Going on a cruise 8 month pg - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

#1 of 74 Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Going on a cruise 8 month pg

We planned a family cruise before I knew i was pg. We have already purchased tickets and have since found out that ladies past 24 weeks are not allowed to cruise without note from obgyn. And to state the obvious..i don't have an obgyn. I would be 8 months pg at time of cruise. Any suggestions?
applejuice likes this.
#2 of 74 Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Update- actually it is 24 weeks and before that need a note and they have said that after 24 weeks they are not allowed to cruise.
If I was one prone to lie, I would just tell them that I am less than 24 weeks and hopefully find some dr that would fill out the paper work for me. But I don't like lying.......but I REALLY don't want to miss our first REAL family vacation!!! We have been planning this for almost a year now and as stated before, tickets are already purchased. I brought up changing the date, but my husband doesn't want to because it is not only us going but his parents and my nephew and everyone already has things planned out with their schedules. When I cruise I would be about 32 weeks along. From what I have researched, that is one of the best times to travel. This is my 6th pregnancy and pretty much all of them have been pretty uneventful for the most part. I am certain there will not be any issues on the cruise. I have cruised pg before (but less far along). I know they are looking out for their behinds as well as mine and the baby's protection........but I don't think it is needed in this instance. It says on the paper work that they wont make any exceptions........so I REALLY hate it! I wish I could go to the dr and him measure me and him think I am less far along.

P.S. please keep the "safety of the baby" comments to yourself.....me going on a cruise is in no way putting the baby in jeopardy....and again it is very unlikely that I would need medical assistance the one week I would be on the cruise.
#3 of 74 Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just did my fundal measurement and it was between 24 and 27. I did just eat, so that might have affected it some. Either way that is still measuring a little smaller, but still not small enough given the cruise is a few weeks away still. Not saying I want my baby unreasonably small or anything....just want to be able to go!
#4 of 74 Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey I don't have any advice just wanted to say that sucks!
#5 of 74 Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

thanks =S I know....I just wish I could find a loop hole or something. If I had the time or energy, I would cry discrimination...lol.
#6 of 74 Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So sorry to hear that. I hope it somehow works out for you. You could try phone them and try persuade the cruise ppl anyway. You never know.
BlessedOne likes this.
#7 of 74 Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Man that is ridiculous! Shouldn't it be up to the mother not her Dr???? I really don't have any advice, but I feel for ya!
BlessedOne likes this.
#8 of 74 Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Any chance you can hide the pregnancy? I have never had any issues ignoring the "rules" at amusement parks, airlines, etc. But I don't get very large.
The problem becomes if they catch you and refuse to let you on the boat then what?
As for a note, perhaps you can get one from a family Practioner or midwife certifying you are okay to travel and just leave off any dates? Then leave it in your luggage and if they ask for it just say, "Oops here it is." I mean it's so easy to forget things when traveling.
It really should be illegal discrimination. especially for UC because it's not like we're going to "need" to be evacuated to the nearest hospital. We'll just give birth and go on with life.
applejuice and BlessedOne like this.
#9 of 74 Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 AM

Found this with a quick search. http://www.eoc.org.hk/EOC/GraphicsFo...Discrimination

Not sure which country a cruise ship law would come under and frankly I wouldn't want the fight but maybe hold onto paperwork to show to staff that cause issues?

I still think best answer is lie and hide. Sorry.
applejuice and BlessedOne like this.
#10 of 74 Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdoc View Post
It really should be illegal discrimination. especially for UC because it's not like we're going to "need" to be evacuated to the nearest hospital. We'll just give birth and go on with life.
If you give birth at 32 weeks, I certainly hope that you won't just "go on with life." Most babies born at that stage will be just fine, but they typically need to spend some time in an NICU to get them to where they need to be. I certainly wouldn't want to give birth to a 32-weeker on a ship and I understand why a cruise line wouldn't either. They're simply not equipped to deal with that.

