1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratchet

#1 of 20 Old 06-13-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Figuring out due date

Hello ladies,
This is my 6th pg and I have had a time trying to figure out my due date! All year my cycles have been off kilter..... which is so not my norm. Typically I track everything and can pin point conception day..but with this it has been hard. I could use some help!
My first period of the year started Jan 1. I was excited because it would be easy to track. It lasted the normal length. Everything seemed normal, but then within a week I started again and it lasted longer than normal. So basically I bled for most of Jan (minus a few days). I was starting to get concerned as this wasn't normal and I told myself I would go to the doctor if it didn't end within a week. A few days into February it stopped. Throughout February I spotted lightly on and off. Most of the time after intercourse, but sometimes whenever.
Not to be all tmi but we had intercourse 2nd,4th,8th,15th (possibly more but that is what I have logged). In March, I had no period, and started to have symptoms, but I attributed it to My new extreme diet. I started my diet the 6th and by the 9th food wasn't appealing to me and I felt nausea. By the 17th or 18th, I felt more tired than normal... but again attributed it to diet. And didn't think much of missing my period and these other symptoms since my cycles were out of whack and the diet. March 22nd my energy returned and I felt great again. Towards the end of March, I started to question if pg because still no period. I had acquired a severe uti due to dehydration. My bladder literally hurt. April 3rd while at the circus with my kids, I felt what I thought was 2 very distinct kicks to my bladder, but it was one of those things that didn't make sense... but I said I would for sure test. I tested the 10th and it was a very quick positive. The uti continued (still been fighting it off) and occasionally I would think I felt a kick to the bladder but figured it was a gas bubble. Sometime in May I could certainly feel faint movements.... but still (even now) not really able to be felt on outside of body.
So comparing this to my other 5 pg. I have typically started to feel sick within the first few days of conception, with that lasting about a week give or take. And tiredness accompanies that. I have always felt babies sooner than later but this just seems absurd! I do know babies start moving around 7 weeks but typically are not felt for a long time later. But I wonder if having an extra sensitive bladder made me be able to feel sooner? So with all of this.... my possible conception times would be Feb 15th give or take (felt sick 20th) or about March 6th give or take. I am leaning towards March, but feel I am farther along than that (pants are already too tight and wont zip!) I actually lost about 4 or so pounds.... which is not uncommon while on this diet.

Any help would be great! I do plan to do a u/s. I typically do them within last month of pg but am considering sooner to get better idea. Although they have always put me a week or more less farther along... so not really sure it would help much. I hate not knowing!
#2 of 20 Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
Hello ladies,
This is my 6th pg and I have had a time trying to figure out my due date! All year my cycles have been off kilter..... which is so not my norm. Typically I track everything and can pin point conception day..but with this it has been hard. I could use some help!
My first period of the year started Jan 1. I was excited because it would be easy to track. It lasted the normal length. Everything seemed normal, but then within a week I started again and it lasted longer than normal. So basically I bled for most of Jan (minus a few days). I was starting to get concerned as this wasn't normal and I told myself I would go to the doctor if it didn't end within a week. A few days into February it stopped. Throughout February I spotted lightly on and off. Most of the time after intercourse, but sometimes whenever.
Not to be all tmi but we had intercourse 2nd,4th,8th,15th (possibly more but that is what I have logged). In March, I had no period, and started to have symptoms, but I attributed it to My new extreme diet. I started my diet the 6th and by the 9th food wasn't appealing to me and I felt nausea. By the 17th or 18th, I felt more tired than normal... but again attributed it to diet. And didn't think much of missing my period and these other symptoms since my cycles were out of whack and the diet. March 22nd my energy returned and I felt great again. Towards the end of March, I started to question if pg because still no period. I had acquired a severe uti due to dehydration. My bladder literally hurt. April 3rd while at the circus with my kids, I felt what I thought was 2 very distinct kicks to my bladder, but it was one of those things that didn't make sense... but I said I would for sure test. I tested the 10th and it was a very quick positive. The uti continued (still been fighting it off) and occasionally I would think I felt a kick to the bladder but figured it was a gas bubble. Sometime in May I could certainly feel faint movements.... but still (even now) not really able to be felt on outside of body.
So comparing this to my other 5 pg. I have typically started to feel sick within the first few days of conception, with that lasting about a week give or take. And tiredness accompanies that. I have always felt babies sooner than later but this just seems absurd! I do know babies start moving around 7 weeks but typically are not felt for a long time later. But I wonder if having an extra sensitive bladder made me be able to feel sooner? So with all of this.... my possible conception times would be Feb 15th give or take (felt sick 20th) or about March 6th give or take. I am leaning towards March, but feel I am farther along than that (pants are already too tight and wont zip!) I actually lost about 4 or so pounds.... which is not uncommon while on this diet.

