Mothering Forum banner

20 weeks - First pregnancy - Planning UC and need support!

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  MyMotheringPath 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I'm so thankful to have found this forum. After interviewing midwives and not really 'clicking' with any, my husband and I have finally decided to plan on having a UC.

In my heart, I knew that this is what I wanted all along, but I had too many fears about bleeding to death or my baby suffocating. After reading many books and articles, it's become clear that that is so unlikely that I may as well not worry about it.

I have the book The Unassisted Baby, and have been reading up on what I need for prenatal care (we have not had any professional medical care done yet during this pregnancy) as well as how to prep for labor/birth/post-labor at home. Any other recommendations would be well loved.

I'm also wondering if anyone here is planning on having their first child unassisted or if you did have your first unassisted. I see that many mammas on here have done UC after at least one assisted birth, which I think is beautiful, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect for a first time mamma as well (or just give me something positive to read!).

Thank you all! Much love, grace and peace!

See less See more
#3 ·
If you haven't found them already, go to indiebirth.com and take their 5-week online course. They also have great podcasts and articles and birth stories. They have been an invaluable resource for me. Seriously, they have a TON of info on almost any topic you could want to learn about!

You are so blessed to have found the path to the birth scenario you really want the first time out. I wish so much that we had found this before our first birth. We almost went unassisted the second time because I did not want to ride in the car (haha!) but we didn't. So I can't give you first hand ideas on approaching it as a first time mom, but I know there are several women on the private Indie Birth facebook group for those who take their course who had their first unassisted and had amazing experiences. One of them put her story on her blog here: http://www.sacredjourneybirth.net/blog/2016/5/8/the-freebirth-of-maya-maizie
Hope it encourages you!

#4 ·
If you are on facebook there are 2 unassisted groups on there. The one I am a member of is very active and has a lot of people that did first birth UC. I have had 2 UC's and am planning my 3rd in Sep, but had 2 births before going UC. Knowledge is power! I read and research everything I can. You can't know too much :)

Reactions: EllieD
#7 ·
I've had 3 UC's in two different states but only after having 4 deliveries in a hospital. As desertgirl351 said, research as much as you can. I printed out a copy of the Emergency Childbirth manual by Dr. Gregory J. White https:// theperfectbirth.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/gregorywhite.pdf (make sure the link doesn't have any spaces) and joined groups like this and read, read, read. I read up about the Gaskin maneuver (just Google it) and read everything on Laura Shandley's site about freebirth (unassistedchildbirth.com). If you have any questions, feel free to pm me! I wish you a wonderful birth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.