It sucks that you've paid for a trip you can't take. Travel insurance might be a good idea for anyone who thinks they might get pregnant.
erinsmom1996 likes this.
#11 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

The unfortunate thing is that the cruise line does know that I am pg. They do not know for sure how far along I am. So if I can play it off (and find a midwife or dr to do a note) that I am less than 24 weeks (which wouldn't be hard by appearance)......but I know so many practices are too scared to put anything on the line. I wish I could find a lay midwife, that would do it, but around here they have been slim pickin's.

I do agree that it is discrimination. The likelihood of me going into labor is less likely than some 60 year old having a heart attack on the ship. But I bet they don't tell people with heart conditions that they cant ride. I think if I had history of major pg issues or early deliveries, then I can understand them being concerned....but this is my 6th and has proven to be just as uneventful as my others. Also, again, I feel that it is more of a risk for someone less than 24 weeks to ride because if they go into labor there is not much hope. But I know they have their policies and they make it sound like they are VERY strict on them. I think I am going to see if I can find some lay midwives in this area that might be able to help me out. Thanks to everyone for advice. =)
#12 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Well.... I seem to remember there being some sort of discrepancy as to when you actually conceived and you "EDD" so I wonder if you could just go to the Dr and be completely honest about your wacky cycle and not sure of your dates. Then I would assume that they would send you for an US which are far from accurate at this stage, and it might all just pan out in your favor...
BlessedOne likes this.
#13 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

true true......I do plan to get another u/s...but I typically wait until as close to possible before baby is born to make sure position is good and no cord around the neck......obviously mid sept would be a bit early =S
I am thinking about calling my midwife the delivered my second and see if she will help me out by filling out the form. But she let her certification go and is in a different state and I am not even sure if I can find contact info for her as that was 10 years ago!
#14 of 74 Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 AM

This is a terrible idea. Here's why:

Let's assume that you can get your midwife to sign the form. No sane professional in any field would blatantly lie in order to help someone to on vacation, but let's assume for the sake of argument that she isn't sane and signs it.

So now you're on the boat. The chances of giving birth at 32-33 weeks are relatively small, but they are real. We're not talking about being hit by lightning. We are talking about something that happens thousands of times a year.

If your baby is born at 32 weeks on a cruise ship, you will require a medical evacuation. (The cruise ship is equipped to handle a 60 year old with a heart attack. The care they will offer won't be as good as you would get on land, but it will probably be sufficient. But they're completely incapable of caring for preemies, who require specialized equipment. That's why they don't want pregnant women past 24 weeks onboard in the first place.)

Let's assume a best-case scenario-- that your baby doesn't have any major issues related to delayed treatment. That leaves us with the issue of money. Depending on where you are and how dire the situation is, medical evacuation costs will easily run into the tens of thousands and possibly into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you have that kind of cash on hand? Or have you purchased insurance that would cover it?

Let's assume you do have insurance. You're off scot-free, right? Not so fast. While arranging your evacuation, the cruise line is going to incur substantial costs. Again, this could be in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. When they realize that these costs are related to a 32-week pregnancy-- the precise thing they wanted to avoid by implementing this policy-- they're not going to be very pleased. They'll want to recoup their costs, and they'll have a strong case, since you and your midwife have actively colluded to defraud them. (The fact that you've discussed it online won't help, by the way.) To make a long story short, they could very easily bankrupt you.

There's absolutely nothing farfetched about this situation. There are entire industries based around the fact that things like this happen every single day.

Please, please, please rethink this plan.
erinsmom1996 likes this.
#15 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