Any help would be great! I do plan to do a u/s. I typically do them within last month of pg but am considering sooner to get better idea. Although they have always put me a week or more less farther along... so not really sure it would help much. I hate not knowing!
Have you tried to measure your fundal height at all? Do you usually measure correctly/smaller/bigger? Take that into consideration.
#3 of 20 Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't other than just hand width measurements.....I typically measure a little small.

my sis in law told me of gestation predictor kits.... any one know anything about these ?
#4 of 20 Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

clear blue easy says they are the only one to have one and it doesn't go past 3 weeks... which I know I am farther along than that
#5 of 20 Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I will just call the clinic Monday and see about an apt ..i hate to have to do 2 u/s....
#6 of 20 Old 06-21-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

I did my fundal measurement today and providing I didn't mess it up too badly, it said 18-20....which is one of the options that make sense.
I did go ahead and make an apt at the clinic for Monday for an u/s. I just hope that the nurse can help. She is primarily trained in first trimester scans....and I believe I am past that. I have done my own research, and hope that will help in the determination even if her knowledge is limited. If she can provide me with accurate measurements, then I can figure out the rest. =)
#7 of 20 Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so I had my dating scan today. It lined up perfectly with my fundal measurements as well as one of the possible conception dates......so I am happy to finally have pinned it down! The funny thing is, I went to the crisis pregnancy clinic for the u/s. They of course had to get pg test done to even agree to the scan. The nurse said she got a "faint positive" (which is completely opposite of the super fast positive I got when I first tested in April). So she figured I was very newly pregnant. We get to the u/s machine and she starts the scan and the first words out of her mouth were, "HOLY CRAP!". She was surprised I was so far along and said that I was definitely into my second trimester (which I knew). She proceeded with the measurements and it looks like I am 19 weeks 4 days. She did take several pics and printed out a handful for me...but honestly most of them were useless to show people. She didn't take any profile pic or anything. She actually took 5 of the same pic over and over on accident! So out of 10 pics she printed, she kept a few and I only got five pics (three of which were the same pic!) She took pics of the heart, umbilical cord, and femur. The best pic I have to show people is the femur! It disappointed me, although I shouldn't complain about a free ultrasound. Although I did give them a $20 donation. ....but that is way cheaper than most places....but I can tell their equipment is older and not as well defined as the place I normally go. I will go to my normal place towards the end of the pregnancy as always.
#8 of 20 Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I didn't tell her I homebirth and definitely not that I UC. So she kept pressuring me into choosing a dr and talking about how she is such a fan of western medicine and blah blah blah. She wants me to call her back and let her know the dr I choose, so she can send the u/s pics she kept to him/her. sigh.....
If it wouldn't be a pain in my butt and cost a ton of money, I would just "pick" a dr and go to one visit....and then be done. But that sounds like quite the hassle just to appease one person. The down fall is that these are people I see on a regular basis (I volunteer at the clinic and the director is my cousin), so it is not like I can avoid it and I REALLY don't want to tell her I UC. I seriously think she would freak...and I don't want to deal with that. But yet I don't want to deal with a dr either. I will say that if I did go to the dr, I would make sure he got me a letter stating I was healthy enough to go on the cruise that my family is booked to go on.......although even so the cruise line would have to break policy to allow that because I would be past 24 weeks at the time of the cruise. I am supposed to call the cruise line back and talk to them....not sure what they are going to say since they already emailed my husband stating their policy that inhibited me from going. Maybe they changed their mind
#9 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

ok so somewhat confused again- if anyone is out there listening...could you please help me understand something?

Jun 24 I had my scan as stated above...the u/s measured the baby at 19 weeks and 4 days..which if I go from June 24 back 19 weeks and 4 days....it puts my conception date at about Feb 7 but according to the pregnancy calculators online....if I conceived on Feb 7, then at the scan I would have shown me being 21 weeks not 19 weeks ......to me it seems like the calculator is messed up......
here is what I did-
I calculated via a calendar backwards from June 24 19 weeks and 4 days to which my conception date would be Feb 7 if that is true....(which is a plausible time btw) ...but here is what doesn't make sense....if I then go to an online pregnancy calculator, and put in Feb 7 as my conception date it shows me as currently being 23 weeks along (21 weeks June 24) instead of 21 (19 weeks June 24) like I should be according to my scan.......I don't get why it is two weeks off...I know February is a different month with having less days but I don't think that is it ... can anyone explain this to me? I know if you go off LMP it adds two weeks, but this calculator is supposed to go off of conception date not LMP...so there shouldn't be 2 weeks added
#10 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I tried other calculators and it says that same....what am I missing? Would I now be 21 weeks as my scan June 24th showed me at 19 weeks.......or would I be at 23 weeks going by what the conception date would be if reversing from 19 weeks on June 24th?
#11 of 20 Old 07-07-2014, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

