Possible last minute UC... need advice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay... so I am not totally sure what's going on yet, but in my state we are having issues with the midwifery laws. I was/am planning a homebirth with a mw, but she found out just a few days ago that there is a bill in our state making it illegal. (It's a big mess, so I won't go into all that now.) My point is, that she may not be comfortable attending the delivery for me. Considering that my "due date" is tomorrow, well today really (14th) I don't have a lot of time. If I do end up going UC I am totally comfortable with laboring and delivering on my own. The one part I am not totally comfortable with is the herbal/supplement/ect. part. With my last birth (with this same mw) she used different herbal/vitamin supplements for various things that I felt were very useful. I just feel that I am not at all educated enough to know what to use when... Do you use supplements in labor? Also what about a fetascope or doppler? I don't have anything like this. I am just wondering how much "stuff" you use and what you suggest. I am confident that all will go well and we will be fine... it's just so late in the game that I am feeling very unprepared. Any feed back on what I need to get would be great!!

Life is to be enjoyed...not just endured!
#2 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took some evening primrose oil early in labor... I tuned in to babe and felt him moving during labor, which was all I needed to feel that he was doing just fine. Actually, I didn't need that, either.

You'd need something to clamp the cord with, I suppose. Besides that, just mild comfort foods and your favorite drinks.
#3 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 01:41 PM

All you need is you and the baby. I have had two midwife-assisted births and two unassisted births, and I have never taken herbs or supplements of any kind during labor. It can be a nice extra for some people in some cases, but certainly not necessary. Susun Weed's book Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year is pretty good for dosages and contraindications. Your midwife may have a copy, or maybe you can find one at the library.

It will help to squat for the placenta -- don't pull on the cord, just nurse (or do nipple stimulation if the baby doesn't want to) and wait for the urge to push. If you are concerned about bleeding, cut off a bit of the placenta and swallow it.

If you plan to cut the cord, wait until the placenta is out. You can cut anytime after the baby's breathing is well established, with a scissors sterilized in boiling water for ten minutes, and tie off with a white shoelace, sterilized also.

Fetoscope and doppler -- it's questionable how helpful they are in labor to begin with, and if you have no practice finding hearttones and knowing what they mean at various stage in labor it will just stress you out, which of course you want to avoid in labor!

Let us know if you have any more questions, and let us know how it goes!
#4 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM

I second Blueviolet's post. If you want herbal medicines, maybe your midwife could suggest something for you.
However, if you are leary about taking anything- maybe going without is best.
Thats' how we did it. We had all sorts of stuff, Shepherds purse, blue/black cohosh, arnica tablets. All of which we used after the birth- very minimally I might add, and I felt they provided very little value to the whole event.
please come visit us often- lots of terrific mamas here with good heads on their shoulders.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#5 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM

I agree with BV. All you need is you and baby. Dh if you want Peaceful birthing for you.
#6 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your input!! I had an appt with my midwife this a.m. and she is delivering for me, but it will be her last in my state.... So for any future children... which there will definately be we are on our own. I will be visiting here much more often. I love childbirth and will definately be educating myself more!! Thanks so much for your input. It is nice to know that there are people who "just do it"... and don't use a ton of interventions and stuff!! Thanks again!

#7 of 8 Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

amyjean~ I just read Sydney's birth story!! Amazing!! Congratulations!

#8 of 8 Old 02-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Hey- thanks Amber!
all my best!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page