"So now you're on the boat. The chances of giving birth at 32-33 weeks are relatively small, but they are real. We're not talking about being hit by lightning. We are talking about something that happens thousands of times a year."
Yes, it is a very small chance, especially since I don't have any history of pre-term labors. Most of the people that I know that have had premature deliveries had more than one preterm delivery. In most cases, their body is just not capable of carrying a baby to term. That is a quote from one of their drs. I have had 5 full term pregnancies, I do not have a high risk of preterm birth.
"If your baby is born at 32 weeks on a cruise ship, you will require a medical evacuation. (The cruise ship is equipped to handle a 60 year old with a heart attack. The care they will offer won't be as good as you would get on land, but it will probably be sufficient. But they're completely incapable of caring for preemies, who require specialized equipment. That's why they don't want pregnant women past 24 weeks onboard in the first place.) "
First of all, the likelihood of having the baby on the ship is slim anyway. If preterm labor was noticed, as you said evac would occur. Babies (even preemies) are not born naturally instantly....there would likely be time to air lift out to a local hospital. On my particular ship...the farthest I would ever be from land would be 2 hours and that would be for a short time. That would likely be enough time to get to a hospital. Also, the most important thing a preemie needs is oxygen and warmth....both of which can be provided on the ship.
"Let's assume a best-case scenario-- that your baby doesn't have any major issues related to delayed treatment. That leaves us with the issue of money. Depending on where you are and how dire the situation is, medical evacuation costs will easily run into the tens of thousands and possibly into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do you have that kind of cash on hand? Or have you purchased insurance that would cover it?"
First off, I would not have to pay up front to get the services needed. Second, many if not most (all that I know of), will do payment plans...many times with no interest.

"Let's assume you do have insurance. You're off scot-free, right? Not so fast. While arranging your evacuation, the cruise line is going to incur substantial costs. Again, this could be in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. When they realize that these costs are related to a 32-week pregnancy-- the precise thing they wanted to avoid by implementing this policy-- they're not going to be very pleased. They'll want to recoup their costs, and they'll have a strong case, since you and your midwife have actively colluded to defraud them. (The fact that you've discussed it online won't help, by the way.) To make a long story short, they could very easily bankrupt you."
Any cost that is occurred is not up front and would be billed to the patient. It wouldn't cost the cruise line anything. Besides that, they wouldn't necessarily find out gestation. I would doubt that they would follow up on anything after the evac.
And the idea of me being criminalized because I talked about this online is absurd. First off, do you see my real name listed anywhere on this site? No...Second, did I once mention the cruise line or ship name or even route that is being taken? No.... The only thing that is listed is going on a cruise ship 8 months pregnant. They would have to do some major digging to even tie me to this at all...and I am pretty sure no one cares that much. So again, very unlikely that anything would be held against me from here.

Besides all of that, I am positive that nothing is going to happen. If they discriminate against me they will just end up loosing lifetime business from us as we are avid cruisers. My family is spending thousands and thousands of dollars on this trip alone. We can easily take our business somewhere else. So in the long run, it is their loss if they don't end up letting me board.
In reality, if they truly cared, they could have the proper things needed to take care of pregnant ladies. But it is obvious that they don't care enough to make that available. It is easier for them to ban pregnant ladies than it is 60 year old men with heart issues. Because if they banned people with heart issues, they would lose half of their business, since a good portion of cruisers are older people. But with just banning pg ladies that are further along, they lessen the amount of money they loose in bookings. As I said prior, they are just looking out for their own best interest.
#16 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
yeah, your thousands to their millions. I'm pretty sure they're not going to care about losing you as a customer.
#17 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
Update- actually it is 24 weeks and before that need a note and they have said that after 24 weeks they are not allowed to cruise.
If I was one prone to lie, I would just tell them that I am less than 24 weeks and hopefully find some dr that would fill out the paper work for me. But I don't like lying.......but I REALLY don't want to miss our first REAL family vacation!!! We have been planning this for almost a year now and as stated before, tickets are already purchased. I brought up changing the date, but my husband doesn't want to because it is not only us going but his parents and my nephew and everyone already has things planned out with their schedules. When I cruise I would be about 32 weeks along. From what I have researched, that is one of the best times to travel. This is my 6th pregnancy and pretty much all of them have been pretty uneventful for the most part. I am certain there will not be any issues on the cruise. I have cruised pg before (but less far along). I know they are looking out for their behinds as well as mine and the baby's protection........but I don't think it is needed in this instance. It says on the paper work that they wont make any exceptions........so I REALLY hate it! I wish I could go to the dr and him measure me and him think I am less far along.

