Group B Strep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Group B Strep

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but I could really do with some help/advice. I'm in the UK.

I've had two previous home births and two hospital births (1st and 4th). The two hospital births were not pleasant experiences and now that I'm close to having my 5th baby I really want to finish off with another homebirth. In my last pregnancy I tested positive for GBS. The midwifery team wouldn't support me to have a homebirth and insisted that I go to hospital where I could get IV antibiotics during labour. I'd had a difficult pregnancy with family issues, baby being breech etc. I didn't have the energy to fight on this matter so I went along with what they said.

This pregnancy I informed them of my intention to home birth and they were fine with it, provided I came back negative for GBS. Last week (at 34 weeks pg) they did a low vaginal swab, it's come back with scanty growth of GBS. The choice I have on my hands now is to either 1. go to the hospital again and fight not to have my labour augmented, continuous monitoring etc etc, 2. Insist that I am having a home birth and fight to get midwifery care or 3. Drop out of the system and UC.

I'm veering towards 3 because I have had to fight with health care professionals in every single pregnancy and I'm just so darn tired of it, I don't think I can face doing it again. DH is being fairly supportive but he is worried, and he's worried about the GBS.

I've been reading up on home remedies for it, such as douching with chlorhexidine, using garlic etc. I'm not keen on the thought of inserting a garlic clove, but I was wondering if maybe a capsule of garlic oil would have a similar effect?

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with GBS without antibiotics? Sorry for the essay length post!

me(33), DH (35), SAHM to DD (Jan '02), DS (Sept '08) DD2 (Nov '09) DD3 (June '12) (, mostly    MC Jan '09, Sept '11, ectopic Dec '13   due 10/09/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-07-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had 3 children and was positive for group b strep for all of them. With my first I got an IV before I knew what was happening(nobody really asked if I wanted it or not) and for my other two births I just informed them I don't want it and that was that. They got me to sign a paper saying they informed me of the risks and that was the end of it. I think the chances are so small (1 in 10,000 I think) that it's not worth the drugs and the hindrance of an IV attached to me. And I don't want them IVing my baby either.
Back in my moms birthing days they didn't even test for group b strep and all 9 of us are just fine.
#3 of 11 Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmfoot View Post
I think the chances are so small (1 in 10,000 I think) that it's not worth the drugs and the hindrance of an IV attached to me.
This is way, way, way off.

If you are GBS positive and don't use antibiotics, your risk of passing it to your baby is around 1 in 200.

If you do use antibiotics, it's 1 in 4,000.

Edit: Also, the idea of sticking garlic cloves (or anything else) in your vagina to prevent GBS transmission makes zero sense. Yes, garlic has anti-bacterial properties. Yes, it can kill GBS in a Petri dish. I wouldn't even be surprised if it can turn a positive swab into a negative.

The problem is that GBS lives in your GI tract and colonizes the genitals. Even if you temporarily get rid of it down there, it will recolonize.
#4 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok I guess I'm off it's been a while since I did the research.
#5 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My last two births I have been GBS+. One homebirth and one hospital birth. Hospital because there are no midwives where I am currently and I'm not comfortable personally with a UC, although I understand the desire.

I am also allergenic to penicillin and as such the treatment outcomes are lowered depending on the antibiotic used. Plus the treatment times are longer. Penicillin is 2 doses 4 hrs apart (8 hrs total) but most places are ok with just 4 after water has broken.

Non penicillin antibiotics are 8 or 12 hr doses after water has broken.

So I choose to treat GBS only on the "Risk Based Approach"... Basically I'll take IV antibiotics no questions asked if I go into labour before 37 weeks, if I have a fever or if my water breaks first with no signs of labour (or I have a long labour with broken waters).

In all three of my labours there would not have been enough time from water breaking to delivery for antibiotics. In my two positive births there wouldn't have been enough time from labour starting to delivery for antibiotics. Water broke both time while pushing. 20 mins before birth and 10 mins before birth.

Both times we monitored baby extra closely and have been fine both times. While I realize it's a serious disease, it's transmission rate is actually pretty rare and overuse of antibiotics also a huge issue.

So for myself with the lowered success rate of other antibiotics against GBS, my water breaking so close to delivery and my super short labours, we'd still be looking at closer monitoring after and most likely I would barely even have an IV started (they barely got the hep lock in in my most recent delivery) before baby was born.

I definitely don't advocate for skipping the antibiotics just because. I think being super informed and understanding the risks vs benefits is more important. And then having a super in depth informed consent chat with your care provider. Or in the case of UC, your birth partner and yourself.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35******

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#6 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I have never been positive (although only tested 3 of my 6 pgs). GBS can be quite serious. My nephew died at 9 hrs old due to my sis in law at the time refusing to have a c sect and either her refusing to take anti-biotics or the hospital not giving them (don't remember for certain). But I still don't let that scare me too much. Almost everyone I know has tested positive for it and many of the homebirth. There are natural remedies out there. When I delivered my friends baby (who was gbs +) the doula brought a wash that was to be used prior to birth. The baby was just fine. I have several other friends that used the same wash and it was all fine. I don't know the name of it, but I am sure you can google it.

Nedurak- most of your posts are very negative... I know myself (and I think most of the ladies in here would agree), don't need or want a bunch of negativity around. There is enough of that in the real world...we should keep it out of our forum.
#7 of 11 Old 09-09-2014, 11:25 PM

Just to add my two bits, but if you look up the hibiclens regimen it might give you more insight into what you can do instead of antibiotics during the birth. Things to avoid, especially once your water breaks, is any and all vaginal exams, as these can increase the chances of infecting the amniotic fluid and the baby. Having your water broken for more than 18 hours is linked to an increased risk, but again, this is more likely due to vaginal exams than actual duration. Good luck on your venture and hope that helps.
#8 of 11 Old 09-11-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I actually finally spoke to my midwife and she was quite supportive. They are going to allow me to be reswabbed (I was supposed to be swabbed at 36 weeks but my consultant ordered the swab at 34 weeks). I'm going in tomorrow for the repeat swab, tonight I've tried using hibicleanse so I guess I'll find out the results on Monday or Tuesday. Finally very nervous about the whole thing. Thank you for the replies.
#9 of 11 Old 09-12-2014, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
If the hibiclens works now, do it in early labor too- if your goal is not just to test negative, but to actually be negative when baby is getting exposed. The whole point with all GBS treatment is just to temporarily decrease the amount of bacteria, b/c it is a part of moms normal flora and is probably always there for you, and causing you no problems. Now, if all positive GBS moms need SOME form of treatment is a different topic and I don't feel I have a lot to add in that arena.
#10 of 11 Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
And, sucks GBS pos would risk you out of a home birth in your area. That's not what all midwives do.
#11 of 11 Old 09-12-2014, 01:08 PM

And this just showed up in my email today. Full of great info regarding gbs and treatment options.

http://www.mommypotamus.com/group-b-...eid=0e8b5cc150

User Tag List