Mothering Forum banner

UC birth story!

6K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  grassisgreener1334 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to share my story to give back to all the courageous women out there who shared their story, and gave me the courage and understanding for my decision to do a free birth - aka unassisted childbirth (UC).

We made the decision to go UC when I could not find a decent (in my opinion) home birth midwife in my area. I had 3 children prior, 2 of which were born at home with a midwife.

(This time since I had moved to a different area, I had to find a new midwife.)

After reading some birth stories, and seeing some amazing videos put together by Laura Shanley, and some encouraging emails with her, I decided it seriously contemplate a UC.

By month 4, and I had decided on UC, and my husband went along since I told him I felt secure and confident in my decision.

One evening in my 39th week, I saw red staining on my toilet tissue. Several hours later around bed time I saw more red coloured discharge.
I probably should have been smart and tried to get a good nights sleep, but I stayed up till about 3 am reading after my older 3 kids had gone to bed.

I woke up at around 6 ish with mild contactions, but didn't think that much into it since in my 9th month I had randomly gotten mild, even semi painful contactions when I would be on my feet too long, lacking sleep, or didn't eat/drink properly.

I decided to shut off my alarm which was set for 7 am and not worry about getting my older 2 kids to school on time that day.

I woke up again at around 8 am, since my contractions were too intense to ignore.

At this point I needed my big kids in school and together with my husband got them ready and out. I also took out my crock pot and threw in some dinner, all in between contractions. I stopped and did a little wince and wiggle while gripping the counter with every contraction. I also managed to get the kitchen straightened and dishes washed.

Next I got my pre-schooler dressed, packed her a snack and sent my husband out with her to private a babysitter.
By this point it was past 10:30, closer to 11.

I got all my supplies ready, and went to labour in my bedroom with a prayer book.

I prayed and cried and prayed some more. (My husband ran to do some last minute errands since I told him I wanted to labour alone, and would call him when I needed him)

At 11:30 my contractions were every 3-4 mins. I prayed and spoke to God through the entire thing.
At 11:53 my water broke with a heavy contraction.
I had a small bottle of olive oil for lubrication, and right before I felt the baby crowning I poured a whole bunch on.
As the baby crowned I felt something telling me to push, so I went with it and pushed. Being honest, seeing the head come out was a weird experience. It was black and blue and I wasn't sure where to hold it, or what exactly I was looking at, but I put my hand underneath it somewhat.
Immediately as I finished with the first push, again I heard something inside telling me to push one more time, and I did.
I gave one more big push, (no idea where all this strength came from) and out came the rest of the baby. It actually felt more like it slithered out.
I remember holding the head as the butt kinda hit the bed, but I don't even recall exactly what transpired next or where my hands were, but with in seconds i was holding a pink, no longer blueish blackish, crying baby by my chest.
My phone read 12:08 PM.
The first thing I did was grab some towels to cover us. The cord was somewhere between my feet, and the baby was cradled in my left hand. A quick glance confirmed that we were blessed with a baby girl.
I thanked God, prayed for an abundance of breast milk, and put her by my left breast to nurse.
Then I called my husband to let him know.
At that point I was feeling very weak and filthy. I was also having painful contractions, and I couldn't really move much.
When my husband came he cut the cord while I held the baby.
I swaddled her next to me on the bed and told him to take her.
When he took her, I started to worry about the placenta. (At this point a good half hour plus had already passed) I didn't feel anymore contractions or any urge to push. But I gave a push anyhow, and out poped the placenta as if it had been sitting right at the end waiting to be pushed out. It was the least painful placenta delivery I had ever had. (I had a slight burning discomfort sensation around my vulva but no other pain.)

Then I managed to take a clean chuck, hold it between my feet and waddled to the bathroom to shower. After showering, and changing, I stripped the sheets to add to the laundry, and discarded the plastic bed cover. Underneath was a made bed sheet which I had prepared a few weeks prior.

Then we weighed the little one with a luggage scale we bought from Walmart for about 7 dollars. Then I got back into bed with her.

At that point the adrenaline started to wear off and the exhaustion set in. I pretty much stayed in bed and did my best to rest up as much as possible.

The following evening I measured her.

And that's pretty much my birth story, minus some irrelevant details.

I feel so greatful to the Almighty, and really feel like He was with me every step of the way.

I know UC is a very personal choice and it is NOT for everyone. It takes a lot of confidence and self awareness. I knew that the best place for me to deliver was my bed. I would be too worried anywhere else about not being able to catch the baby properly.

I was propped up with pillows (Google 'husband pillow' - a must have!) And felt the most secure in my bed vs. the tub, the floor or anywhere else.

Please listen to your own gut feelings and choose what feels best to YOU. No fear is too irrational or silly.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.