P.S. please keep the "safety of the baby" comments to yourself.....me going on a cruise is in no way putting the baby in jeopardy....and again it is very unlikely that I would need medical assistance the one week I would be on the cruise.

My concern would be that if you did go into preterm labor the cruise ship would be under the assumption that you were less than 24 weeks pregnant, which is usually considered the int of viability. Would they be as aggressive in evacuating you (which, even if you are only 2 hours from land is still a big undertaking) if they thought this to be a late-term miscarriage (depending on how far along they thought you were) and not a pre-term but absolutely viable birth.

I would also worry that if you did need medical attention that your insurance company would possibly refuse coverage because you lied to the cruise line to be able to sail.

I understand not wanting to miss a vacation but this seems like (to me) too big of a risk to take.
#18 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
The 24-week pregnancy ban isn't about the cruise ship not having facilities for pregnant ladies. It's about the cruise ship not having facilities for premature infants. Before 24 weeks, if premature labor happens somehow, or a pregnant woman is injured in such a way that early delivery is indicated, the cruise line can argue that the baby was too small to be viable, and there's nothing anyone could have done, so they were not negligent in not having things to care for preemies. After 24 weeks, they still can't afford the things they'd need to care for preemies (which include considerable staff and special equipment), so they avoid liability by telling women not to cruise at that stage in pregnancy.

As it happens, I had a 32 week preemie, and I find your assertion that preemies at that stage just need warmth and oxygen to be excessively optimistic. My daughter had the benefit of being an anticipated preemie, which means that she had a complete series of betamethasone shots to help improve her lung maturity. Despite this precaution, DD experienced respiratory distress syndrome at birth - her lungs were immature, and wet, and consequently stuck to themselves when she exhaled. This is a fairly common problem for preemies, and in DD's case, it was treated by CPAP (a special, neonate-sized machine that blew air into her lungs), and artificial lung surfactant, which has to be administered via intubation. Do you believe that the cruise ship has these items on board, and has staff trained to safely use them?

You say you'll never be more than two hours from land, but your distance from land is not a measure of how long it would take a helicopter to reach you. A more accurate measure would be how far you are from the closest major hospital with an on-shift helicopter crew that isn't out on some other call, times two, because the helicopter has to come get you, and then bring you back to shore. (Also, the boat can't just go to the nearest port and dock to offload you - cruise ships are huge, and there aren't infinite harbor facilities for them. If the cruise berths are full, or rented to another cruise company, you're stuck on the dratted boat.) If the weather is bad, you should add time to this estimate, possibly days - Nantucket General Hospital admits that, about a third of the time they call for medevac to the mainland, they don't get it.

I think your odds of premature delivery are low if you have no risk factors or warning signs, but you haven't seen an OB, and you don't seem to have a midwife, so it seems entirely possible there might be warning signs present that you have no way of looking at yourself.

I think you're putting yourself and your family in a very awkward position by trying this. The people who do cruise ship check in are not blind or stupid, and plenty of people have tried to get on cruises while very pregnant before you. I believe that the most likely outcome is that medical staff from the cruise turns you away on boarding, and tells your family, very politely, that they can board without you if they want, but you may not board. They will hold firm on this. It is quite likely that some, or even all, of your cruise tickets are not refundable at that point, so the cruise line doesn't care whether you get on the boat or not. If you have not discussed this possibility with your partner in advance, you will have to have that discussion very quickly, and in front of the kids.

I would, personally, be extremely hesitant to tell my children that we were all going on vacation together, get them packed up, and take them to the cruise terminal, if there was a strong chance that I would not, in fact, be going with them. I would be even more reluctant to do all that if I felt that, if I couldn't get on the boat, they wouldn't either. But that's what you're about to do - you're about to pack up your whole family for a wonderful vacation that has about a 95% chance of being a few hours waiting in line and arguing before either you alone, or the whole family, go back home. That is a rotten thing to do to your kids.

