gbs swab to swab or not? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For you other natural/unassisted moms. I am planning on having ahomebirth (with midwife) however, I am totally against testing for GBS. With my last pregnancy I was GBS "unknown" and so didn't have to get antibiotics. However, we ended up having to go to hospital since my daughter appeared "jaundiced" and since I was GBS unknown they made a horrendous deal about this and pumped her (unnecessarily) with antibiotics for a week! I was furious. Since she was perfectly healthy and did not need their "intervention".

I want to avoid all the "politics" of this situation this time around but still wish to not have antibiotics for my birth. As I believe they destroy the good bacteria of both mom and baby.

Has anyone "swabbed themselves" for GBS and just didn't actually swab anything but pretended to do so? Would this work for producing a negative GBS swab and avoiding all the medical "interventions"? I plan to still take heavy doses of PROBIOTICS, garlic, kefir, etc. To make sure I am GBS free at birth. Any suggestions or others who have done this?

What would a lab test for in a swab GBS culture?

Thank You

#2 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not sure I know the answer to your specific question, but I'm a little bit confused by your reasoning here.

Here's the way I see it:

- If you get the test, there are one of two possible results: either you test positive or you test negative.  Chances are that you'll test negative, in which case your problem is solved.

- So let's say you test positive. You're still going to UC (obviously without antibiotics), right?  So then there are two possibilities: everything works out just fine (which is highly likely, even if you are GBS positive; without other risk factors the chance of transmission is like 1/200 ) or some problem comes up that requires medical attention.

- So let's say that God forbid you need to take this kid to the hospital.  At that point do you really want them to think that you've tested negative when you haven't really?  

I might be missing something here, but I'm just not clear on why you'd want to fake a result.   

#3 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well I guess the likelihood of going to the hospital is very low. And the likelihood of a baby developing an infection from GBS is (as ive read 1-2%). I just want to avoid having to say NO to the swab and having midwives/etc all upset and mark this in my chart since its their protocol. Id much rather just have a negative result and have them off my back since like I mentioned above their is very low low risk of a child actually contracting an infection and Id be doing natural remedies (such as hibicleanse etc). anyways, thank you for your outlook on it.

#4 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Ah, I think I get it now: you just want to avoid the drama caused by refusing the test.

Again, I really don't have any special expertise about how this test is done, but I'd be willing to bet that there's a pretty good chance that the folks who test these swabs in the lab are going to see that something is different.  When you swab for something, you're expecting some bodily fluids there, right?  So if they're used to seeing hundreds of swabs with bodily fluids on them and then suddenly along comes your sample which has absolutely nothing on it (that's what you're talking about doing, right?  Just not swabbing it?) they're going to notice that something isn't right.

If I were you, I'd be much, much, much more concerned about how people would react to me faking a test than how they'd react to me either refusing the test or testing positive and refusing antibiotics.  If you think that refusing the swab is going to cause a lot of drama I'd think you'd definitely want to avoid the drama that would come out of being caught faking a test.

Hope that makes sense and that someone who actually knows how these things works can chime in :)

Good luck!

#5 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

ya that's wut I am afraid of happening! But if they did catch on and say something to me, I could just say maybe I didn't swab properly since Ive never done this before?? I see your point though.. I really don't want to cause more trouble for myself! YIKES. I read on another forum one girl swabbed her leg/belly button and she said she used to be a vet lab tech and they would just test to see if GBS was present and if not they wouldn't do anything.

#6 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Just be careful.  I really think that with very few exceptions honesty is the best policy in situations like this.  It might not be pleasant to refuse tests, but it would be a whole lot worse to be branded as a deceiver or a liar. And I think we can both see where they'd be coming from: if you're going to folks for medical advice, it's reasonable for them to expect that you're telling them the truth.  If you're not, why go in the first place?

Again, good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

my problem is I was so honest last time and just flat out refused the test, and they treated me like a criminal and wanted to give my child a spinal tap! It ended up in the end that she had nothing wrong with her and they made a horrible mistake. And of course the medical community did not apologize. I just get so nervous about these things. I am usually an honest person but feel I need to protect my child! from unnecessary interventions and from antibiotics that destroy gut flora in newborns!

#8 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So worst case scenerio, you end up with a baby treated with antibiotics. You could just give her infant probiotics for awhile, until you felt the damage caused by the antibiotics was undone.
I would probably just cooperate with the swab. Or have you considered doing the protocol you plan for labor before the swab test, so that likely any GBS would be killed.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#9 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 PM

I'm still totally confused.  You're UCing, right, Sandra?  So you're not going to take antibiotics anyway even if the test is positive correct?  So this is all about whether to refuse the test or to fake it?  Or am I still missing something here?

#10 of 10 Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM

So just to start, we're planning a homebirth with midwives and not a UC but here is how my thought process on this went. I was also debating on whether to test or not, fortunately our midwives are not particularly set on having you test and leave the choice up to you (they even have a little info pamphlet they gave me which basically said the benefits of testing/treating are not significant). However they did caution that if we had to transfer and baby was either born in the hospital or had to be admitted after birth then the hospital would likely treat them as if the test had been positive if we opted out of it (with possibly giving baby antibiotics or monitoring in the special care nursery even with no signs of problems).

My plan all along was not to get antibiotics in labour regardless of test outcome but after a lot of thinking I decided to go ahead and test with the hope that it would be negative. There seemed to me to be two possible outcomes: a) test negative (and problem is solved) or b) test positive or refuse the test (which seems to have the same outcome as testing positive). I was lucky and tested negative, same as with previous baby so now at least I don't have to worry about it. I also found it reassuring that my midwives said that if the test did come up positive then it was still up to me to get the antibiotics (for me) during labour, otherwise I may have been more hesitant.

Have you considered doing the hibicleanse prior to the actual test rather than just prior to the baby's birth? That seems like a good way to increase the odds of getting that negative test result and it sounded like you were planning to do that anyway, just later.

3lilchunklins likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page