• 1 Post By Ratchet

#1 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Firs Time Mom UC --my plans

Hiya!
Husband and I are planning a UC for our first baby
We live abroad (KSA) and are not pleased with the hospitals within our price range nor the free hospitals. So you can also guess the fancy expensive private hospitals are also not accessible for us. Yet we are not UCing for finances alone.

Prior to even getting married I was planning to become a midwife and have always been researching and learning this topic.

Tools I Plan To Have:
Towels
Baby wipes
Puke bucket
Placenta bowl/bucket
DIY bedpan
Rubber bulb syringe (Probably won't use it but I feel like having it on hand)
Digital thermometer
Plastic shower curtain for bed or couch or wherever (bonus: I only have area rugs)
Old newspaper or chuks pads
Emergency "Cheat Sheet" (ambulances number, how to resuscitate, hemorrhage, etc)
Rubber gloves (in case of uterus coming out, gloves can quickly be thrown on and uterus replaced)
Antibiotic soap
Yoga Ball (if I can find it )
Hot Water Bottle
Frozen Water Bottles (DIY Ice Pack) in case I'm hot

Environment:
Lavender EO (hopefully) to drop in the bath if I choose to soak for a bit
Olive Oil with soaking frankiensese resin in it for belly
(Optional) Thunderstorm soundtrack (comforting for me)
(Optional) Low playing Quran from my favorite reciter

Aroma: Frankiensense
Lavender EO diffused if I'm "loosing it"

Food:
Cold Chamomile Tea (from the flower itself)
Cold Hibiscus Tea (from the flower)
Coconut water
Dates
Homemade Oatmeal Bars
Peppermint Leaves to chew (in case of nausea)
If I can not find coconut water I will use this basic labor-aid recipe minus the rescue remedy and mineral drops ( don't have it)
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-m...trolyte-drink/

For Baby:
Disposable Diaper
Outfit (for leaving the hospital only)
Blankets
Socks
Car seat (in our car)

The Plan:
After some quick bonding and loving with baby , We must call the ambulance to transport us to hospital post delivery to avoid any technicalities or obstacles in getting baby's birth certificate, as intentional home birth is frowned upon here (nobody knows if it's truly illegal or not).

Also we will NOT be cutting the umbilical cord but rather leaving this to the ambulance men to do. Also to avoid any technicalities or obstacles.

Books I Have Read/Prep:
Emergency Childbirth (minus the fold in half resuscitation method)
Spiritual Midwifery (with focus on manual section)
Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth
Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel
Business of Being Born (movie)
HomeoPathy for Pregnancy, Birth, and Baby's First Year
Tons of YouTube
Articles
Birth stories

Postpartum/Recovery:
Sitz Bath (Might use organic sea salt, Dead Sea bath salt, or epsom salt. Chamomile flowers included in bath)
Peri Bottle with 1 part benodine:100 parts water in case of stitches
Calendula Gel (in case of stitches)
Belly Binder
More Red Raspberry Leaf Tea & Dates Daily
Prenatal Vitamins
Sanitary napkins & Chuks pads for my bed (I hate blood on my bed and it always happens to me lol)

I am open to All tips and clips please ladies! Any quirky tricks your midwife mentioned or anything! Tips!!

I also have a birth outline written in case I do deliver in hospital. Let me know if you want to see it The hospital will mostly likely cast it aside but I still have it.

BTW: I'll be 36weeks tomorrow

Young Momma + Wife Baby #1 On His Way God Willing (9/11/2014)
Looking Forward To & & &

Last edited by TweedleZee; 08-12-2014 at 08:42 AM.
#2 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Have lots of pillows around to help you get comfortable while birthing. Do find that yoga ball when I had my second son it was the BEST place to sit (that may vary, I didn't like it with my third).Peppermint EO to put in the toilet then sit above in case you have trouble urinating is a good midwife trick (full bladder impedes progress and sometimes it is hard to go during later parts of birthing). I found arnica infused oil useful for swelling I had during pushing stage. I think uterine/pelvic organ prolapse during birth is rather rare, it's mostly something to watch out for postpartum if you overdo things, but gloves have many uses like if anybody besides yourself needs to touch for any reason. If they must reach inside, sterile gloves are needed (these come individually wrapped and cost more). If possible I would prefer a deelee trap over a bulb syringe if baby needed any suctioning. Make sure you learn neonatal resuscitation rather than infant, there are some differences. An herbal iron supplement (Floradix) helped me feel better taken immediately after birth. Also I drank lots of orange juice after each baby for several days, don't know why just craved it. And I had to snack very very often postpartum, have snacks and water handy at all times.

If you end up with a slow relaxed kind of labor as many first time moms do, don't limit yourself to the activities, foods, and drinks you have in mind for birth. Live your life closer to normally or treat it as a fun/restful vacation day until intense active labor sets in and you can't ignore it during the rests anymore.