Either decide to cancel the whole trip, or decide that you're staying home alone while the rest of the family goes (which might be lovely and restful), and tell the children what the plans are. Don't yank them around by acting like your whole family is getting on a cruise ship for a great vacation.
#19 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

1. notice this is posted in the UC forum....if you don't UC or are not supportive of UC, then feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.
2. This isn't my first cruise....not even my first cruise while pregnant, I am well aware of protocol.
3. As for "my thousands vs their millions"- if they lost my family as a whole they would in the long run be losing more than a few thousand. As I said, this trip alone (not counting all of our other trips and all future trips) cost thousands and thousands and thousands. So yes, even though we wouldn't bankrupt the company by any means, they would be losing substantial business that would be going to a competing company.
4. As I stated prior.....it is unlikely that even if I did go into preterm labor that the baby would just pop out in a few seconds. It would take time to birth a baby....even at a preemie size. So it is VERY likely that I would be able to get to an adequate hospital in time. And in regards to the 2 hour time frame....that would be a very short time that I would be that far from land. In most instances, it would be much less. Many times, you can actually see land from the ship. I have taken this exact route before, so I am aware of how long I would be far from land. So the likelihood that during the very short time frame (less than a few hours) that I would be that far from land and something happen is VERY VERY VERY slim. Also, my calculations are to the closest equipped hospital....not just some foreign land.
5. I am no stranger to birth and pregnancy. I have delivered 5 healthy babies (not including my friends baby), 3 of which completely unassisted. I know warning signs and what to look for or check into.
6. In regards to preemies needing warmth and o2- I am well aware of CPAP machines as my mother, brother and aunts are on them. They have different pressure settings, so they can be adjusted for use in babies. Really the biggest thing is mask size....but for temporary purposes a bigger mask would work. Keep in mind I wouldn't be on the ship for days with a preemie....IF the baby was even born on the ship, it would be a very minimal time that I was there. As for supplies on the ship- it wouldn't be hard for the ship to have shots/iv to stop/slow labor and even the steroid shots/iv. That stuff wouldn't be a huge cost to them or take up a lot of space. I am not saying they need a complete NICU on the ship...but they could do things to better the chances. And I guarantee that they have o2 on the ship. It might not be administered via CPAP, but they do have o2 and chances are it can be used on a baby.
7. In regards to viability- I understand what you are saying that there could be an instance where they wouldn't even try because of no hope. But for any person in that scenario, I would really hope they would at least try.
8. In regards to medical staff on the ship- they are far from understaffed...honestly they have more staff than what would be in a normal delivery room....possibly even operating room. They have at least 2 drs trained in various fields and at least 5 nurses. It is not like they just have one little paramedic running around. They have a stocked infirmary and staff to work it. And their stock is more than just bandaids.

And most importantly even with all of these IFs, the biggest if is IF in those few days I would even go into labor. Which is highly unlikely. So I think all of the worrying is not needed.
#20 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
IF you insist on leaving all the potential prematurity points aside, I think you should still consider what happens if you show up at the cruise terminal and they deny you for boarding.
#21 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 01:34 PM

"notice this is posted in the UC forum....if you don't UC or are not supportive of UC, then feel free to keep your opinions to yourself."

I support UC. If you have a low risk pregnancy and a solid backup plan in place, then go for it. That doesn't mean that anything anyone who is planning to UC does is, by definition, reasonable. If your plan is to pop out conjoined twins at home, I'm going to speak up and say that your plan is a bad one. (Obviously what you're proposing isn't anywhere close to that level of risk. The point is that supporting UC doesn't mean agreeing with every decision.)

"I do not have a high risk of preterm birth. "

I have no idea if this is true. What I do know is that you've had an untreated UTI for months, which is a serious risk factor for preterm birth and low birth weight.

"First off, I would not have to pay up front to get the services needed. Second, many if not most (all that I know of), will do payment plans...many times with no interest."

Do you have contact info for these creditors who are willing to extend interest-free loans? I haven't run into them yet. Even if this is somehow true, though, you're still talking about a massive medical bill. I don't know your personal situation, but if your budget can handle six kids and payments on a $100,000 bill, then congratulations-- you're doing much better than DH and I.

