!!!

Our blog!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM

For proof of pregnancy, I've always used an ultrasound pic (I use the ones for entertainment purposes to check over things myself: placement of placenta, presence of nasal bone, cleft lip ((which all can indicate bigger issues that would impact my birth decisions)), etc) w/ my name on it, and proof of PKU to prove live birth. (instead of ped's visit)

Midwife apprentice and mama to 6, including three UC babies: Jude River, 06/04/08, Elora Wren Isolde, 9/27/10, and our newest addition, Eilish Neve Isebeul, 6/12/14!

User Tag List