leaking/gushing waters - tell me not to worry! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My water broke this morning (YAY!!!!!!!!!!!), but the baby keeps moving and letting fluid gush. I normally don't go into active labor for a good 24-36 hours after a spontaneous rupture (I've had this happen twice before), so I know this little one needs to stay safe & healthy in there for a while longer.
Tell me it's okay for my fluids to gush periodically! It usually happens when I stand up, lay on my side, or use the toilet. The fluid is a nice clear color, lots of milky vernix coming out, and the baby is still quite active, especially when I ask hir to move, so I know the baby is just fine.
Should I be doing anything other than go about my day, making sure I drink plenty of water to keep the fluids replenished? Any other things I might be on the lookout for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations -- this is it!

The only thing I would recommend is to keep an eye out for a fever. Stay home. Don't let anyone put their hands inside you.

But you already knew that anyway. Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Oh, much luck to you and your family!! How exciting

Yup, lots of fluids, and keep an eye on fever. Pamamidwife had a protocol somewhere for what to do for "extended" ruptured membranes. I'll look for it and see if I can find it
Old 02-12-2005, 07:14 PM

Okay, I found it!! I tried searching, but couldn't find it , but then remembered that I had saved it to word. This is copywrite of pamamidwife

hth some,
Amy

Pre-Labor (or Prolonged) Rupture of Membranes

Any rupture of the membranes (water bag) constitutes the general distinction of ?labor?. While you may or may not be contracting, the simple fact that your membranes are ruptured dictates a change in daily hygiene routine and supplementation. The bag of water provides more than a cushion for baby ? it also serves as a barrier from bacteria and infection. Prelabor (meaning no uterine contractions present) rupture of membranes occurs in about 6-19% of all term pregnancies. Epidemiological data shows that about 86% of all women with prelabor rupture of membranes go into spontaneous (not induced) labor within 24 hours of their water breaking. Only 6% of the remaining go longer than 96 hours without any sign of labor starting.

Some membranes rupture high up in the uterus. This is called a ?hind leak?. Typically, water will come out slowly, perhaps gush once and trickle here and there. Hind leaks may be caused from baby?s foot breaking the bag, or a positional change. As there are two layers of the membranes (the amnion and the chorion), sometimes leaking may be caused from the outer layer of the bag (the chorion) breaking. In both cases with a hind leak and a leak from the chorion breaking, there is a good chance of the bag ?resealing? itself with cessation of any sort of leak.

A ?full leak? is a break in the lower part of the uterus, particularly over the cervix. This sort of leak rarely re-seals. While it may be difficult to know what type of rupture has occurred, the following guidelines should be followed any time there is suspicion or confirmation of a rupture.

Currently, the medical literature shows that expectant management (waiting until labor starts with the following guidelines) is an effective and safe course of action, provided NO VAGINAL EXAMS ARE DONE. Of course, you do have the right to choose to be induced in the hospital at any point during this prelabor period. However, by being in your own home, you already are much more protected from bacterial infection than if you were in a hospital (the overall infection rate is four times higher in a hospital, hence the need for more rigorous antibiotic regimes). The bacteria present in your home are bacteria that your body is familiar with and acclimated to.

? Absolutely, positively, NOTHING in the vagina. No fingers, tampons, penis, oral-genital contact, etc.

? Drink plenty of water to help replenish amniotic fluid ? at least 64oz of water a day

? Wear something loose-fitting with no panties when you can

? If you are leaking and need something for sitting, use clean towels fresh out of a hot dryer

? Take your temperature every 4 hours while you are awake (record on a sheet of paper).

? Take 250mg Vitamin C every 3-4 hours while you are awake

? Eat foods that are unconstipating and easy to digest

? Be meticulous about toileting (wipe front to back, clean toilet tissue, etc.)

? After showers, use a clean towel fresh out of a hot dryer or oven to dry your vulva

? Do fetal movement counts twice a day after eating (looking for 10 movements in an hour)

? Notice any change (color, odor) to the fluid and report results to your midwife immediately

? After a full 24 hours since rupture, the addition of Oregon Grape Root and Echinacea tinctures to your daily supplementation regimen is recommended. Take a dropperful of each tincture four times a day.

