Mothering Forum banner

Postpartum Healing

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bornoutofthematrix 
#1 ·
So being UP/UC means I never had a care provider before the birth. I did tear during the birth, but did not go in to get checked/get stitches. I had stitches with my first and felt that my recovery was awful. I had some healing protocols in place for postpartum that I feel have been fairly effective. My question is, for others who have had a freebirth and tears that were not stitched, how did you know when you had "healed"? When did you resume exercise (like yoga, not a marathon)? When did you resume sex? I am dealing with PPD and exercise is highly recommended; I know that for me in the past exercise has made a huge difference, but I don't want to damage myself by pushing things before it's time. Thanks!

#3 ·
I would assume that you would generally "feel" healed. Like, no more soreness, back to normal. You could always check with a mirror, if you wanted visual reassurance.
I had to get stitches with 2 of my births, and could tell things were on the mend when I could sit without being in pain, and just generally feeling better. So I'd guess it would be similar if you tore and didn't get stitches...

#4 · (Edited)
Healing

(Tried to reply yesterday and this wouldn't post for some reason, one more try.)

Fairly positive I tore a bit with this one, definitely not as badly as with DS2 though so I didn't get a mirror out and actually check. My bleeding was almost gone at 2 weeks so we tried sex then- not such a good idea. As far as exercise, I was able to squat down to get things out of the cupboards between 3 to 4 weeks without pain, just a bit uncomfortable still.

I do think healing without stitches felt easier.

#5 ·
I had a pretty significant tear with my first born, who was a UP/UC. Surprisingly I didn't have any burning or really much pain afterwards. Whereas with my second I didn't tear at all (probably bc I healed with the tear from my first still remaining "open" if that makes sense since I wasn't stitched) and had alot of pain after birth.

I did some mild exercise after a week or so when I felt up to it - nothing major, like maybe 10 minutes a day of planks and some pilates. That was about all I could muster since I was still bleeding and still healing, but enough to make me feel good. Once I stopped bleeding (2-3weeks) I started walking/running daily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.