Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: on the edge of a 5 million acre forest
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hawkfeather~ i'm just finishing my 35th week, and have had similar wonderings. i had some contractions for a couple evenings and the morning inbetween last week. so i was really faced with "when would i be willing to uc?" for me, the answer is whenever it happens. i trust my body and my baby to know. dh had the same response. right after i came to that decision, my best friend reminded me of the birth story of a mutual friend. she was still a mw student at the time, i believe, and was at 34 weeks with her 3rd. her water broke, but she didn't start labor. apparently protocol in her town, if you're not going to induce, is to be in the hosp. on an i.v. drip of antibiotics. so she dutifully goes in and starts that b/c she definitely didn't want to induce. then she's laying there thinking i don't believe all this hype, and i don't want antibiotics. so she rips out the i.v. and goes home. she ends up going into labor and has a beautiful/healthy 6 lb+ boy. she put more energy into keeping him near her and warm than if he'd gone full term and been a 10 lb-er. probably doing a kangaroo care kind of thing. so at the end of telling me this story, my friend, who's had her 3 at home, told me that lots of women birth at 34 weeks, even though most mws won't attend before 36 or 37 weeks. don't know about this, but i would birth whenever the babe decided to show up...esp. at this point. i feel like i'm close enough to the "law of 40 weeks" that if he/she was born it would be ok.
Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh