Could I do a UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Could I do a UC?

I have wanted a home birth before I was pregnant with my oldest dd, who is ten. I could never get my dh on board. We have complications throughout pregnancy, such as early labor, early delivery at 35 weeks. With dd2 I had shots of progesterone from 30 weeks on to keep baby in, modified bed rest, gestational diabetes, along with early labor. She was born t 37 weeks with so much effort to keep her in. That baby was also born having breathing trouble, but to be fair, after my water broke no contractions for 15 hours and dr was concerned, I opted for pit so I would not have to have a c/s. I know the Pit caused trouble. I do understand where dh is coming from, but I'm so frustrated to have to give birth in a hospital again. With dd1, I was bullied by doctors to have an epidural and we kicked one dr out of the room and had another come in. With dd2, (my OB was fantastic! I have her now,) and SHE kicked the nurses out of the room since they were bullying me into an epidural. I HATE the idea of having to give birth in a hospital again. The closest birth center is over an hour away.

I am paying more money for insurance now, with the affordable healthcare just keep my OB. I can't change it obviously which is why my dh says there is no way we can have a home birth. I just keep thinking I should have a UC. I know it may sound crazy, but I am sure I can do this. I am a nurse, I can take neonatal CPR classes, and I feel like I can take care of myself during this pregnancy without the OB care.

I feel so upset right now about having to continue care. Lets face it, I go tell my OB I'm feeling great, she says OK, I'll see you in four weeks.

Am I crazy to consider this when I've trouble in the past? How do I convince dh to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would check out indiebirth.com. Lots of help and info! Do one of the "materni-tea" free phone consults. They could probably really help. They were great answering questions for me.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I haven't had complicated pregnancies, so I don't really have much advice that is relevant.... but I will try to help.
First off, a birthing center over an hour away is not really an issue. My bc was 6 hours away! Now THAT is a little much as I had to labor in the car for hours and try to keep him in the last hour! He was born 5 minutes after I arrived! But if I had a good bc an hour away, I would definitely consider it an option. I enjoyed my bc birth for the most part. It was a nice stepping stone from hospital birth to uc.

It sounds like you have a great doctor. which is awesome (truly hard to find if we are honest! lol). I understand not liking to birth in the hospital though. I joke that the only thing I liked about my hospital birth was that the nurses waited on me hand and foot.... although I didn't like some of their attitudes. I actually tried to kick one during labor! lol

The nice thing is with you being a nurse, it gives you an advantage if you uc. Although with having complicated pregnancies, if it were me, I would be slightly bothered to think about a uc.....but if you are confident in your ability and body.... then it probably wouldn't hurt to try..... just maybe have a back up plan. If all else fails, you could transfer. The nice thing is that the issues you have had are something that you would realize and could get to the doctor or hospital before it was too late..... and with having the issues before, you know what to expect. Did any of your babies have to stay in the hospital for a long time due to actual issues (not due to protocol)? I hope you find a plan that gives you and your hubby peace!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
As for whether or not to stay home, I'd say go with the flow and have a general idea of what you want but be v open to changing it.

I was considering UC but I couldn't actually decide firmly to do that do I instead planned for a hb and proceeded accordingly. I decided ahead of time that I would wait to call the mw's until it felt right, which I knew would be late into it. I was ideally hoping to have the mw arrive right at the birth but I knew shed probably end up at the birth since who can predict it that accurately right? After being in labour for about 10.5 hours thing started to pick up and I called the mw 1/2 hour later and she ended up getting caught up with something else and it took her 40 minutes to arrive (instead of the usual 10) and when she got there dd was 8 minutes old! It was beyond perfect. I did a ton of mental prep and thought about what could go wrong, what I would do, and when id transfer. I thought about my worst fears and what I would do if they happened. I also did hypnobabies to try to get positive messages about birth since most messages about birth in my culture are fear based and negative. Hypnobabies helped a lot. It was awsome. I say reverse engineer the problem by figuring out your perfect ideal birth and thinking backwards to what could happen that would make that impossible. This should add a level of clarity to things. Ultimately only you know if you can hb or UC.

My first was an awful traumatic hospital birth where I was forced to I two days with almost no food (a couple crackers at the start), was given drugs against my will, was bullied for 9 hours to get an unnecessary c-section then outright abused for refusing, and battered with EFM belts. So yeah, I totally get the desire to avoid hospitals'

User Tag List