"It wouldn't cost the cruise line anything."

Except for the fuel costs for time spent idling or reversing course. Or the costs that they may incur due to missing a scheduled stop/seeking alternative docking arrangements. Those are just two potential costs off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many other ways this could cost them a great deal of money. And if they do incur costs, you better believe they'll be investigating this.

"Besides all of that, I am positive that nothing is going to happen."

Why?

"It would take time to birth a baby....even at a preemie size. So it is VERY likely that I would be able to get to an adequate hospital in time."

Don't forget to subtract the several hours that you are in labor but denying that it's actually happen because you are "positive" that this won't happen.

"I am well aware of CPAP machines as my mother, brother and aunts are on them. They have different pressure settings, so they can be adjusted for use in babies."

Are you kidding? No, a CPAP machine designed for an adult will not be appropriate for a preterm infant.

"As for supplies on the ship- it wouldn't be hard for the ship to have shots/iv to stop/slow labor and even the steroid shots/iv. "

No, it wouldn't be that hard for them to have this on board. The question is: do they actually have this equipment on board? I don't know, but I highly doubt that they do.

"And I guarantee that they have o2 on the ship. It might not be administered via CPAP, but they do have o2 and chances are it can be used on a baby. "

You really don't know what you're talking about. Oxygen systems designed for adults can and will cause serious lung damage to a preemie. This is a risk even with specialized equipment designed for preemies.

" In regards to medical staff on the ship- they are far from understaffed...honestly they have more staff than what would be in a normal delivery room....possibly even operating room."

Great. They're still not equipped to treat a preemie. That requires highly specialized staff and, perhaps more importantly, equipment.

I agree with you, though, that the cruise lines policies are disgusting. While I don't think they should be allowing people on board who they can't treat, they should definitely offer you a refund or credit for a future cruise. I looked into this, and apparently one of the reasons they do this is because a growing portion of their revenue comes from selling insurance for cancelled trips. They want you to spread your story so that other people buy expensive insurance. That's despicable. If you've cruised with this line in the past, you might want to write a letter to them. Don't try to debate their medical policies with them. Rather, explain that you're a loyal customer and that you'll be taking your business elsewhere if they don't present an acceptable resolution.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. People aren't disagreeing with you to make you feel bad. They're disagreeing with you because this is a really bad plan on so many levels.

(P.S. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this, but cruise ships are filthy. They're breeding grounds for all kinds of germs. I'd rather give birth four or five times in the back seat of a car than once on a cruise ship.)
#22 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I know it seems your risk is low, but it still exists. I had my water break at 22 weeks on vacation, and it was terrible and stressful and I had to drive an hour to get to a hospital with a level 3 NICU, and this was mainland USA, not the ocean. Then we had the stress of how to get me home, a seven hour drive. Now I am on hospital bedrest, having been through two weeks knowing that if my baby was born, she would likely die. Only in the last few days have the doctors been positive about her chances, and this is with the best possible care, and her being born in the hospital with the NICU docs in attendance. Babies who are transferred from outside do not do as well, both in survival and in long term problems.

I have had four perfect pregnancies before this one with no complications, including two home births where the midwife did nothing except chat from across the room, I'm in perfect health, and yet here I am.

Long and short: I would not go. It's only money.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks

Last edited by Galatea; 09-09-2014 at 04:37 PM.
#23 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I know it seems your risk is low, but it still exists. I had my water break at 22 weeks on vacation, and it was terrible and stressful and I had to drive an hour to get to a hospital with a level 3 NICU, and this was mainland USA, not the ocean. Then we had the stress of how to get me home, a seven hour drive. Now I am on hospital bedrest, having been through two weeks knowing that if my baby was born, she would likely die. Only in the last few days have the doctors been positive about her chances, and this is with the best possible care, and her being born in the hospital with the NICU docs in attendance. Babies who are transferred from outside do not do as well, both in survival and in long term problems.