Transferring after a birth you should be prepared to have it treated like an emergency, and they'll consider you and baby at extra risk because of the "unsanitary" conditions where you gave birth. (Nevermind that it's just the germs you're already used to and no MRSA and such like they have there). Probably they'll want to do antibiotics and/or extra time under observation. There's a chance you'll be treated as irresponsible as well. Just be confident and stick to the info you've decided to give them if you need to go.
#3 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Nvrmind

Last edited by 3lilchunklins; 08-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.
#4 of 11 Old 08-12-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Have lots of pillows around to help you get comfortable while birthing. Do find that yoga ball when I had my second son it was the BEST place to sit (that may vary, I didn't like it with my third).Peppermint EO to put in the toilet then sit above in case you have trouble urinating is a good midwife trick (full bladder impedes progress and sometimes it is hard to go during later parts of birthing). I found arnica infused oil useful for swelling I had during pushing stage. I think uterine/pelvic organ prolapse during birth is rather rare, it's mostly something to watch out for postpartum if you overdo things, but gloves have many uses like if anybody besides yourself needs to touch for any reason. If they must reach inside, sterile gloves are needed (these come individually wrapped and cost more). If possible I would prefer a deelee trap over a bulb syringe if baby needed any suctioning. Make sure you learn neonatal resuscitation rather than infant, there are some differences. An herbal iron supplement (Floradix) helped me feel better taken immediately after birth. Also I drank lots of orange juice after each baby for several days, don't know why just craved it. And I had to snack very very often postpartum, have snacks and water handy at all times.

If you end up with a slow relaxed kind of labor as many first time moms do, don't limit yourself to the activities, foods, and drinks you have in mind for birth. Live your life closer to normally or treat it as a fun/restful vacation day until intense active labor sets in and you can't ignore it during the rests anymore.

Transferring after a birth you should be prepared to have it treated like an emergency, and they'll consider you and baby at extra risk because of the "unsanitary" conditions where you gave birth. (Nevermind that it's just the germs you're already used to and no MRSA and such like they have there). Probably they'll want to do antibiotics and/or extra time under observation. There's a chance you'll be treated as irresponsible as well. Just be confident and stick to the info you've decided to give them if you need to go.
Thanks for your tips!!

I know about the peppermint EO trick for full bladder- but I dont have any

Im hoping that I might be able to find it in a local shop but I know it'll be poor quality here and ultra diluted. But I guess its okay since its going in the toilet and not on me as long as it has that intense aroma.

I was thinking if I absolutely couldn't find it, to try a few drops Tea Trea EO in the toilet for same stimulus effect. Yay or nay?

My resources in terms of EOs and herbs is so limited
#5 of 11 Old 08-14-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping for more suggestions

Young Momma + Wife Baby #1 On His Way God Willing (9/11/2014)
Looking Forward To & & &
#6 of 11 Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
wow what a great list! You sound so prepared! I am excited for you guys as you go on this journey! You list seems very thorough and I like that, I cant think of anything that I would add. Somewhere on this site, I have a list floating around too....I should probably re-find that at some point and actually save it to my computer...lol.
It is a pity that you have to transfer, but at least with planning it ahead of time, you can be prepared. =)
Keep us posted!
#7 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Rubber gloves (in case of uterus coming out, gloves can quickly be thrown on and uterus replaced)
You won't need rubber gloves for that. I'm pretty sure if you practice your kegels you'll be able to pull your uterus back in if it were to fall out. Just a suggestion, never too late or early to kegel.
Narmowen likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post
You won't need rubber gloves for that. I'm pretty sure if you practice your kegels you'll be able to pull your uterus back in if it were to fall out. Just a suggestion, never too late or early to kegel.
Wow never heard of that possibility cool! But I think ill keep my gloves anyway just in case anything happens where Id feel more comfortable with the person wearing them

Please everyone keep the feedback coming!!!
#9 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Prolapse-uterus dropping down- might be a kegel kind of thing (it's more of a chronic problem of a relaxed pelvic floor, rather than an acute problem), but I think what OP is referring to uterine inversion, more of a turning inside out, and is for sure an emergency. I agree with OP that it probably the only reason to have sterile gloves at a UP- you (or DH, etc) is essentially putting their fist inside your uterus. It's super rare, but if it's a layer of reassurance provided by simple sterile gloves being around, why not? I can't think of many other reasons people need to touch you internally, esp if you know you will have to go to the hospital afterwards
TweedleZee likes this.
#10 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would make a "hospital bag" for you and baby and have it in trunk that way it looks more like you really did go fast at home vs planned Good luck.
#11 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dueinsept14 View Post
I would make a "hospital bag" for you and baby and have it in trunk that way it looks more like you really did go fast at home vs planned Good luck.
Yup hospital bag is set

For that reason and in case I really need to transfer or if I change my mind totally on UC

Tags
diy , first time , Homebirth , middle east , unassisted

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page