Considering UBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2005, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I am due in early June with my 3rd baby. First was vag. hospital birth. 9lb6oz, 14.5" head, molding on the side/crown, so he was not coming out in the best way. Saying this to say that I have no worries about being able to give birth naturally. I know I was made to give birth. However, #2 I was induced (I've grown and changed alot in the last couple of years) and ended up with a c/s.
My main fears surrounding UC are that my dh will not be very supportive. He's super squeamish about anything and hates to see me hurting. So, he wouldn't have a problem driving me to the hospital if i so much as mentioned pain medicine or something.
I am seeing a mw now, but don't feel "right" with her.
Reasons I like the idea of UBAC:
I will not have to answer to anyone. There won't be anyone there to make me feel like I need to do things differently, or to make me feel embarrassed. I can listen to my own intuition about things.
Reasons I like the idea of a midwife assisted HBAC:
Someone there to check on me and notice first signs of rupture. Someone there will help my husband to feel more at ease.
Thing is, I'm not sure which way to go... I mean, with no one there I feel I will be able to listen to and trust my body more. With midwife there, I may end up putting my trust in her, and miss something from me.
K, I am sounding so wishy washy, and I'm really tired. I should have waited to post... but oh well. Any advice? input? thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2005, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My personal opinion is that UC is only right for you if it is your #1 choice and you feel completely confident. Also consider your previous labors -- were you someone who wanted to be left alone, or did you need a lot of support.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:17 AM

i am not sure if i have much to offer.. i just wanted to express some support.
I agree that it is 8rigth* if it is right for you.. i think you will know deep in your heart what is best for you and baby.. and i don't think a previous section means you *shouldn't* have a UC birth.. fidning peace of mind and faith in our bodies can be hard, but on a primal level you know your body and so does yor baby...I am sure what ever you decide will be what is best for you.. there is wonderful support out there and perhaps your partner will see your intentions and understand what this means to you..
good luck though.. let us know!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:54 AM

That sounds like a difficult choice. I agree that it has to be something you feel 100% confident about (as much as that's possible) but then so does any birth scenario. Maybe you need a new MW? Maybe you can just "forget" to call her until bubs has arrived? "Oops, quick labour, really..." In terms of scar dehiscence, you would feel it and your labour would most likely stall. You are very likely to *just know* that something isn't right and what action you need to take. Even as a first time mama I just knew something wasn't right when my baby got stuck I said it was wrong way before my (highly skilled and very good) MW could tell from other signs.

I hope you sort this out and get some peace. Labour is not the time to be working out issues with your caregiver so it's good that you're thinking about this now.

Keep us informed!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am talking with a new MW now. The reason it's hard to switch is the one we have been seeing is the only one I can find who doesn't make us pay up front, and she will file and wait for ins. to pay. Everyone else expects to be paid in full by 36 weeks and then we file for reimbursement. I finally talked to one yesterday though who said we could talk and try to work out payment plans. They are a group that is about 2.5hrs away, but work all over our state and "specialize" in VBACs.
I think if it were just me, UC would totally be the way to go. But I know i can't count on DH for much if I needed help. He may come through when I'm in labor, but for now he's afraid. He thinks it is going to be like the last couple of hours of my hospital birth. After they broke the water for no reason and "made" me lie in bed. When they all started coming in and I couldn't go into my own place. He doesn't understand that that was caused by fear and all the other things going on then. ANyway, thanks for the advice. If something happens and I can't get this MW I may be back here.

User Tag List