I have had four perfect pregnancies before this one with no complications, two home births where the midwife did noting except chat from across the room, perfect health, and yet here I am.

Long and short: I would not go. It's only money.
Good luck, Galatea. The situation you're in doesn't sound fun at all.
Galatea likes this.
#24 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedurak View Post
Good luck, Galatea. The situation you're in doesn't sound fun at all.
Well, now that I am 26 weeks and in the hospital with the level 3 NICU, it's not so terrifying. Baby has an 85% chance of survival this week, which is really good, considering when this started she had 30% chance of surviving, and 75% chance of being severely disabled. I'm almost sure to have a c section, though, and definitely a NICU stay.

And, we got no vacation. Water broke on first day of vacation.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#25 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Galatea; Long and short: I would not go. It's only money

Seriously. It's a trip, you're willing to go through the stress for some fun. UC is not about birthing in the most ridiculous places possible, it's supposed to be peaceful, what are you trying to do? And we don't have to agree with you, we're giving you sound advice. Your baby does not need the helicopter ride and does not need the stress that will be put upon it. I'd tell you to trust your mama instincts, but I think that one is probably mute at this point.
#26 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
1. notice this is posted in the UC forum....if you don't UC or are not supportive of UC, then feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.
While I hadn't realized that this was in the UC forum I don't think that the vast majority, if not all, of the advice given would differ regardless of where you plan to give birth.
32 weeks is early. Sometimes scary early. Going into labor on land is much different than being on a floating object in the ocean. The times you quote for flying back to the mainland are under ideal conditions, bad weather happens. Life flight helicopters are sometimes busy with other emergencies. You must consider worst case scenario when you look at a situation like this - and yes, sometimes after having several perfect births one can go terribly wrong. Just ask Galatea.
#27 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

"I have no idea if this is true. What I do know is that you've had an untreated UTI for months, which is a serious risk factor for preterm birth and low birth weight." Untreated is untrue. I have done everything in my power except get anti-biotics that I am allergic to. Yes, perhaps I should go get them, then I can risk my airways closing and putting both me and the baby at risk. Boy that sounds like a great idea. Or better yet, I risk a very mild infection that is very unlikely to hurt anything. Besides all of that, I have since gotten over the UTI. And yes, without anti-biotics.

In regards to medical bills. If you pay the actual facilities BEFORE it gets sent to creditors, then in many cases (every single case I have been a part of) it is interest free. It only gets sent to creditors if a payment plan is not set up and adhered to. That has been true for us for everything from ambulance bills, doctor bills, hospital bills, lab bills...pretty much every type of medical bill we have encountered. We have never had to deal with major surgery, but have minor surgery...but still yet, it was the same way. And most of that was done without insurance...therefore out of pocket. The bills we had to pay with insurance was just co-pays or things not covered (such as ambulance).
As for financial status, yes, my family is well off and completely debt free outside of the house we just purchased this week.

As for cruise ship costs- I am pretty sure it wouldn't cost them anything to sit idly in the water. But besides that I am pretty sure they wouldn't do that...they would continue their course and slow for copter to land. I actually know this because I asked this exact question on our last cruise when we had a meet and greet with the cruise director.

"Why?" Because I am a healthy person with a good history of healthy pregnancy and deliveries.

And yes, a normal CPAP machine CAN be used for a preterm infant.
And yes, normal o2 equipment can be used for babies (even preterm)...it is all about the percentage of o2...and it helps if the mask size is appropriate, but in a fix, an adult one will work.

In regards to the cleanliness of cruise ships- providing there are not viral issues like some have experienced (which is from the people not the cruise ship)...they are actually quite clean. If you have ever been a on cruise ship, you will see that the staff is ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS cleaning and scrubbing everything from walls to floors to windows to handrails and everywhere in between. That is actually one thing that really impressed me about them. (and besides they are always painting ...especially while at port). And as a germophobe, I enjoy that they have antibacterial sanitizer all over the ship for people the use. The only real issue is the people.....and in reality, you have just as much of an ability to get sick going to Walmart or the mall.
#28 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Galatea- I am glad your situation is looking better. But keep in mind there are 10 weeks difference between what you went through and me. Even if I was at home and went into labor at 32 weeks, I would still have to drive an hour to NICU. And at least with the helicopter flight, the hospital would know that you are coming and in theory get you in right away. I know from experience that with going to the ER unannounced, you will sit for likely an hour or more.....unless you are in a life threatening situation they do not hurry. So in reality the cruise verses being home is not much different in time frame for me.