after much searching on the internet, I think I figured out the reason......it is the difference between gestational age and fetal age......fetal age is based off conception date and gestational age is based off of LMP.....which of course the two are 2 weeks off from each other.....the issue is that many people use them interchangeably....and this is where confusion comes in... so I *assume* that the pregnancy calculators actually would go by gestational age...not fetal age.... although the sites say that if you pick the conception date option that it will not add the 2 extra weeks like LMP.......so not really sure that helps much..lol...oh well, I guess I will just go with measurements and say that I am 21 weeks instead of 23

feel free to give out some advise if you have it =)
#12 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

or perhaps the difference is the day you conceived (had intercourse) vs the day fertilization happened or perhaps even implantation

Honestly it still doesn't make complete sense so me, I guess I will just focus on the measurements and hope they are right.....basically I just don't want to get in the position where I am 2 weeks off from when I think I will deliver....

The interesting thing is that everyone of my previous pg u/s, they put me a week smaller than I really was therefore putting my due date out a week or more later than what I knew based on conception dates. But with all of my pgs I was also over 6 months pg...and measurements are less accurate then. So I guess I should put more stock in this u/s since it was earlier and providing it was done correctly, then it should be pretty accurate....although a part of me questions her expertise...given her being used to 1st trimester scans....she did seem quite confident though....so who knows =S

I just hate not know for sure! I was hoping the u/s would take away confusion, not add more! Although in reality it is more the calculators that are adding the confusion rather than the u/s.
#13 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is sort of confusing but my thoughts were that the measurement you got at the u/s was from LMP and so you shouldn't treat it as your conception date. Would that make sense?
#14 of 20 Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmm perhaps.....although I made it clear to the nurse that my cycles were out of whack and that I didn't know when my LMP was....so I would assume that she wouldn't have went by that. Although she did just put a guess date of LMP being Feb 15 th I think (I would have to check paperwork to know for sure).....and she went by that to give me the due date of Nov. 20th (again I would have to check to make sure)....which I kind of just threw that date out since I knew that my LMP wasn't Feb 15th. With her guestomation (she seriously just picked a number....even prior to u/s).....,my due date would be Nov 20th....but with the measurements of 19 weeks and 4 days on June 24th, that puts my due date at Nov 13th or 14th.....but with going back from June 24 19 weeks and 4 days it would put me at conceiving Feb 7 which would make a due date (according to calculator) as Oct 31st...that is a HUGE difference!

So it makes me wonder if the measurements base it off of gestational age or fetal age??

Thanks for your help =)
As I search on the internet, I see that I am not the only that has noticed this. But that still doesn't answer the question =S
#15 of 20 Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I know this is a bit old, but I just read through the whole thing. What a dilemma! What have you figured out and settled on?
#16 of 20 Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to just go with U/S measurements. They should be pretty close. It is still not a for certain, but it helps pin it down a bit better =). And now when someone asks when I am due, I can actually give them a guess..lol. I am going with Nov 13...but I think I will probably be about a week early like normal. =)

But honestly I have been just too busy to even devote much thought to it all! lol Plus the more I think about it, the more confusing it got! lol

Thanks for checking in on me!
#17 of 20 Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I'm glad you've got it squared away. Were they able to tell the gender on that scan? Or did you even care to know?
#18 of 20 Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

even though I was technically far enough along to, the nurse was not well trained in telling gender....so she didn't want to say.. I think she was leaning towards boy....and that is kind of what the pic she took looked like to me as well...although prior to that my instincts were saying girl. I have been mentally preparing for a boy.....and if it turns out to be a girl, then I will just be pleasantly surprised =)
#19 of 20 Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Saw the question about fetal vs gestational age- just wanted to comment- with an ultrasound machine, when they get measurements and then the machine shows an age, it is the gestational age- like, from LMP, same as you would get from a wheel, or online calculators. I don't know when fetal age is used, I think it just exists as a concept. It is easy to get measurements wrong at that age- like, with head circumference, you have to have certain brain structures in view to know you are measuring at the right spot, etc. I guess it's nice to have a vague estimate, but even better that your body has already proven it knows when your babies are ready to come!
BlessedOne likes this.
#20 of 20 Old 08-18-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page