Mothering Forum banner

is UC legal where I live?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  firmfoot 
#1 ·
Can anybody fill me in on the legalities of planned UC birth in Alberta Canada?
If you have links to government sites I would appreciate it, I cant seem to find anything on the subject.

I was planning a UC this time but happened to talk with a doula who said it is illegal here or something so I don't know if I should believe it or not.
I have three children, all hospital births and my hubby promised I could UC this time. All my labours were without complications. My last was a boy who was corkscrewed out by the doc because he had big shoulders but if I believe if I was able to go into my own labor positions I wouldv been able to do it myself too.

#3 ·
Yes, it's legal in AB. Perhaps what the doula meant is that it's illegal for a doula (or "traditional birth attendant", etc) to attend with the intention of performing any medical procedures or "licensed acts" including catching a baby. Otherwise, you are free to UC with whomever you would like to be present.

#4 ·
I'm sure she was worried about the legal issues for her, being the only professional anything at the birth, afraid she'd get in trouble for practicing medicine by being there. UC can cause suspicions if child services gets called since they operate in a subjective manner, but it is legal for you.

#5 ·
Thanks, that's a relief. I came across a link to a free birth group in alberta in someone's older post and they (the group) also said it isn't illegal. It is illegal not to seek medical help for your child should he/she need it.
I am now super exited for my 4th and first uc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.