Mothering Forum banner

Going for unassisted...

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  BlessedOne 
#1 ·
The more I read about unassisted childbirth (at unassistedchildbirth.com so far, but I'd like to learn more about the specifics), the more I am convinced I could do this myself.

Honestly, I only started to consider it because I am stressing out about paying a midwife. It's so expensive! And I honestly don't know why even a midwife should be necessary.. I am having a very healthy, easy, uncomplicated and risk-free pregnancy, and both my family as well as JB's family have histories of healthy babies and easy births.

I do want to find information about how to handle different situations, such as recognizing how much blood is too much or deal with emergency situations.. But I just have so much faith that this baby is going to come out of me exactly as he should, safe and sound.

I'm posting here to get support, to find out tips from other mothers who have had quite a few births or who also did an unassisted birth.. Just things I should be aware of or have on hand, and positive words of encouragement would be quite nice.

I would love a completely natural home birth that I only share with my husband, an intimate experience between us and our first child.
I would also love to avoid having a large bill from the midwife ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to the UC forum! I am happy you are considering a UC birth! Congrats on your baby boy btw!!
I am currently pregnant with my 6th child. My first was hospital birth, second birth center and my 3rd- 5th were UC and this one will be UC. I wont get into everything on this post, as it is past 1am here, but I will revisit the thread and post more later.

My biggest suggestion is look up on the internet how to respond to all of the what ifs. I really think having the know how is very important..even if never used. I think it causes us to have even more faith in ourselves and takes away those fears. For my first UC, I printed them all off and had in them in a folder in my birthing box.

To specifically answer the amount of blood question....if you have a water birth it can be difficult to judge blood loss. The rule of thumb that I go by is, if I feel fine....then I am. If I feel faint or woosy (after birth)....then I should be on alert. I know there is more specific info out there but I wont get into all of that right now. =)

#3 ·
Thank you for the pleasant welcome! :)
I know there are quite a few women who would tell me not to do UC on my first baby, but there's something telling me that I have to do it.. It's like a rite of passage; a test from the universe of faith in myself and in the magic of life. I have been seeing a midwife and I've had two ultrasounds, so I have been assured that I am having a very healthy pregnancy and I honestly believe everything will be okay. I feel very safe in my decision (and I'm more resolved in it after sleeping on it and reading more information today).

I have read all the materials from this website: www.unassistedchildbirth.com
The woman who created the site has given birth to all four of her children without any medical/midwife assistance, and had a positive experience every time.. And now she's inspiring other women to do the same. I have also downloaded "The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth" by Laurie Annis Morgan so I can read it as well.

I definitely intend to do my research on all the "what ifs" (do you have any specific websites I should start at?) so that I am well prepared, and so JB can reference them if I'm not in my rational mind. I just have this overwhelming sense of faith and trust that everything will be okay; that this is what I'm meant to do. I also have no fears that anything would happen that we can't handle ourselves, especially since there's a hospital in town not too far from us just IN CASE I did become weak and woozy from loss of blood (but I don't expect that to happen).

I also need to do more research about the supplies I need.. I'm only aware that I want some sort of birthing tub, plus I read about needing a sanitized braided embroidery thread to tie off the cord, plus sanitized scissors to cut it and a rubber-band for after cutting...

#4 ·
Hello there. This is my 5th baby, but 1st UC. I think I got my list for supplies out of spiritual midwifery. You can google midwifery supplies, and order everything you need for a UC. I think I got everything for under $200.
I'm planning on taking alfalfa for the last 8 weeks of pregnancy to really beef up on Vit K, to help PP bleeding. And I highly recommend using EPO for the last 6-8 weeks vaginally. It softens everything up down there so your really stretchy and won't tear, plus it makes your cervix easier to dialate. (Shorter, more efficient labor)

I can't think right now of too many other tips.... oh yeah RRLT is awesome! I usually make a 2 quart pitcher everyday and drink it all.

Reactions: KatelynRose
#5 ·
@3lilchunklins thanks for the tips!! One question-- what is EPO?
I've been craving kale and pineapple smoothies all the time, and I noticed kale is PACKED with vitamin k when I was looking up its iron content, so I'll keep up drinking those delicious smoothies til the end, because that's a good point you made about vitamin K !! I need to get some red raspberry leaf tea, I haven't tried that yet.

I want to buy a couple of Ina May's books (including spiritual midwifery) as soon as we can spare a little money (our budget is extra tight right now, we are moving at the end of this month). I read this blog's birth guide and got an idea of a few of the supplies I need, and I downloaded Dr. Gregory White's "Emergency Birth Manual" which is quite informative.. Also I printed out a list of supplies from a local midwifery's website..
I started putting together a "birth folder" today ;)

Are you planning a water birth? I'm wondering if a large kiddie pool (one of the $40/$50 ones) would work instead of a "birthing tub" since it'd be much cheaper. I'm not sure our bathtub will be large enough... I do want the option of getting into water if it's possible, but it definitely adds more to the cost.

#6 ·
EPO is evening primrose oil. I got mine from walmart.

I am hoping for a water birth but we have a pretty big tub, so I'm not planning on any special tub or pool. But I have heard of lots if women using the kiddie pools

Reactions: KatelynRose
#8 ·
OH THANK YOU @3lilchunklins that is an excellent idea!! The library! Why don't I ever remember to use the library? Hahaha I did for so long and then I ran up late fees on a bunch of books because I got too many at once, and I haven't been back since I paid those off last summer.. But of course what a great idea! :thumb

#9 ·
sorry it took so long to get back to you....been a little busy..lol
I see you saw my response to someone else's post....hopefully that helps you out. =)
And in regards to braided embroidery thread...there are a lot of options...that is just what I use. Mainly because it is a project for the kids and I. Each of my kids pick a color of thread and we bread it together. It helps them be more involved and have a special connection to the baby before he/she is born. As stated in the list in the other post, you can buy clamps like the hospital use...but honestly I didn't like that plastic rubbing against my baby. Some people use a clean shoe string to tie off....that might be easier for you if you don't want to bother with the thread. There are other options online for clamps/tie offs on the internet, but honestly I haven't used any of them outside of the plastic clamp. Shoe strings and embroidery thread are simple to find and inexpensive. I personally found I spent way less on making my own kit than buying one....but I will say my kit didn't include the herbs....so that could be one of the main reasons.

To answer your question about websites that talk about what ifs. I would have to re-research what I looked up. Honestly, what I did was just do several google searches. =S

I like that you are in such faith...that is HUGE! Seriously that is going to help you SOOOO much. I was the same with my UCs and I believe it helped (especially when dealing with family or friends that think you are nuts!) Now I wont lie, with each UC (especially my first), there was a small window of time that I questioned my decision.....but at that point, I just had to give myself a pep talk and dig in deeper. Ucing is an amazing thing! Look forward to hear more about your journey through out your pregnancy and eventually delivery!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.