• 1 Post By mommielynda
  • 1 Post By Ratchet
  • 1 Post By Usually Curious

#1 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
advance maternal age...

How risky is advance maternal age in reality? I'm 35, pregnant with my 8th baby only 10 months after having twins. All vaginal births. My 5th baby, during pregnancy I was gestational diabetic controlled by pills and diet. I'm wanting to birth at home. We can't afford a midwife even on a payment plan. Is 35 really like a line that you step over into high risk? It can't be that definitive of a number.
RachaelsMommy likes this.
#2 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You know, I'm so curious about that too! I always wonder about the statistics. Like, when they say a woman has a one in 50 (or whatever) chance of having a Down Syndrome baby at a certain age- how are they guessing that? Like, is that how many are born before or after abortions take place because the women were told there's a defect? And if it's after, the statistic can't be perfectly accurate because we always hear how those tests are not 100% and healthy babies get aborted...

I would love to hear miscarriage statistics for women who never use birth control for all their fertile years! Like what percentage continue to conceive and for how long? What percentage miscarry before menopause vs those that don't??

I am totally and completely unhelpful when it comes to your question! Personally I don't think 35 is some magic cut off after which a woman is doomed, but only because I don't see that happening.

I'm also expecting my 8th. I'm 40 now and beginning to feel the fears creeping up.... Should I start preventing to avoid Down Syndrome? Is the risk really that high? And more than that, my real fears hover around miscarriage... I don't want to spend the last of my fertile years crying over dead babies! Or, do I just let it all go and continue trusting that God knows what He's doing and who He's sending us.

Ack, I don't know!

I do apologize for being so unhelpful. πŸ˜›
#3 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I think how healthy the mother is, is a HUGE factor. Sounds like both of you have been reasonably healthy. I would say both of you would be fine. Look at Michelle Duggar, she has had multiple healthy pregnancies between 35 and 40. And only one miscarriage (past 40) and one hard pregnancy.... in late 30s maybe early 40s. And if any ones body is "worn out", it would be hers! lol
I am 30, and don't use any hormonal birth control and don't plan to do anything drastic like surgeries no matter my age. But I have always been very healthy and plan to remain healthy. I know several people who have had babies past 35 and most of them didn't have any issues. I think the medical world makes a mountain out of a mole hill.
#4 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 03:40 PM

BlessedOne, I totally agree. 😊

However, Michelle Duggar's experience actually hugely feeds my fears. She had all those great, healthy pregnancies, *until* she got into her 40s! She was 43 when she had Josie suddenly at 25 weeks. Josie was in the NICU for at least 6 mos, and then Michelle's next pregnancy ended in baby Jubilee being stillborn at 18 weeks. Michelle didn't conceive again (unless she kept any miscarriages private..). What a sad and difficult ending to her fertile years! If I knew that's what would happen to me in my 40s I'd be much more likely to prevent!! But of course we cannot know...

But then contrast Michelle's experience with my aunt's- she never prevented and had 9 perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies, the last one at 46 yrs of age, and never a miscarriage! Wowwie!

We just never can tell !
#5 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did have a miscarriage 7 months ago. But that wasn't my first. But unfortunately, the last one was over 9 years ago.
#6 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My understanding is that age 35 was marked as "AMA" b/c it is when your risk of having a baby with a significant chromosomal abnormality is equal to your risk of having a miscarriage with an amniocentesis (1 out of 200). Thus it was considered acceptable to offer women an amnio or CVS ( diagnostic tests) without first doing blood work (ie quad screen, which is screening not diagnostic)if they are over 35. So, a) totally comparing apples to oranges and b) not entirely helpful anymore b/c amnios are safer now. It's just sort of a random cut-off for definitions. Your risk for diabetes, hypertension, miscarriage, chromosomal abnormalities increases from menarche to menopause, and there is no magic jump at 35. And the "1 in 200" statistic is based on live births, so would be higher if you counted the miscarriages and abortions due to the chromosomal issues. Don't be afraid of the number 35. You are not that different than 34.
#7 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I am not a uc'er but close to being a ama momma expecting baby number 7 about 3 1/2 months before I turn 35. So far there has been no mention of my age during my appointments. I suspect they will recommend additional testing if I have another one after this though.

I don't think 35 is a magical age. It does seem that some of my friends who have had many children and into their "older" years have had some complications with later babies, but they are the same sort of complications that I see in younger women with their first children too, so???

It has been awhile since I read on the issue but I seem to think that being a first time mom after 35 is actually more problematic than a woman who has already had children. Even then I am not sure it is a huge difference.

One thing that I did read about during my last pregnancy was the increasing risk of pp hemorrhage. I think that was related to being a grand multipara. So that may be something you would want to look into more. So far I have had no issues with it.
#8 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
A textbook I have sites research from the 80's, hook et all, with a risk for Down syndrome at age 20 as 1/1667 and at age 40 as 1/106, and risk for any chromosomal abnormality as 1/526 at age 20 and 1/65 at age 40. Again, live births. I imagine these are the numbers you would hear currently of you went to a genetic counselor.
#9 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
BlessedOne, I totally agree. 😊

However, Michelle Duggar's experience actually hugely feeds my fears. She had all those great, healthy pregnancies, *until* she got into her 40s! She was 43 when she had Josie suddenly at 25 weeks. Josie was in the NICU for at least 6 mos, and then Michelle's next pregnancy ended in baby Jubilee being stillborn at 18 weeks. Michelle didn't conceive again (unless she kept any miscarriages private..). What a sad and difficult ending to her fertile years! If I knew that's what would happen to me in my 40s I'd be much more likely to prevent!! But of course we cannot know...

