Mothering Forum banner

placenta placement

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  firmfoot 
#1 ·
I was at my prenatal dr. for a one time visit but now she has called me and is persuading me to go for an ultrasound to determine placenta placement. I didn't want to have any ultrasounds this time and am now struggling with the scare of placenta previa.
Has anyone else had experience with this?
how likely is placenta previa?
Can you tell without an ultrasound where the placenta is? I know for a fact its not anterior because I can feel baby kicking at 17 weeks.
I really don't want to go for the ultrasound.

#2 ·
If your plan was always not to have ultrasounds (and you didn't previously have a concern about PP) and the Dr's request is the only reason, did she give any information as to why she wants you to do it?

It seems to me that if it is just routine on her part and as a Dr, she is more comfortable with her mothers doing that, then you are in the same place you were before... there is no reason to do it unless you already had concerns about PP.

But, if she tells you that she noticed something in her single examination of you, then I would want to know more about that and why she is saying that now. Or if blood tests somehow showed something that she knows can be related to PP.

I am sorry that I don't know much about positioning of placentas at 17 weeks, but I have come across online sites that teach you where your babies' positioning is (one that springs to mind is "spinning babies"), and there might be a starting point there directing you to a self-assessment for positioning and the placenta.

Have you considered asking a midwife?

#3 ·
There are no midwives in my area unfortunately. I think it's just routine for the Dr.
Her reasons were that IF it was in the wrong place it would mean delivery by csection. But I researched it and the placenta can migrate at this stage. It is later on that it stays in a fixed location so her concern for an ultrasound at this time for the reason she is giving doesn't make much sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.