Mothering Forum banner

Placenta birth

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  fwlady 
#1 ·
I feel pretty well prepared for my UC except for placenta time...
Can some mamas who've been there done that share some wisdom?
My other 4 births were at the hospital where the Dr likes to yank it out by the cord. So I have no idea what to expect with a natural after birth birth lol.
I hear sometimes it can take over an hour, but I honestly am nervous about this part...

#2 ·
Yikes! yank it out?!?!!? dude seriously that could cause some issues!!!!!

Afterbirth really isn't a deal...no different than birthing the baby...but easier.
My first two were super easy...one little push and it was done.
My last two took a little more work but still were easier than birth. The only thing I don't like is the continued contrax...but in reality with me at least, those have continued even after the after birth. Some as long as days (and primarily only when nursing).
I wouldn't be worried about it at all. Seriously not a deal. It will detach when ready and will be easily birthed =)

#3 ·
Everything I've been reading has me really nervous saying it can get stuck or this is the most dangerous time because of PPH... I try not to rely on anything mainstream so its mostly alternative midwifey type stuff I've been reading.

#4 ·
Nurse the baby or use nipple stimulation, get upright over a disposable pad and give a couple pushes and strong coughs after it separates (usually with a splash of blood). Odds are it will come just fine on its own, if you are concerned have a "placenta out" tincture available to get it moving should it be slow to come. All 3 of mine came in less than 10 minutes, exactly how long was hazy but I had barely met baby first and hadn't nursed yet. I think I kept holding the babies while they came in my homebirths.

#6 ·
Im planning first birth and first UC and I have to admit- this is one of two things which also makes me NERVOUS- Postpartum hemmorage :suckthumb

Anyway. Another trick I heard one mom used was making herself gag(finger down throat) and placenta came right out.

#7 ·
Not medical advice, but my experience -

I can't speak to outside the bathtub, but I brought baby to breast ASAP (nipple stimulation was the alternative). We expected placenta to detach easily. Angelica would have helped if it hadn't. Placenta was half-delivered and felt like it got "stuck" so I passed baby to my husband and got into a squat. Placenta delivered mid-squat and I placed it in a colander and basin until we were ready to cut the cord. I inspected it in the basin to make sure that there weren't any obvious broken pieces (like, "oh, hey, there's a large chunk missing from the placenta... we should check and make sure that nothing is retained!"). I massaged my belly every so often with arnica gel and used Afterease tincture by Wish Garden, which was recommended by a woman in my DDC.

I prepared for my birth by taking alfalfa tablets (Vitamin K for clotting) toward the end of my pregnancy as well as for quite a while afterward. (Baby is five weeks old.) I had shepherd's purse tincture on hand and drank white oak bark tea and RRL tea while in labor and while in the bathtub after birth. Your mileage may vary, but I remained in the bathtub for several hours after birth (taking care to keep baby warm/comfortable) and refreshed the water as needed. I had a FAR easier recovery with this baby than I had with my first, despite tearing significantly this time (I didn't realize it until several days later). I honestly believe that it was the time spent in the water after birth that aided in the healing - but again, just my opinion/experience. I have also heard (I think an Ina May or Gloria Lemay tip) that placing the lips around the lip of a narrow bottle, like a glass soda bottle, and blowing into the bottle will help dislodge the placenta - although I haven't tried it myself.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
With enough planning, depending on the laws of wherever you live, you could likely arrange for them to be shipped to you (or to a contact who could then ship them to you).

I used goldenseal root powder for cord care, and made it myself from goldenseal root. (Mostly because I like a challenge.) If you had enough time, you could probably make your own substances if you had access to the herbs. I think that you can also take alfalfa in tea form, and I vaguely remember stinging nettle (tea form) being similar in purpose (aid in clotting). It was more of a preventative for me, because I'll admit to being slightly concerned about hemorrhage as well (being one of the things that requires emergency aid as opposed to just a shrug).

#11 ·
I'm pretty sure GNC sells alfalfa pills. The blowing into a bottle, or even the gag trick sound funny but I guess its that whole "law of the sphyctures" (sp?)
Massaging arnica gel on the belly is a good idea, I hadn't even thought of that!

#13 ·
I have a lot of painful cramping for days after the birth. I know they say it gets worse after every birth cause it takes more work for your uterus to get itself back to normal size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.