Mothering Forum banner

New tv series about UC

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sillysapling 
#1 ·
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-women-giving-BIRTH-wild-no-help-doctors.html

Looks a little crazy even to me. Mostly the fact that the women seem to be planning to give birth outside in the middle of nowhere. What about getting dirt or bugs someplace it could cause infection. What if they did decide that they needed to get help? Are you going to trek through the woods in labor??? Plus most UCers don't give birth in the woods. It would have been nice if they went with a documentary series that was more educating instead of this sensationalist stuff. What do y'all think?

#4 ·
Calling women who want to home birth part of a cult is pretty scary. No mention of the fact that things are still pushed on moms, and that medical intimidation and bullying are pretty common practices. We may have gotten better than the times where you were tied down, shaved, given an enema, isolated, etc.. But that doesn't mean that we should stop wanting improvements in the mentality of our society when it comes to birth!

#5 ·
It's not really UC, it's more outdoor homebirth with a hands-off midwife/doctor. In some of the articles they talk about how they have medical professionals on hand and do it close enough to a hospital. No network would risk that kind of liability issues of letting someone give birth without a medical professional right there. I imagine they'd even have an ambulance on site just in case, although I didn't see anything specifically saying so.

I hope they make that clear in the show, though. There's a big difference between going out totally alone in the woods, and having medical professionals on hand while you do so. They also really carefully screened the women (no first timers, no one with a history or likelihood of complications, etc) to further reduce the risk of complications- if they don't make that clear as well, then they're being seriously irresponsible.

I'm not saying no one should ever do UC, we considered it with our first and it's still on the table in the future, but if this network makes it out that that's what these women are doing or fails to point out that they're only using really low-risk candidates, then they're misrepresenting what's happening. If they wanted to do a show on UC, I'm sure they could find people who taped their UCs and do a documentary with that footage and interviewing them about what happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.