In regards to ucers post vs non ucers post- you can easily look at who is an ucer (or supportive of it) and who isn't. Notice none of the first several posts were like the last several. And Nederak - just looking at most of your posts, you can tell you are not supportive of UC.
#29 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
We planned a family cruise before I knew i was pg. We have already purchased tickets and have since found out that ladies past 24 weeks are not allowed to cruise without note from obgyn. And to state the obvious..i don't have an obgyn. I would be 8 months pg at time of cruise. Any suggestions?

Why not go see an OBGYN and get a note?

They gave you a loophole big enough to drive a truck through. I couldn't even go to pre-natal water aerobics without a note from my OBGYN. This is just them covering their a$$, not discrimination.

If you are truly very low risk, and if you are truly very healthy right now, then it is quite possible that the only thing between you and this vacation is your refusal to have someone who went to medical school write you a note.

I think you would be a bit of a fool to show up to board the boat with no documentation. What will you do if they refuse you entry? This isn't about UC, this is about a vacation. Hopefully, it isn't about giving birth at all. If you do give birth in that situation, it will be VERY assisted.
Galatea likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#30 of 74 Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I am very positive about UC and consider UC-ing my next baby (depending on how this one goes). My 1st was planned to be a home birth.

But this isn't a UC issue. People don't UC 32week babies usually. I know you are looking for maybe more the UC mindset, and honestly I feel like I count as much as anyone- not everyone who wants to UC has the exact same mindset about everything. But I don't think I would personally UP (in my particular situation) and maybe that's where the difference is?

There is no way to justify that anything would work out well for a 32 weeker on a cruise ship. It is a pretty big issue even to give birth in a hospital without a NICU at that point, even if the hospital with the NICU is only an hour away. There are several of us here who have been through that and I think we are just expressing that there's no way to minimize that or MacGyver your way around it; we have seen what it took to keep our child alive.

Who cares about money, you're right. Somewhere is a huge expense and who knows how it would go. Wasn't there the case with the 1 yo with diarrhea and dehydration, on the sailboat with her parents recently, from US to Europe, and that whole evacuation? So, not unprecedented.

So what it boils down to (clinically) is what are the chances of it happening when you have a well proven body/uterus, and you're right it's slim. But happens. The woman who was waiting in the waiting room in my tiny community hospital, with me for her glucose test just had her baby, at 29 weeks. 4th baby, all others uncomplicated term births. It happened so fast they couldn't get her up to the NICU hospital 1 hr north. My "labor" with my preemie was not much more than 2 hours with very little warning.

Yes, it's overall a small small risk, and for those of us who have been there it is scary to think about but for those who never have or probably never will it is just one of the many small risks in life we all take in stride. I can see why the cruise ship wouldn't want to take it on, and I can't imagine a MW/OB taking it on either. Lawsuits for babies always result in much higher rewards than for old people, so I'm sure it all boils down to money, but of course they are a business. You have the right of course to take that risk on yourself (and I don't think you'd necessarily be crazy to do so) but I guess that only applies if it's your boat.

And clinical issues aside, I think MeepyCat has a good point. I guess ultimately that was probably more what you were looking for- more the practical side of things. And I know you said no fair playing the dead baby card. But as you responded to some of the PP about what it might look like if it happened, it just started sounding very unrealistic. So I guess just ignore all our clinical comments if that's not what you want to hear about. I guess it's just very triggering for someone like me who is both pro (term) UC and the mom of a preemie. It's not mutually exclusive.
Galatea likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page