Hi! Introduction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Introduction

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with baby #2 . Due in mid-January! I have a 17 month old son. With DS we planned to have him at a birth center, after 24 hours of labor they had us transfer to the hospital. I had been stuck at 7cm for 5 hours & was just getting exhausted, so I agreed to transfer. Overall it wasn't a horrible experience by any means; it was just not at all what we had wanted. DS was still born vaginally, but I did end up getting an epidural. & I wasn't very happy with how everyone (midwife included) managed everything constantly.

DH and I tend to be very private & reserved people. It takes me forever to really warm up to people & get comfortable with them. & that never happened with any of the midwives at the birth center & certainly not with the strangers at the hospital.

As soon as we found out that we were pregnant this time, we started weighing our options for birth & prenatal care. We interviewed a CPM for a homebirth, but we honestly couldn't afford it. & I wasn't sure if I would ever really be fully comfortable with her. Then DH suggested that we just do it ourselves & have a UC. He was totally serious, but I said no at first. I was thinking about other people and what they would think. I wasn't thinking about what we wanted for our family.

Earlier this week I was supposed to have a first appointment with an OB & have an anatomy scan. I drove over to the hospital, parked & went in. I wasn't sure where the office was, so I asked the person at the front desk; they told me where to go. I get to where she said & there is a sign saying that the offices moved over a year ago! I was so mad & frustrated. & at this point I would have been 25 minutes late. I tried to call & couldn't get through. So I just left. When I got home & DH suggested a UC again & this time it felt totally right! So we are now planning the birth of our baby boy exactly the way we want it to happen! I am so excited about it now, whereas I was dreading it a bit before we had decided on this plan. I truly believe that all of the things that prevented me from going to that appointment, happened for a reason & that this is what we are supposed to be doing. I know that God made my body to do this & all the intervention is just not good for me or baby.

I'm envisioning & hoping for a shorter labor this time (last time ended up being 33 hours). I'm quite confident that it will be shorter this time. I've been reading old threads on this board for the past few days & thought it was time I introduced myself. We don't plan on telling family or friends anything about our plans. No one would be supportive (they weren't even supportive of hb w/ a midwife). I'm looking forward to getting to know some other uc mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Welcome! And congrats on your pregnancy! If there is anything we can help you with, let us know =)
~Blessings
#3 of 4 Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm new on this board too. I'm due in about 4 weeks with baby #3 . Congratulations on your pregnancy and hoping the best for your birth!
#4 of 4 Old 09-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a newbie too. I also had that feeling of being SO frustrated with my OB (rude, dismissive and totally condescending) that when I finally decided that I was just going to do it myself there was a sense of calm that came over me. I haven't felt calm since the pregnancy test came up positive. I still have moments of anxiety but I think it's more nervous excitement as opposed to the unmitigated dread I was feeling. I was also thinking A LOT about "what people would think". Then I realized this isn't about other people. I am not doing anything that my body wasn't designed to do and everyone else can just ZIP IT. My husband and I are also very private people. I always say I have a very big "personal space". Childbirth in a hospital pretty much stomps all over your personal space. No thanks!!!

Are you doing your own prenatal care as well?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page