Essential reading for UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can we generate a list of resources, print and/or on-line, for UC? I for one would love a list of books UC-ers have found essential reading.

Maybe if we list our faves here, we can convince a moderator to make it a sticky?....

Kim

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#2 of 18 Old 01-17-2005, 12:30 AM

Haven't UCd yet, but here's what I have or what is on my list to read:

Unassisted Homebirth: An Act of Love
Unassisted Childbirth
Spiritual Midwifery
Emergency Childbirth
Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year

Also important, but not in book form (that I know of?):

http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/preg...reechhome.html

http://www.breechbabies.com/contents.htm
#3 of 18 Old 01-17-2005, 09:04 PM

The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth by Laurie Morgan was good too.
#4 of 18 Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 AM

Prenatal Yoga & Natural Birth, Jeannine Parvati Baker
#5 of 18 Old 01-18-2005, 03:33 AM

Special Delivery, Rahima Baldwin. Basically a midwifery textbook, about half really annoying and outdated, and half very informational. I still use it as a reference for some things.

Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May Gaskin. Don't care at all for her approach to birth, but I loved the stories. It's all I wanted to read in the last month before my first UC.

Birth as an American Rite of Passage, Robbie Davis-Floyd. Mostly about how screwy institutionalized birth is, but a great chapter at the end -- "Birth as the Biodance" -- that talks about the importance of the existence of the wholistic extremes, including unassisted birth.

The Scientification of Love, Michel Odent MD. Theorizing on why birth has been ritually disturbed throughout history, how this serves aggressive societies, and how it can be harmful to the individual.

Ecstatic Birth: The Hormonal Blueprint of Labor, Sarah Buckley. The science illustrating the importance of undisturbed birth.

The CBirth UC Videotape. Nine unassisted births, really beautiful and inspiring, and oh so different from your average professional-assisted birth. You probably have to be a member of the yahoogroups elist c-birth to access this page.

Psalm & Zoya--The Unassisted Homebirth of Our Twins. This is my favorite birth video ever. Just amazing.
#6 of 18 Old 01-18-2005, 03:21 PM

Laura Shanley's website Bornfree! has lots of good articles/essays on it written by her.

Unassisted Birth, Free Birth, Jana Kutarna, excellent essay on her philosophy of unassisted birth

Maia’s Birth - a family celebration, by Sarah Buckley who also wrote the Ecstatic Birth article listed above

Birth, Sexuality, and Orgasm, Michel Odent MD, on the hormonal process of birth, and what interferes with it

Birth and the Origins of Violence, Michel Odent MD

Magical Child, Joseph Chilton Pearce. Okay, so he sometimes spirals out of control into the fringes of the weird and questionable, but some of it he is right on about, especially his ideas on the importance of acting in harmony with the natural matrix. This definitely influenced my philosophy of birth.

Reclaiming Birth for Our Daughters, Lesley Smith, unassisted birth is not mentioned, but it certainly applies.

Here are a couple of threads in which I've pretty much summarized my own UC philosophy, and are just generally good food for thought:

"UCers, wanna share your point of view?" (from MDC forums)

"Thoughts on UC" (from the Midwifery Today forums, NOTE: please do not reply to this thread. For one thing, it is really old and would probably be received oddly, if not perceived as trolling. But more importantly, it's against MDC rules (Violation: "Posting to invite members to other boards for debate purposes. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.") and I'd prefer not to have this post removed and have to type everything all over again. )
#7 of 18 Old 01-19-2005, 01:03 AM

"Emergency Childbirth, a manual" Dr. White.
Although, it should be renamed to just "Childbirth, a manual". Emergency sounds too dramatic.
Now, if only someone could write a manual for toddlers...

ooops...already listed...sorry!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#8 of 18 Old 01-22-2005, 07:05 PM

what about hygeia halfmoon's books? i read "primal mothering in a modern world". that was a nice one. oh, and i haven't made it through it yet, but oh, gosh, blueviolet, i know you'll remember the name, it's the one about birth traditions from around the world? sorry, the name escapes me right now.

i really really really liked "active birth". as a 1st timer, it explains some stuff intellectually about birth, which helped get my mind out of the way to enjoy the intuitive side of pg, and soon birth. i'm also having dh read atleast the chapter on labor & birth since he'll be there for at least part of the process if not all. it goes into different positions and what they offer, and other things that he may enjoy knowing like tips for how to hold his body while holding me in standing squat, etc.

henci goer's book, thinking woman's guide to better birth...this may be good to help make the decision to uc, and explain to others why the decision to uc seems safer. it's a little too hospital/medical for me, but i'm still wading through some of it, just in case/just out of curiosity.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#9 of 18 Old 01-22-2005, 10:39 PM

Thought of another for you.. The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness by Aviva Romm.
#10 of 18 Old 01-24-2005, 02:39 PM

I just read a book called Childbirth Wisdom: From the World's Oldest Societies by Judith Goldsmith. Is that the one you're talking about, sprinklepocket?
It is pretty good, and discusses "traditional" societies from around the world and how they view/treat pregnancy, birth and newborns. I enjoyed it.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#11 of 18 Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 PM

yes, thank you. that was the one i was thinking of.

today i was re-reading through avila romm's book 'natural pregnancy'. she referred to jeanneane parvati as her mentor and seems to have a very birthing mom centered approach. lots of info for someone doing up. it's a book i like, but someone who's been pregnant and birthed before mayn't.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
#12 of 18 Old 01-26-2005, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

This is turning out to be such a great list for me, and I hope for others, too!

I just got my Emergency Childbirth manual, and I love its simplicity. I would like to check out Ecstatic Birth, too.

blueviolet, you are so full of resources, and your web sites are just beautiful!

Kim

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#13 of 18 Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Leilah McCracken's "Resexualizing Childbirth" changed all my views on birth - it even helped to convince my dh on my decision to freebirth. Her site is below:

http://www.birthlove.com/
#14 of 18 Old 02-21-2005, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone-

Check out the new sticky in this forum! I am willing to compile the resources mentioned here in the thread and post them there if that's OK with everyone. I'll email raven and see if that's within the mothering.com protocol... Let me know if you have any objections. Or additions!

rural mama to DD1 DD2
#15 of 18 Old 02-21-2005, 10:49 AM

When did the birthlove site become so expensive to join? I remember when she went over to it being a paid site you could chose how long you wanted you rmemebership and there were different prices. im sad to see such a wonderful, informational website costing so much to join *sigh*
#16 of 18 Old 02-23-2005, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

hey mamas -

I compiled what I could from this thread (almost everything except links without urls) and posted it on the sticky, with a direct link to this here thread. Please take a look at it and see if I need to make any huge corrections, additions or deletions. I added Heart and Hands, by Elizabeth Davis.

Thank you!!

Kim

rural mama to DD1 DD2
#17 of 18 Old 12-04-2008, 08:58 PM

My contributions:

Emergency Childbirth Manual (free)

Ina Mae's Guide To Childbirth
#18 of 18 Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM

http://www.hesperian.org/publication...d_midwives.php

I also have some resources for newborn assessment in PDF and Word .. if only I could figure out to post them to a webpage.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page