? REST, REST, REST, REST
Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 PM

Oooh Stell!! Congrats!! Let us know when labor starts
Old 02-12-2005, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for posting that, Amy! It sounds like I'm doing everything "right" - phew!
Still no labor yet - probably won't kick in until sometime tomorrow. I'll just be looking forward to a good night's sleep
Old 02-12-2005, 11:36 PM

Wanted to just add that the baby can remake the entire fluid volume in about 3 hours, so even if lots is gushing out, there is always more as long as you (and by extension, the baby) are well-hydrated. If the head is not tight to the cervix when the membranes rupture, you generally get lots of little gushes everytime you move.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 PM

Congrats! Keep us posted!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 AM

Oh, yay!!! I am thinking of you and the sweet babe!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

HE'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our new little boy was born after 1 hour of pretty much back-to-back contractions It was so fast, I couldn't believe it! I started pushing just because I felt like I had to poop, but the contraction was so intense, and I wasn't getting any breaks in between, I didn't want to get up & go in the bathroom. So I figured I'd poop on my chux pad, and deal with it that way......only, when I started to push, I felt the baby moving down!
My kids were all here at the time - waiting for grandma to come get them, as a matter of fact! Ian (my 12yo) was standing in the doorway as I was pushing the baby out, so he got to see his new baby brother be born - a first for him! Davey (my 2yo) saw the birth, too. Jason said that he came in as the baby was crowning, and said "he's okay", and then just stood there and watched. And he was right - it was a he, and he was definitely okay
He did a bit of grunty breathing when he was getting started, and gradually grunted up plenty of thin, clear mucus, and it took maybe 10-15 minutes for his feet to pink up, but now he's breathing great, his color is excellent, and he nurses like there's no tomorrow.

Still no name or weight, and we haven't cut his cord yet. I'm feeling great, although the afterpains are just as intense as some of my more "take notice" pre-labor contractions. I'll get pictures up tomorrow, if I can get this little boob-sucker to let go long enough!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:46 AM

CONGRATS!!!!

Wow, that sounds like a dream! And right during the Chinese New Year, good timing. A rooster baby

Cannot wait to see pics

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Stell! Congratulations! I am all teary for you. Welcome earthside sweet baby boy! I can't wait to see pictures.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 02-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Congratulations!! What brilliant timing, too: I just finished reading everyone else's birth stories! Looking fwd to pics!

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Yay! I read that your waters had broken yesterday. That was much quicker than I thought it would be.

Congratulations!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Stell-Welcome to your new baby boy! What a fast labor. Wishing you a peaceful babymoon.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Wow! Congratulations, Stell! Fast and furious, huh? Enjoy your babymoon, and welcome baby boy!

Kinsey
Old 02-13-2005, 05:27 PM

congrats! sound like you had a great birth experience!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Congrats! I just came on line to check up you! I didn't think you would have had baby yet.

I am so excited for you!!! I am glad your birth was so beautiful!

Looking forward to pics!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 PM

Congrats!!!

Yes, that was much faster that I anticipated.

YEAH!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Congratulations on the baby boy and a wonderful birth!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:18 AM

Much congratulations!!!!!! Rest up and enjoy your babymoon
Old 02-14-2005, 04:46 AM

yay! congrats!
Old 02-14-2005, 04:59 AM

Congratulations
(trying to patiently wait my turn here)
Let us know when you name him!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh, wonderful!, Congratulations!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to put together a webpage birth announcement for him today, but it's not been working out like I want it! So instead, here's a picture:
Robert Kenneth Evans aka: Baby Bobby Boo
Old 02-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Congratulations Stell!! He is beautiful!! Rest well and enjoy your babymoon. Welcome earthside Baby Bobby Boo
Old 02-14-2005, 05:48 PM

Awwww he's so squishy and cuddly looking. I just want to pick him up!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:56 PM

congrats!! welcome earthside little one. he looks so grown up already, and sooo beautiful. thanks for sharing the story and picture. does the heart good.

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh
Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! He is so beautiful! I want to kiss him and smoosh his cheeks. Makes me want another...

(And my baby is only 6 months old!)
Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 PM

He is so adorable!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

User Tag List