Mothering Forum banner

Do you get ultrasounds/bloodwork?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BlessedOne 
#1 ·
Sorry if this question seems stupid i am a newbie to this and i am trying to learn.

I experienced a missed abortion unfortunately but we are very hopeful and that it somehow happened for a reason. We plan on trying to conceive again next June.

I know for sure I want an at home water birth and I have been researching loads and I really would love to do UC...now what I am wondering ladies who have done it is : do you get prenatal care? Such as ultrasounds, bloodwork for genetic disorders etc or no?

#2 ·
Yes. I really enjoy midwifery prenatal care, but it is hard to get a midwife who will do prenatal care if you are planning a UC. I have also used a doctor before for prenatal care and just had an "oops" delivery. I felt like it was important to have blood work and things done so I could make informed decisions. I like to have an early ultrasound to confirm dates, but I don't really care too much to have a later ultrasound. Especially since we don't find out the gender and I think there would be too much temptation there for me to resist, lol. I have several friends though who have UP'd (unassisted pregnancy) and done their own care - things like checking fundal height and blood pressure are fairly simple - and outside of that just relied on being in tune enough to know if there was a problem. I also like the idea of having a relationship with a doctor or midwife in case I feel like there is a need to transfer. It's really up to you. There's no wrong way to do it.

#3 ·
I am pregnant with my 6th baby. My first was hospital birth, second was birthing center and the last 3 were uc homebirths and now I am planning my 4th UC.
I personally am not big into a lot of medical interaction....I didn't like it with my first and tried to deny what I could but the dr would threaten to drop me as a client and pretty much say no one would take me in his place. So I had to do a lot of the junk I didn't feel necessary. With my second, I denied most of the tests and enjoyed that. I only did the finger prick (due to my diet, the midwife wanted to test my nutrition levels) and she did a group b strep test....although I planned to decline it...but I didn't have the strong voice that I do now. I also did rhogam...but mainly because my hubby nagged me into it. I did vit k and pku after birth because it was the policy.
I am not a worrier, so testing for things is not needed for me....in most instances, knowing the test results doesn't change anything at that point anyway....I will keep the baby no matter what and in most instances, treatment cant take place until after birth anyway. Yes, there are a few instances were it could change the outcome....but not a lot.

I am genuinely a healthy person and haven't had many health issues...and definitely not anything major. Now that I UC, the only thing I do is an ultrasound towards the end of the pregnancy to make sure baby is in position and no cord around the neck.
I monitor my own weight gain and measurements if I feel it is needed. On occasion if I have the time, I check my blood pressure at the grocery store....but it is pretty much never high (or too low). My rule of thumb is that I can tell if something is wrong for the most part. The only time I did voluntary medical assistance was with my last pg. At about 34 weeks, I was having some major unexplainable back pain. At first I thought it was sciatic nerve pain.....but after a few days of not being able to move and the max amount of Tylenol that I could take while pg wasn't touching the pain, I finally went to the ER. They said I was dehydrated....but looking back I think I actually hurt my back moving boxes prior. Either way they didn't help me one bit...just charged me a grand to sit in a exam room and never see the dr. So all that did was just reassure me of how much I don't like the medical field =S

#4 ·
Sorry if this question seems stupid i am a newbie to this and i am trying to learn.

I experienced a missed abortion unfortunately but we are very hopeful and that it somehow happened for a reason. We plan on trying to conceive again next June.

I know for sure I want an at home water birth and I have been researching loads and I really would love to do UC...now what I am wondering ladies who have done it is : do you get prenatal care? Such as ultrasounds, bloodwork for genetic disorders etc or no?
Homebirther here, sorry to crash but I'm pro UC so I feel at home here too. I had checkups with my midwife but no u/s or bloodwork. Genetic testing is mainly for a certain high risk group anyway so that was never something offered, but my first was hospital with OB and there was some blood tests done on me for that one (std's, rubella titers, glucose tolerance, hemoglobin). My MW's did frequent hemoglobin finger prick tests unlike the one early draw I got at the OB. I basically know I get low hemoglobin in late pregnancy so Floradix is a must, test or no test. Urine testing can catch warning signs for Pre-e and GD, that's easy to do on your own or with a midwife. The ultrasounds have high false positives and I know they can catch some rare and serious problems that could need medical help immediately after birth but we felt at peace without them, also didn't mind not knowing the sex.

#6 ·
Sorry for your loss. I've done all the "norm" stuff with my other babies and each pregnancy I've declined more and more and finally just decided enough is enough and I shouldn't have to be threatened or guilt-tripped into declining things that I don't feel I or my baby "need" (risk vs benefit) and quite frankly stress me out and we know that a stressful mama = stressed baby. I've enjoyed this pregnancy more than any other thus far, if for nothing else, than that I'm doing things how I feel is right for me and my baby and not stressing over anything (keep in mind I'm health-minded and in good health so that is another reason I don't feel it's necessary for me and baby to have so many tests and procedures).

#7 ·

Well I think every UCer is unique. Just be cause you have a unassisted delivery dosent mean you also do your own prenatals (forgot their acronym)

I wanted to limit myself to 3 ultrasounds maximum.

I had first at 20 weeks
2nd was sort of an emergency
Have not had a third and hoping I don't have to.
To check baby's position I use Belly Mapping http://spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/belly-mapping

With bloodwork I'm not concerned with a maximum or minimum number of times.

So far Iv had blood work twice I think. Going for final bloodwork in a few days (I'm currently 36 weeks)

And Iv had two UTi checks at doctors office. Clear.

No Group B Strep testing. No glucose testing. Only routine blood pressure & weight.
All at doctors office.
So far so good.

#8 ·
I am interested to know where you live? I ask only b/c even at the midwife clinic I was told that there are certain tests I cannot decline due to regulations by the state that the midwife has to follow. The Group B step test was one and the glucose was another. Just like at the OB's office, if you decline those things you are dropped as a client. Period. I wish I could tailor my prenatal care. I wish it wasn't all or nothing. So frustrating. I'm glad other people don't have this "all or nothing" ultimatum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.