ticked off - small vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know everyone here has no doubt heard all the usual stuff about why UC is "terrible" but it annoys me that with the shortage of MWs for HB that we have in some parts of Australia that UC is depicted by some birth professionals as *just* women unable to access midwifery care. I think there may be some women who are pushed to make a choice between hospital or UC if no MWs are around but why can't it be seen as an empowered choice rather than a reaction against something?! Am I getting my point across? Women are choosing UC for positive reasons like their belief in their bodies and their innate capability to birth not just because they can't get health care.
Maybe I'm just grumpy tonight!
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Janet -- I can totally understand where you're coming from. When I first brought up to my mw that I wanted uc, she was shocked since I was a first time mama. In fact, she said specifically that everyone she knew who had gone the uc route did it in reaction to a bad medical experience. She couldn't understand why me (with NO experience) would want uc, when I'd had nothing but a good experience with her. For me, choosing uc was due to a belief in my innate abilities to give birth (just as you said) but this was hard to convey to her and I think very hard for her not to take personally.
Anyway, wanted to let you know that I can really relate to your post...

computergeek2.gif  Spirit Baby Intuitive (and really cool chick)

Old 02-04-2005, 07:53 PM

Hey Janet!

That is my beef too at the moment! I am currently in discussion with someone that seems to have in mind that unassisted birth is only because a woman has no other choice and so thus, it is a very sad place for a woman to find herself in *sigh* I'm not sure if this person is getting my point that I am speaking of a woman who chooses unassisted birth because she WANTS that freedom, that complete access to her birthing ability even if she has many other wonderful birth options available, UC is ultimately the best one for her, and she chose it!

And now this person says that a woman can't birth to the best of her ability without a trusted midwife there because when she enteres the intense part of birth, if she cant surrender to the force of her baby coming out whether she wants it to or not, then there would be problems and fight/flight responses etc. I understand what this person is saying BUT!!!! what she is saying is typical of a woman who doesn't have a complete, true trust in birth and her own abilities, not to mention a deep understanding of what is happening. I believe with all my heart that UC'ers that choose to UC, they are able to birth way above their ability because they go so deep to be able to do so!

*sigh*
Old 02-04-2005, 07:59 PM

I applaud any woman who believes in her body and chooses UC first. So how do we explain to people that this is a proactive choice and not reactionary?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a bit of a barrage of "but you got a healthy baby" comments around me atm and I think it's adding to my ill humour!
Cheers,

J

User Tag List