But then contrast Michelle's experience with my aunt's- she never prevented and had 9 perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies, the last one at 46 yrs of age, and never a miscarriage! Wowwie!

We just never can tell !
oh ok, I was thinking that one of the last shows this season she said she was 42..or maybe 44.....maybe pg brain is kicking in..lol. maybe I misheard and it said when she had her last..lol. either way, I would *assume* that Jennifer and/or Jordyn might have been born in her 40s =)
#10 of 16 Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
oh ok, I was thinking that one of the last shows this season she said she was 42..or maybe 44.....maybe pg brain is kicking in..lol. maybe I misheard and it said when she had her last..lol. either way, I would *assume* that Jennifer and/or Jordyn might have been born in her 40s =)
You're totally right (again 😊), I think they both were. I hope it didn't sound like I was being snooty with all the details and "correcting" you or anything! I didn't mean it that way at all. Im kind of mildly obsessed with the Duggars and am super inspired by Michelle. She is one of the only women I "know" that never used birth control so I am fascinated by her experience. And I tend to go off on rambly tangents when it comes to this subject.

As you can tell. πŸ˜‹

On a side note, you can watch the brand new episodes on YouTube. 😊

Also, when I first commented I didn't realize this was in the UC forum! I just came across it on new posts and it doesn't tell me where a thread is located on my phone. I apologize for forum crashing. πŸ˜‹ I did have a planned UC with my 4th baby however..... πŸ˜‹
#11 of 16 Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM

loll... no problem.... we don't mind non-uc mamas as long as they are nice =D
I didn't take your comment as rude or snooty, I was just saying why I thought that..lol. we (my kids and I )are huge fans as well and watching their show is actually how we told the kids about our last pg. When they announced their 20th, we announced our 5th! Michelle and I was pregnant (she was a couple of weeks ahead of me) at the same time. Not that we have ever met, but it seemed like I felt closer to her. It was very devastating to me when I found out they lost Jubilee. I was actually out of the country at the time (so I found out about it the next week), it was very upsetting. The strange thing is while I was gone (during the same time she lost Jubilee) I started bleeding.... but I didn't even know anything about What happened with her yet. I had a sense that I was pg with twins the first 2 trimesters of my pg. I had wondered if I lost one, since I hadn't had a scan yet. Later at the scan (several months later) of course they didn't see anything that looked like another baby (but of course I never asked..but I figured they would mention that!) Either way everything was ok. And even though, it still seems to *me* like there was more than one baby, apparently there wasn't =S Boy I got off on a tangent..lol.
We only live a couple of hours from the Duggars and hope to meet them some day. =) Their family is an inspiration to us. =)

Back to the original post, my friend just miscarried at 9 weeks and she is in her early -mid 30s.....but I *think* she has had a lot of bc over the years..but I could be wrong.
#12 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Completely off topic- but I believe Michelle Duggar DID use birth control at one point. After her first, she went on the pill and got pregnant anyways. She then miscarried and always felt the pill was at fault. After that she never used birth control again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#13 of 16 Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxella View Post
Completely off topic- but I believe Michelle Duggar DID use birth control at one point. After her first, she went on the pill and got pregnant anyways. She then miscarried and always felt the pill was at fault. After that she never used birth control again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And continuing off topic... I also used birth control for a short period a couple years ago. It was a diaphragm and spermicide. I conceived anyway, and then suffered my first miscarriage! I will always wonder if the dumb spermicide messed the poor sperm all up and caused my miscarriage.
#14 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 PM

yes that is true about Michelle....although she used it WAY less than most woman. I don't know for sure but I think it was less than a year.

I did the same after my first birth, although thankfully didn't have a miscarriage. But since then I have never used hormonal birth control.
#15 of 16 Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
yes that is true about Michelle....although she used it WAY less than most woman. I don't know for sure but I think it was less than a year.

I did the same after my first birth, although thankfully didn't have a miscarriage. But since then I have never used hormonal birth control.
I'm not a UC mama either, but I am pregnant with my 8th child (10th pregnancy) and will be 43 this summer. This will be my fifth baby AMA.

It's just a number. Don't let a number instill you with fear. I don't do any testing because it doesn't change anything for me - I would never terminate for any reason.

I actually had my tubes tied (talk about birth control!) and had a reversal at 34.

I did have a miscarriage in January of this year and I'm pretty sure it was because of low progesterone. I used progesterone supplements this time because I couldn't bare the thought of easily conceiving and then having the baby die because of something preventable like low progesterone. I started my period really young, though, and they say that the younger you begin menstruating the younger you go through menopause. I think Kelly Bates has suppplemented with progesterone with at least her last pregnancy for the same reasons.

Blessings to you on your pregnancy!
#16 of 16 Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommielynda View Post
How risky is advance maternal age in reality? I'm 35, pregnant with my 8th baby only 10 months after having twins. All vaginal births. My 5th baby, during pregnancy I was gestational diabetic controlled by pills and diet. I'm wanting to birth at home. We can't afford a midwife even on a payment plan. Is 35 really like a line that you step over into high risk? It can't be that definitive of a number.
Hi,

I recently had #8, 4th planned UC, and I'm 41. All went well!

Take Care!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page